Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dead Antivirus 2010 key...

26 Dec 2010   #1
Ballistic

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 
Dead Antivirus 2010 key...

I originally bought a 3 PC 1 User retail box... I had only used the key once on my PC but then I rebuilt and only used the hard drives from the previous system so when I went to reinstall the anti-virus, after formatting and reinstalling windows I used the same key and it activated just fine so that was considered 2 uses of my key and then I unlocked the fourth core on my CPU and the anti-virus acknowledged that I had changed something and wanted me to reactivate which worked so that was 3 uses of the key but then I had an issue which I thought may have been related to the unlocked core so I disabled the core and it noticed again that hardware had changed so I tried to reactivate and it wouldn't work and I got the problem sorted which wasn't related to the CPU after all so I unlocked the fourth core again and tried to reactivate but nothing.... Basically the key was always used on the same computer but because of hardware I used up my 3 uses... I contacted Norton to explain how I accidentally used them but how it was on the same PC and they wouldn't even hear it... They told me flat that according to their collected information the key I had inquired about had exceeded it's available uses and I was welcome to purchase another but they could and would do nothing about the key I had inquired on....


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Dec 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I originally bought a 3 PC 1 User retail box... I had only used the key once on my PC but then I rebuilt and only used the hard drives from the previous system so when I went to reinstall the anti-virus, after formatting and reinstalling windows I used the same key and it activated just fine so that was considered 2 uses of my key and then I unlocked the fourth core on my CPU and the anti-virus acknowledged that I had changed something and wanted me to reactivate which worked so that was 3 uses of the key but then I had an issue which I thought may have been related to the unlocked core so I disabled the core and it noticed again that hardware had changed so I tried to reactivate and it wouldn't work and I got the problem sorted which wasn't related to the CPU after all so I unlocked the fourth core again and tried to reactivate but nothing.... Basically the key was always used on the same computer but because of hardware I used up my 3 uses... I contacted Norton to explain how I accidentally used them but how it was on the same PC and they wouldn't even hear it... They told me flat that according to their collected information the key I had inquired about had exceeded it's available uses and I was welcome to purchase another but they could and would do nothing about the key I had inquired on....
I am not a fan of Norton anyway so it may be a blessing in disguise. Norton/Symantec has one of the highest frequency of BSOD's among av apps.

If I were you I would remove it and replace with Microsoft Security essentials.



Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #3
Ballistic

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I originally bought a 3 PC 1 User retail box... I had only used the key once on my PC but then I rebuilt and only used the hard drives from the previous system so when I went to reinstall the anti-virus, after formatting and reinstalling windows I used the same key and it activated just fine so that was considered 2 uses of my key and then I unlocked the fourth core on my CPU and the anti-virus acknowledged that I had changed something and wanted me to reactivate which worked so that was 3 uses of the key but then I had an issue which I thought may have been related to the unlocked core so I disabled the core and it noticed again that hardware had changed so I tried to reactivate and it wouldn't work and I got the problem sorted which wasn't related to the CPU after all so I unlocked the fourth core again and tried to reactivate but nothing.... Basically the key was always used on the same computer but because of hardware I used up my 3 uses... I contacted Norton to explain how I accidentally used them but how it was on the same PC and they wouldn't even hear it... They told me flat that according to their collected information the key I had inquired about had exceeded it's available uses and I was welcome to purchase another but they could and would do nothing about the key I had inquired on....
I am not a fan of Norton anyway so it may be a blessing in disguise. Norton/Symantec has one of the highest frequency of BSOD's among av apps.

If I were you I would remove it and replace with Microsoft Security essentials.



Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

True but it's still pretty horrible that initially I activated it with the same CPU... I explained this but Norton didn't care which really indicates a lack of customer support on their end... Just a waste of money, which is what's ticking me off... Thanks for the input though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I originally bought a 3 PC 1 User retail box... I had only used the key once on my PC but then I rebuilt and only used the hard drives from the previous system so when I went to reinstall the anti-virus, after formatting and reinstalling windows I used the same key and it activated just fine so that was considered 2 uses of my key and then I unlocked the fourth core on my CPU and the anti-virus acknowledged that I had changed something and wanted me to reactivate which worked so that was 3 uses of the key but then I had an issue which I thought may have been related to the unlocked core so I disabled the core and it noticed again that hardware had changed so I tried to reactivate and it wouldn't work and I got the problem sorted which wasn't related to the CPU after all so I unlocked the fourth core again and tried to reactivate but nothing.... Basically the key was always used on the same computer but because of hardware I used up my 3 uses... I contacted Norton to explain how I accidentally used them but how it was on the same PC and they wouldn't even hear it... They told me flat that according to their collected information the key I had inquired about had exceeded it's available uses and I was welcome to purchase another but they could and would do nothing about the key I had inquired on....
I am not a fan of Norton anyway so it may be a blessing in disguise. Norton/Symantec has one of the highest frequency of BSOD's among av apps.

If I were you I would remove it and replace with Microsoft Security essentials.



Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

True but it's still pretty horrible that initially I activated it with the same CPU... I explained this but Norton didn't care which really indicates a lack of customer support on their end... Just a waste of money, which is what's ticking me off... Thanks for the input though

Dont blame you for being ticked off. I used to be a Norton fan boy till they started becoming buggy and bloated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #5
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Wow! Thats a bit harsh of Norton. I've been using it since NIS2010 (now NIS2011) and have never had a BSOD directly related to it...perhaps I'm lucky.

I agree with ZigZag : since you need a new anti-virus anyway, I would also recommend MSE to you. It's what I will move to when my NIS subscription expires.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #6
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Whenever I have to deal with unhelpful people like over the phone (tech. support calls)-- I ask to speak to their manager. If you can, phone their technical support rather than e-mail it-- that way they'll have to put you through to their manager (rather than just pretend to forward your support e-mail.)

Facts are your friend. I'm sure that on their end they'll be able to see when the activations were made, from which IP address and maybe other hardware related facts. Use the facts to win your case. They may reset the last two activations if you're lucky.

Other than that I don't see what you could do.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I contacted Norton to explain how I accidentally used them but how it was on the same PC and they wouldn't even hear it... They told me flat that according to their collected information the key I had inquired about had exceeded it's available uses and I was welcome to purchase another but they could and would do nothing about the key I had inquired on....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dead Antivirus 2010 key...




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
retrieve emails from a dead Outlook 2010 account....please
I could really use some help please. I had an Outlook 2010 account as a contracted person with the UN and they killed the account and decided to use a gmail account (I have no idea why!). I would like to get all my emails (folders too if possible) on, say, a USB stick and then put it on my new work...
Browsers & Mail
G Data AntiVirus 2010
more
System Security
i'am looking for 2010 antivirus comparison
hi i'am looking for 2010 antivirus comparison thank's in advance
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App