What security setup do you have?

Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,056
    Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
       #421

    One resident AV and one on-demand scanner should suffice. But you dont have to believe me.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 173
    windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
       #422

    Bill2 said:
    One resident AV and one on-demand scanner should suffice. But you dont have to believe me.
    Thanks for the reply. But IMO one strong firewall is really needed others are optional.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,056
    Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
       #423

    You can configure advanced settings in windows firewall, but I have no quarrel if you use a 3rd party one.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 173
    windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
       #424

    It was not a quarrel bill i am perfectly happy to discuss any issue after all it helps me to learn something new everytime. I tried advanced control in windows firewall but unfortunatly i find it very confusing.

    Regards
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
       #425

    I have a few different machines:

    My netbook: Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro
    Laptop: Panda Cloud + CounterSpy + Winpatrol Plus
    Desktop: Panda Cloud + CounterSpy
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 28
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       #426

    Norton360 and Norton DNS
    Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware
    I also have a KeyScrambler and several security add-on's for Firefox.
    UAC @ Always Notify.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,476
    Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
       #427

    Ibrad said:
    I have a few different machines:

    My netbook: Panda Cloud Antivirus Pro
    Laptop: Panda Cloud + CounterSpy + Winpatrol Plus
    Desktop: Panda Cloud + CounterSpy
    I have used Counterspy in the past and loved the program.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 208
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, Linux Mint Julia, in dual boot mode
       #428

    I don't want to be cynical but is it really that important what security programs you use? It is more important
    to be careful about what you are doing, keep your windows programs and others up-to-date, and scan regularly. And remember, if you have never had a virus or whatever it may not be due to whatever security
    programs you use but simply because you have stayed below the radar and have not been targeted. So saying "I use this and this program and i have never had a virus" does not prove anything about the programs installed. You only get 100.00% safety by not going online.
    And one other thing i am more and more convinced of is to use a Linux or Ubuntu OS for safe(r) surfing (the reason why it is safer is an endless discussion).
    Don't lynch me, think about it
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 28
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       #429

    FranzB said:
    And one other thing i am more and more convinced of is to use a Linux or Ubuntu OS for safe(r) surfing (the reason why it is safer is an endless discussion).
    Don't lynch me, think about it
    I totally agree with this. I use Ubuntu for internet use and Windows 7 for important software (e.g. Microsoft, Photoshop) and I have all my documents on Windows 7. I do this because most malicious software is aimed for Windows. I'm not saying that Linux is full virus-proof but something that can affect Windows cannot affect Linux. Most Black Hats want to attack as many computers as possible, therefore writing a malicious code for Windows would be more successful at spreading than Linux. Therefore, using Linux will decrease the chances of getting a virus.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 173
    windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
       #430

    TD7BA said:
    FranzB said:
    And one other thing i am more and more convinced of is to use a Linux or Ubuntu OS for safe(r) surfing (the reason why it is safer is an endless discussion).
    Don't lynch me, think about it
    I totally agree with this. I use Ubuntu for internet use and Windows 7 for important software (e.g. Microsoft, Photoshop) and I have all my documents on Windows 7. I do this because most malicious software is aimed for Windows. I'm not saying that Linux is full virus-proof but something that can affect Windows cannot affect Linux. Most Black Hats want to attack as many computers as possible, therefore writing a malicious code for Windows would be more successful at spreading than Linux. Therefore, using Linux will decrease the chances of getting a virus.
    Using linux just for surfing the net and switching back to windows for other work is not very convinient. There are some simple ways by which it is possible to remain safe while browsing in windows environment. Just run your browser sandboxed by sandboxie or if you still not satisfaied then try virtualization. I personally like sandboxie.
    Sandboxing vs Virtual machine | EAL IT technologist (2010 Autumn)
      My Computer


 
Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08.
Find Us