Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: mcafee won't scan windows7 files in \windows\winsxs

16 Jun 2011   #1
dalai

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 
mcafee won't scan windows7 files in \windows\winsxs

mcafee appear to be happy to go round in circles without fixing my problem?

my PC will only scan 99% and always gets stuck on files in \windows\winsxs

mcafee tell me that the files must be corrupt but I've done a disk cleanup, sfc /scannow, chkdsk and everything is ok.

anyone any suggestions or is there another antivirus company who can do the job?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2011   #2
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dalai View Post
mcafee appear to be happy to go round in circles without fixing my problem?

my PC will only scan 99% and always gets stuck on files in \windows\winsxs

mcafee tell me that the files must be corrupt but I've done a disk cleanup, sfc /scannow, chkdsk and everything is ok.

anyone any suggestions or is there another antivirus company who can do the job?
Hi,welcome to SF
You use mcfee?DONT.
macfee gives many problems in win 7 and with those sometimes BSOD.
Well please do the follow steps,
Download and install CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Download MSE Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
Uninstall macfee,clean registry with ccleaner,restart.
Install MSE,restart.
Scan with MSE.
----------------------------
I recommend also extra scans,
Download,Install,update,scan with Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer
Download,Install,update,scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloading File
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #3
Heyyou

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dalai View Post
mcafee appear to be happy to go round in circles without fixing my problem?

my PC will only scan 99% and always gets stuck on files in \windows\winsxs

mcafee tell me that the files must be corrupt but I've done a disk cleanup, sfc /scannow, chkdsk and everything is ok.

anyone any suggestions or is there another antivirus company who can do the job?
Hi,welcome to SF
You use mcfee?DONT.
macfee gives many problems in win 7 and with those sometimes BSOD.
Well please do the follow steps,
Download and install CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Download MSE Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
Uninstall macfee,clean registry with ccleaner,restart.
Install MSE,restart.
Scan with MSE.
----------------------------
I recommend also extra scans,
Download,Install,update,scan with Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer
Download,Install,update,scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloading File
I'll second that! As a suggestion, Avast! AV is also a good choice. I just bought a new computer that came with 15 months free McAfee. The fist thing I did once the computer was up was uninstall the McAfee.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2011   #4
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dalai View Post
mcafee appear to be happy to go round in circles without fixing my problem?

my PC will only scan 99% and always gets stuck on files in \windows\winsxs

mcafee tell me that the files must be corrupt but I've done a disk cleanup, sfc /scannow, chkdsk and everything is ok.

anyone any suggestions or is there another antivirus company who can do the job?
Hi,welcome to SF
You use mcfee?DONT.
macfee gives many problems in win 7 and with those sometimes BSOD.
Well please do the follow steps,
Download and install CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Download MSE Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
Uninstall macfee,clean registry with ccleaner,restart.
Install MSE,restart.
Scan with MSE.
----------------------------
I recommend also extra scans,
Download,Install,update,scan with Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer
Download,Install,update,scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloading File
I'll second that! As a suggestion, Avast! AV is also a good choice. I just bought a new computer that came with 15 months free McAfee. The fist thing I did once the computer was up was uninstall the McAfee.
AVAST also in many cases cause a BSOD,thats why i recommended MSE.
I dont want my advice to give/cause extra troubles like BSOD aswSP.sys error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #5
Heyyou

WIN7 x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by panais View Post
Hi,welcome to SF
You use mcfee?DONT.
macfee gives many problems in win 7 and with those sometimes BSOD.
Well please do the follow steps,
Download and install CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Download MSE Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
Uninstall macfee,clean registry with ccleaner,restart.
Install MSE,restart.
Scan with MSE.
----------------------------
I recommend also extra scans,
Download,Install,update,scan with Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer
Download,Install,update,scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloading File
I'll second that! As a suggestion, Avast! AV is also a good choice. I just bought a new computer that came with 15 months free McAfee. The fist thing I did once the computer was up was uninstall the McAfee.
AVAST also in many cases cause a BSOD,thats why i recommended MSE.
I dont want my advice to give/cause extra troubles like BSOD aswSP.sys error.
Sorry to hear that. I haven't experienced any BSOD's while using Avast over the past few years on my XP or WIN7 computers. Reading the Avast forum doesn't show BSOD's as a probable problem, although I'm sure there will always be someone who has a problem with any software. I'm sure MSE will be fine if that's the choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #6
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

MSE is a far better choice than any other free AV out there right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #7
dalai

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

I want to give Mcafee a chance to fix this but currently they're in denial and insist my \windows\winsxs files are corrupt and that is why it won't complete the scan. But if I copy these files to say a memory stick then Mcafee scans ok so the files are not corrupt.

In summary: On my Windows 7 PC Mcafee won't scan passed 99 percent and each scan stops on a different file in \windows\winsxs. On my Windows 7 Notebook Mcafee scans ok.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #8
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

I've had first hand experiences with McAfee...all bad.

It frequently missed viruses/worms that I picked up on my FD at school, while MSE caught them.

The final straw was when they did an "Upgrade" for their security center and the process hosed McAfee so badly that even doing a system restore 2 or 3 points back couldn't help it.

It also impeded the running of some windows files.

I'm sorry, but I think the best option would be to go with another AV. Have a look at this article for a reference guide:

What's the Best Anti-virus?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #9
dalai

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

ok thanks and I think you may be right.

MSE Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials is this better than McAfee?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #10
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dalai View Post
ok thanks and I think you may be right.

MSE Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials is this better than McAfee?
Yes. I also had problems with McAfee. None with MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 mcafee won't scan windows7 files in \windows\winsxs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Error during windows update, BSOD on 49% of McAfee virus scan
Hi, I have the error code 9C57 when doing windows updates. I was able to run the SURT. But when I tried to run the command prompt sfc /scannow, I got this message "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility" There are no other users on this...
Windows Updates & Activation
McAfee GetSusp Scan Results
Hello, I have recently suspected that I have a malicious program on my computer. Before running, some .EXE files will give an error message about "cbFsMntNtf3.dll", which is a file of 0 bytes. I have since deleted it, and there have been NO further problems related to that error message. ...
System Security
Files in Windows/winsxs folder. Can I delete them?
While doing a thorough scan with Malwarebytes I found it slogging through a folder under 'Windows' named 'winsxs'. In it are hundreds of similar files, all beginning "amd64_microsoft. followed by a long string that varies a bit from the previous ones. This is on my HP laptop 64 bit Win 7 machine....
General Discussion
Is-it possible to delete files in WinSxS\Temp
Hello, I have a lot of files in the folder : C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\ Is-it possible to delete files in C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames ? thanks !
BSOD Help and Support
winsxs Files
My W7 winsxs folder is 15 GB. About half of the files are amd64_......... What are these files for? Are they for AMD 64 bit processing systems? If my system uses an Intel processor can I delete these amd64_ files? I could save about 7.5 GB space if they aren't used by my system.
General Discussion
Does McAfee antivirus have any problems quasi Windows7 SteadyState?
Microsoft releases SteadyState documents for Windows 7 | Malware - InfoWorld If you check out the link, you'll find out there is a way to set up Windows 7 to mimic Steady State. Does anyone know if this configuration would have trouble with Mcafee?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:08.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App