Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?

22 Nov 2011   #51
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baxxter View Post
I decided to use NIS 2011 ,thanks all

Well good luck baxxter as you know I am KIS to the core but each to his own and in any case none of them pick up everything - it's an impossibility. Plus my experience with NIS was in the distant past perhaps they have got their game together now.

I recently played with an NIS 2012 OEM bundle on a friends machine and hey the GUI and configing was ok I just swayed by the different reviews it has had particularly the matousec one.

Hey and don't forget to back it up with the free MBAM mate (two AV rule). Oh and I always set this as per piccie as my KIS doesn't like it set (ticked).




Attached Thumbnails
Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?-mbam-settings.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2011   #52
pincushion

Windows 7 x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pincushion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baxxter View Post
I decided to use NIS 2011 ,thanks all
I can understand why some people seem to have a hatred of Norton - perhaps they were bitten as babies - but it can be tamed and is quite effective at keeping malware off your system if you aren't too reckless and disable everything. I have used it for quite a time and haven't had any problems. Have used 360 which is probably the dumbed down version but am going back to NIS 2011. I don't use the Identity Protection, Backup or the PC Tuneup apart from the Startup manager, preferring other means of doing these. I tweak the Settings to disable much in there as some I think can be quite intrusive and usually set it to Silent Mode all day once it has updated and do a Quickscan either at same time or later. Seems to behave well enough for me but it has to be controlled properly.
I suppose it's all valid points you make, but what you have to consider, is that in my case at least it doesn't have anything to do with a failure in protection from either of the two. It has to do with the massive amount of machines I've worked on over the years that are suffering debilitating bsod's because of one or the other of these two software suites (the free av's aren't exempt from this either)
The reason I openly suggest MSE is not because I think it offers the best protection, that would be ridiculous given the available data on the subject. I suggest it because it's about 90% less likely to result in problems given my own personal experience.

...and while granted I'm sure these two av's work fine for many people ( I don't suspect they would still be in business were this not the case) I've seen way too many nightmare scenarios involving them over the years to just recommend either of them openly to 'average' level users.
Hi

I know I am not your typical user and am sufficiently knowledgable to adjust all my software to do what I want but I have never had BSODs on this system or on my XP system that was due to Norton. In fact I rarely if ever had them. I think Norton is bloated and does try to cater for the lowest skilled users but properly configured it does an effective job and is not too intrusive. Like all anti-malware software over the years it has its good and bad eras but overall it has maintained its reputation for an effective integrated solution to avoid malware. I do suspect that other things often cause the problems that are put down to Norton though. Mainly my system doesn't suffer from such problems so perhaps that is where I have had so good an experience. It is the only anti-malware I use for online protection.

I would never say that it is the best since I have not used many of the other good anti-malware software that is available whether free or paid but it has worked for me even if it is annoying having to customise it so much to make it less intrusive.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #53
killjoy

Win7 32 bit
 
 

Doesn't almost everyone get a free antivirus with their service provider? I'll bet if you go to whoever you get your internet from's website that you'll see a link to an antivirus solution they offer. It's in their best interests to keep zombie servers off their network. QWest used to offer OneCare - don't know about now. Comcast offers Norton 360 v5.

By the way, since I've installed Norton, I know it must be my imagination, but my computer seems to be faster, which makes no sense, but things are snappier. And the way it handles memory is fantastic. It uses almost no memory (2600 K), which is as good as Panda's netbook version. It also uses the cloud like Panda, and the detection rates are always better than KIS. KIS updates are a pain whereas I've never seen Norton do anything, everything is done in the background, including system optimization. But when I look at the log, there it is... It's defragged, cleaned the registry, reported system errors all while I stepped away from my computer to grab a beer or give my girlfriend some attention. In this day and age of advanced computing, there's no reason you should ever have to "maintain" a computer manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2011   #54
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
By the way, since I've installed Norton, I know it must be my imagination, but my computer seems to be faster, which makes no sense, but things are snappier. And the way it handles memory is fantastic. It uses almost no memory (2600 K), which is as good as Panda's netbook version. It also uses the cloud like Panda, and the detection rates are always better than KIS. KIS updates are a pain whereas I've never seen Norton do anything, everything is done in the background, including system optimization. But when I look at the log, there it is... It's defragged, cleaned the registry, reported system errors all while I stepped away from my computer to grab a beer or give my girlfriend some attention. In this day and age of advanced computing, there's no reason you should ever have to "maintain" a computer manually.
Has it aligned the planets and brought such peace that communication with all forms of life is now possible, while simultaneously transporting you to a desert island of super models on which you are the only male?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #55
killjoy

Win7 32 bit
 
 
LOL

No :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #56
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

oh... okay then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #57
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
By the way, since I've installed Norton, I know it must be my imagination, but my computer seems to be faster, which makes no sense, but things are snappier. And the way it handles memory is fantastic. It uses almost no memory (2600 K), which is as good as Panda's netbook version. It also uses the cloud like Panda, and the detection rates are always better than KIS. KIS updates are a pain whereas I've never seen Norton do anything, everything is done in the background, including system optimization. But when I look at the log, there it is... It's defragged, cleaned the registry, reported system errors all while I stepped away from my computer to grab a beer or give my girlfriend some attention. In this day and age of advanced computing, there's no reason you should ever have to "maintain" a computer manually.
Has it aligned the planets and brought such peace that communication with all forms of life is now possible, while simultaneously transporting you to a desert island of super models on which you are the only male?
That feature is turned off by default and I have not been able to find way to activate it. The salesmen at Best Buy told me it was included.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2011   #58
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

oh, I was just ensuring it hadn't become all powerful.
Still keeping an eye open for skynet ...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #59
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
oh, I was just ensuring it hadn't become all powerful.
Still keeping an eye open for skynet ...
Probably making a Terminator for Snorton
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2011   #60
killjoy

Win7 32 bit
 
 

I just looked at my Norton log this morning and somehow it managed to do a complete scan yesterday in-between my work sessions. I'm looking at my memory usage all the time because I do computer simulations of manufacturing lines, and I need that memory and quick response. It never interfered with me. Sorry fellas, but I'm a fan of Norton, at least for now. In short, it stays completely out of sight and does its job plus what I was using Advanced System Care for which DID interfere with me constantly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help.I need help from pros
so my computer is in desperate need of a graphics card. All I have right now is a Intel(r)Grantsdale-G Graphics Chip Accelerated But the problem is, my computer only has 3 pci classic slots. I have looked constantly on the internet for a good graphics card but to no prevail. If i could have...
Graphic Cards
need advice from the pros
at the moment i have 2 ati saphire 4890 cards. i just wana know wat works better with my mother board?? should i replace the 4890 with these GF 9600 GT ?????? http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/397/imgp3141.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Graphic Cards
pros and cons of OC
alright ,just want to ask what is the pros and cons of OC aka OVERCLOCKING regardless of what pc component eg CPU, FSB frequency and Graphic card
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App