Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AVG Free 9.0

05 Sep 2010   #1
bulla

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
AVG Free 9.0

Has anyone had a problem with Windows 7.0 and AVG Free 9.0

I have loaded the software and it runs for a while then I get a message that says "There are no active components". When I try to click on the Overview nothing happens. I have gone to the AVG website and tried some of the fixes recommended including reinstalling the AVG software - all to no avail.

Any ideas???

Windows 7 Ultimate
System 32-bit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Sep 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

I would not waste time worrying or trying to fix. Download Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and the Windows Firewall. You will have great protection and the end of the problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #3
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I would not waste time worrying or trying to fix. Download Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and the Windows Firewall. You will have great protection and the end of the problems.
Absolutely concur!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Sep 2010   #4
royal tyrant

Window's 7 Home Premium 32 Bit
 
 

Please do not waste your time with AVG, It slowed down my boot up of windows 7, I use avira antivir premium but take the advice and go with MSE, Its got good rep on this forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #5
bulla

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
AVG Free 9.0

Thanks for all your help you guys (richc46, marsmimar & royal tyrant). I certainly appreciated it. I have taken your advice, uninstalled AVG Free 9, installed both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and am running with the current Windows Firewall. So far so good.

Thanks again for all your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Malwarebytes has outdated definitions when downloaded, be sure to update.
The first scan should be the full scan and it takes about 90 minutes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #7
thehappyman

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bulla View Post
Has anyone had a problem with Windows 7.0 and AVG Free 9.0

I have loaded the software and it runs for a while then I get a message that says "There are no active components". When I try to click on the Overview nothing happens. I have gone to the AVG website and tried some of the fixes recommended including reinstalling the AVG software - all to no avail.

Any ideas???

Windows 7 Ultimate
System 32-bit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz
I used AVG Free on my Win XP system for the last 5 years and loved it. Until recently that is - now they are trying to force everybody to goto a paid version with lots of "nag messages" and infrequent virus database updates.
Well, I just recently upgraded my XP to Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit but wanted to keep using AVG as it had proved to be reliable and had caused little system overhead in the past. So I broke down and BOUGHT AVG's new Anti Virus/Anti Spyware specifically compatible with the Win 7 32 and 64 bit OS's. I know their going to hit me up once a year for a "license renewal" but Im sick and tired of the nag messages and I dont really like the other alternatives out there (I've tried a bunch) so yes I paid $29.99 for it.
Well it installed perfectly and so far works perfectly so I'm happy. Really dont want a virus. Dont know why they still call it "Free".

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #8
antharr

Windows 7 64x
 
 

Avast or MSE over AVG IMO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #9
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bulla View Post
Thanks for all your help you guys (richc46, marsmimar & royal tyrant). I certainly appreciated it. I have taken your advice, uninstalled AVG Free 9, installed both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and am running with the current Windows Firewall. So far so good.

Thanks again for all your help
A very good move. Good job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #10
polarbear

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Avast or MSE and there both free. GL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AVG Free 9.0




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is registering Avast! Free Antivirus free?
I downloaded Avast because it was free. It says that I have to register to Avast! Free Anti-virus. I thought this program was free? Or is registering for free?
System Security
Avast 7 free! AV + Comodo Free Firewall Conflicts
I have always used Avast and Comodo as my AV/Firewall combination. I find it to be very useful, and although Comodo provides many annoying popups, they are useful and informational (I would consider myself a competent computer user, though no expert). Recently, I just wanted to see how good my...
System Security
Need advice for free antivirus+free firewall combo
I was thinking of the free ZoneAlarm firewall+free Avast! Antivirus combination. What do you think? Any better choice? Thanks.
System Security
Free Win 7 with Product Key By Attend free launch event
Looking for free copy of Windows 7? Now is your chance to take home a copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional edition, complete with genuine valid product key to activate the operating system permanently. Microsoft is hosting many of The New Efficiency launch events for Windows 7, Windows Server...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App