Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Norton Internet Security 2011 vs Avast! Free 5.0

14 Sep 2010   #21
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
But that is more Secure because is NIS Or any Norton product will have a Trust Level and when a Program is trusted it will skip that File when Scanning This is good but it can miss a Virus that could be Attached to the File that is Trusted
Not exactly. NIS still does full File Scans periodically.

If it Done a Full File scan say, yesterday, then today if a 'Trusted" file has not changed since that last "Full' scan it gets skipped.
If it changed for some reason, it would have been scanned at the time of change.
And, (I think its weekly Ill have to check), A full scan runs. meaning Everything gets scanned again.

On top of all this you also have SONAR3.


I wouldn't call it less secure by any means.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Sep 2010   #22
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Yeah I suppose your Right
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2010   #23
antares

Windows XP Professional SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

NIS has one of the best, if not THE best firewall in the market. Antimalware is a whole different issue, Norton not very good in this, I'd suggest Avira, Avast, MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2010   #24
javelin009

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I recently installed internet explorer 9 beta on my windows 7 laptop. I am using norton internet security 2010 and I am very happy with it. Its fast and effective. The point is, after I installed internet explorer 9, my norton site safety stopped working. I have tried live update but nothing happens. What should I do now? Should I uninstall the beta?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2010   #25
antares

Windows XP Professional SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by javelin009 View Post
I recently installed internet explorer 9 beta on my windows 7 laptop. I am using norton internet security 2010 and I am very happy with it. Its fast and effective. The point is, after I installed internet explorer 9, my norton site safety stopped working. I have tried live update but nothing happens. What should I do now? Should I uninstall the beta?
IE9 is still beta as you said, most probably NIS does not support that feature yet for IE9.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2010   #26
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

As far as the original question is concerned -- NONE OF THE ABOVE.

THERE IS NO VALUE IN AFTER THE FACT ANALYSIS. If you have got a virus or even THINK you have then at a minimum an image restore from a known clean image is your best bet.

You only know the tiime period between your last clean scan and the current one so Anything could have happened in that time frame.

Otherwise a full clean install again.

I would NEVER EVER trust a system that had a virus on it and was "cleansed" using AV software.

Only AV software that has REAL TIME protection in it is of any value these days.

MSE tends to be OK, small, and is FREE.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2010   #27
si8mon

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cookie66 View Post
I heard bad reviews about it [MSE]......
When? Because I never heard anything bad about it. But I think Avast (which I use) is better than Norton but MSE is better than Avast.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2010   #28
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by si8mon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cookie66 View Post
I heard bad reviews about it [MSE]......
When? Because I never heard anything bad about it. But I think Avast (which I use) is better but MSE is better than Avast.
Hi all
especially to cookie66 -- if you've heard bad reviews please quote "Chapter and Verse" or at least provide a link to the source of your statement.

Anybody can say "X is bad" but please add links / references etc so the provenance of your argument can be validated -- otherwise one can only assume another sub teen pre high school person "know all" is posting stuff about which he / she knows KNOTHING about.

Not trying to be insulting or start flaming but unsubstantiated comments tend to devalue the whole value of information potentially available on the Internet.


Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2010   #29
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I find this site very useful when deciding on an anti-virus product:

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2010   #30
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
As far as the original question is concerned -- NONE OF THE ABOVE.

THERE IS NO VALUE IN AFTER THE FACT ANALYSIS. If you have got a virus or even THINK you have then at a minimum an image restore from a known clean image is your best bet.

You only know the tiime period between your last clean scan and the current one so Anything could have happened in that time frame.

Otherwise a full clean install again.

I would NEVER EVER trust a system that had a virus on it and was "cleansed" using AV software.

Only AV software that has REAL TIME protection in it is of any value these days.

MSE tends to be OK, small, and is FREE.

Cheers
jimbo
Wow! In other words, if MSE found a virus and cleaned it (or at least claimed to), you wouldnt trust and reinstall/ reimage anyways? Doesnt seem any point to using an AV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Norton Internet Security 2011 vs Avast! Free 5.0




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Norton internet security 2011 file updates ?
is there Norton internet security 2011 file updates ? I tried this Symantec Endpoint Protection | Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition - Symantec Corp. but it still need 122 mb of uptades
System Security
Avast! Free 5.1 final vs Comodo Internet security 5.0
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I need protection. It only has 1GB of RAM, so would I get Avast! free 5.1 or Comodo internet security 5.0? I was thinking of maybe MSE 2.0, but heard it is not RAM friendly.
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2011
Full Review
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2011 Beta Review
OK today I installed and tested Norton Internet Security 2011 beta. Installation is pretty simple and nothing has changed from the previous version. Main Window:
System Security
Avira free or Norton Internet Security???
Hi! I know this is the eternal question, but let me tell you about my dilemma : Since i run Seven, i use Avira free edition + Windows Firewall & Win7 Firewall Control + Spybot but my internet provider offers me freely Norton Internet Security 2010 with my subsciption... I used NIS2009...
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2010 for 6 months free
Hello guys Here is Norton promotion page that you will get NIS 2010 key for 6 month for free! Page is for 2009 but it will work on 2010 version to! NIS 2010 is one of the best security suits in the world! :D This is just for you guys! Enjoy :D ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App