Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?

05 Aug 2011   #1
baxxter

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 Bit
 
 
Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?

Im asking evry one have one of them (Norton or Kaspersky) tell what are the pros and the cos ?
I mean tell us your experience


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Aug 2011   #2
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I'm not a huge fan of either (as I see both of them causing problems for people here and there)
However, if I was forced to pick I'd go with the 2012 kapersky.
They've redesigned the interface and the application itself.
It's much more streamlined and a lot less resource hungry than it was just last year.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #3
baxxter

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I'm not a huge fan of either (as I see both of them causing problems for people here and there)
However, if I was forced to pick I'd go with the 2012 kapersky.
They've redesigned the interface and the application itself.
It's much more streamlined and a lot less resource hungry than it was just last year.
What was the problems ?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Aug 2011   #4
Athene

 

I'm very happy with my Norton 2011...but in the end choosing an antivirus program seems to be a matter of taste :-) You'll find lovers and haters of the same product...You've got to do your own research and make up your own mind :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #5
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

I have seen good reports on both of these products from these two reputably test sites.
AV-TEST.org · Tests of Anti-Virus- and Security-Software
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org

My personal choice, Norton Internet Security 2011, has served me well so I can only comment on it. It has lots of different security features that work well together and provide an overall protection package. Two features I like are the Norton toolbar which has a Safe Web indicator for trusted sites and will alert you to the bad guys. Identity Safe that stores your web site login and passwords and will populate the login information.
Also the licensee key is good for 1 year from first install and you get a free update to the new versions during that year.
Check out those two sites and review the tests. I know NIS has a 30day free trial so you can try before you buy.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #6
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baxxter View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I'm not a huge fan of either (as I see both of them causing problems for people here and there)
However, if I was forced to pick I'd go with the 2012 kapersky.
They've redesigned the interface and the application itself.
It's much more streamlined and a lot less resource hungry than it was just last year.
What was the problems ?!

Same as any AV/firewall gone mad.
Ranges anywhere from minor connection issues, to debilitating bsod's.
This is just how it is though, about the only one I've not seen inducing bsod's is MSE, but it's protection level is pretty weak compared with most premium options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #7
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baxxter View Post
Im asking evry one have one of them (Norton or Kaspersky) tell what are the pros and the cos ?
I mean tell us your experience
A FYI -
{Refer to our resident BSOD Analysts.}
Norton, Kaspersky {plus some others} have been implicated / associated with BSOD's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #8
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Pros

You have less discretionary income to blow elsewhere



Cons

BSOD's, instability, difficult to remove, use many resources.

IMHO I think you get the idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2011   #9
Crush

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote:
You have less discretionary income to blow elsewhere


My 2 cents:

An antivirus is as good as you make it . It's all about whether you will use it and find it easy to use. If that is Norton go with it, if that is Kaspersky go with it. Will detections vary from software to software? Sure but follow the ground rules of using the computer and internet and you will be fine whichever you choose
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2011   #10
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
I have seen good reports on both of these products from these two reputably test sites.
AV-TEST.org · Tests of Anti-Virus- and Security-Software
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org

My personal choice, Norton Internet Security 2011, has served me well so I can only comment on it. It has lots of different security features that work well together and provide an overall protection package. Two features I like are the Norton toolbar which has a Safe Web indicator for trusted sites and will alert you to the bad guys. Identity Safe that stores your web site login and passwords and will populate the login information.
Also the licensee key is good for 1 year from first install and you get a free update to the new versions during that year.
Check out those two sites and review the tests. I know NIS has a 30day free trial so you can try before you buy.

Jim
Couldn't agree more... Over the past 18 months or so I've moved 100's of clients to NIS2010/NIS2011. The only negative result is reduced personal income as I seldom do service calls any longer related to virus and malware problems. The upside, happy clients...

I'd suggest you test the product yourself and draw your own conclusions. The frequent post implying a big footprint and reduced system performance are nonsense. Additionally, saving $50.00 annually by running a combination of FREE products can certainly come back to haunt you, IMO…
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pros and Cos (Norton vs Kaspersky ) ?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help.I need help from pros
so my computer is in desperate need of a graphics card. All I have right now is a Intel(r)Grantsdale-G Graphics Chip Accelerated But the problem is, my computer only has 3 pci classic slots. I have looked constantly on the internet for a good graphics card but to no prevail. If i could have...
Graphic Cards
need advice from the pros
at the moment i have 2 ati saphire 4890 cards. i just wana know wat works better with my mother board?? should i replace the 4890 with these GF 9600 GT ?????? http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/397/imgp3141.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Graphic Cards
pros and cons of OC
alright ,just want to ask what is the pros and cons of OC aka OVERCLOCKING regardless of what pc component eg CPU, FSB frequency and Graphic card
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App