Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Norton Internet Security 2010 for 6 months free

13 Oct 2009   #21
Teerex

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

They are slow. When I report malware to their submission page, it usually takes more than 36 hours for the detection to occur on my system, sometimes up to 72 hours if that happens on Friday. I guess they take their weekends seriuosly.

Safe Web is also at present a joke, a page serving malware NIS 2010 detects from a link within a site is marked Safe (!) by SafeWeb. Usually it is flagged as bad by Google before it is flagged by SafeWeb - sometimes more than 24 hours prior, and usually the page is taken down before the SafeWeb even had a chance to flag it - the bad guys see it blocked by Google and they take it down.

I tested it on the samoan earthquake, ted kennedy's death, obama nobel prize poisoned search results. It failed every single time.

I'm not a Norton hater, remember - I'm a beta tester, I use it, I like it... but I'm telling it as it is - they really need to get their asses moving faster; I guess they migh have invested to much effort in software polishing and their protective detection may have suffered because of it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Oct 2009   #22
v0id

Windows 3.11
 
 

Hey Terex (Šta ima, šta se radi u Hrvatskoj? Ja sam iz BIH!),

I was beta tester to and i got 360 day key for free!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #23
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teerex View Post
They are slow. When I report malware to their submission page, it usually takes more than 36 hours for the detection to occur on my system, sometimes up to 72 hours if that happens on Friday. I guess they take their weekends seriuosly.

Safe Web is also at present a joke, a page serving malware NIS 2010 detects from a link within a site is marked Safe (!) by SafeWeb. Usually it is flagged as bad by Google before it is flagged by SafeWeb - sometimes more than 24 hours prior, and usually the page is taken down before the SafeWeb even had a chance to flag it - the bad guys see it blocked by Google and they take it down.

I tested it on the samoan earthquake, ted kennedy's death, obama nobel prize poisoned search results. It failed every single time.

I'm not a Norton hater, remember - I'm a beta tester, I use it, I like it... but I'm telling it as it is - they really need to get their asses moving faster; I guess they migh have invested to much effort in software polishing and their protective detection may have suffered because of it.
Thanks for the info.

Finally some fair criticism from someone who actually uses it.

Greetings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2009   #24
Teerex

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Hey Terex (Šta ima, šta se radi u Hrvatskoj? Ja sam iz BIH!),

I was beta tester to and i got 360 day key for free!

Let's stick to English here, we're guests after all..

I got the keys both for N 360 (I have it on my XP, half way through that 1 year now), and for NIS 2010. Add a beta tester free copy of Windows 7 to that and I can say that I am a very lucky beta tester.

And I'm not even an IT professional or a software developer, just leveraging my experience and readin' a lot.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post

Thanks for the info.

Finally some fair criticism from someone who actually uses it.

Greetings.
You're welcome. I'm not saying that NIS 2010 doesn't perform well in most cases - especially with well established malware variants - it's just that I myself have seen many instances of Antivirus 2010 lookalike rogues getting missed, the Norton Community forum is still full of examples of users getting a rootkit despite having an updated NIS/NAV, and in the most recent feature - Download Insight saying a fake AV installer having a good reputation (!) despite being downloaded from a Safe Web-flagged RED site and being used by less than 10 users, I guess solely on account of the installer having been signed.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4328/originald.jpg

That said, you have a point, this is a weakness shared by almost all suites, and the fact I have not given up on using NIS proves that I am, generally speaking - satisfied. But Symantec is one of the biggest players with the greatest resources, and I think they should be the best - with the least ifs, buts and misses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #25
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teerex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Hey Terex (Šta ima, šta se radi u Hrvatskoj? Ja sam iz BIH!),

I was beta tester to and i got 360 day key for free!

Let's stick to English here, we're guests after all..

I got the keys both for N 360 (I have it on my XP, half way through that 1 year now), and for NIS 2010. Add a beta tester free copy of Windows 7 to that and I can say that I am a very lucky beta tester.

And I'm not even an IT professional or a software developer, just leveraging my experience and readin' a lot.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post

Thanks for the info.

Finally some fair criticism from someone who actually uses it.

Greetings.
You're welcome. I'm not saying that NIS 2010 doesn't perform well in most cases - especially with well established malware variants - it's just that I myself have seen many instances of Antivirus 2010 lookalike rogues getting missed, the Norton Community forum is still full of examples of users getting a rootkit despite having an updated NIS/NAV, and in the most recent feature - Download Insight saying a fake AV installer having a good reputation (!) despite being downloaded from a Safe Web-flagged RED site and being used by less than 10 users, I guess solely on account of the installer having been signed.

http://community.norton.com/t5/image...v=mpbl-1&px=-1

That said, you have a point, this is a weakness shared by almost all suites, and the fact I have not given up on using NIS proves that I am, generally speaking - satisfied. But Symantec is one of the biggest players with the greatest resources, and I think they should be the best - with the least ifs, buts and misses.
Agreed.

Since they rewritten their suite completely from the ground up,
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a while.
Let them tweak and tune the thing, and get the security back at nr1 where they are supposed to be.

I wonder about those rootkit stories.
Maybe installed by people to crack their windows while ignoring all warnings, or even disabling UAC and NIS for a while??

Even some perfectly legal and harmless software has rootkits,
like some UBIsoft games.
They used the starforce protection which is in fact a rootkit.

A question.

How did you get to be a Beta tester for Symantec?

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #26
The Cool Guy

Windows 8 x64
 
 

it says competition ended?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #27
Teerex

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post

Agreed.

Since they rewritten their suite completely from the ground up,
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a while.
Let them tweak and tune the thing, and get the security back at nr1 where they are supposed to be.

I wonder about those rootkit stories.
Maybe installed by people to crack their windows while ignoring all warnings, or even disabling UAC and NIS for a while??

Even some perfectly legal and harmless software has rootkits,
like some UBIsoft games.
They used the starforce protection which is in fact a rootkit.

A question.

How did you get to be a Beta tester for Symantec?

Greetings
1) easy, like everyone else - download a beta build on their site.. Posting bugs and problems on the Community forum and working with them, providing them with crash dumps etc. takes you that extra mile, and they decide to give you a gift.

'bout that community forum - that was a good idea, working with their users there has really helped 'em iron out lots of problems faster, IMO.


2) rootkits - It's simple, once someone is deceived by those techniques of social engineering or pure guile into running something with administative permissions (on XP, it's always that way) and NIS or some other suite doesn't stop it - it's a house broken into. A fake codec scam will get you a rootkit to call your own in a split second..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #28
v0id

Windows 3.11
 
 

Competition Ended

Thank you for your interest in the Norton from Symantec and PCAdvisor competition.

Unfortunately all the Norton™ AntiVirus 2009 prizes have been won.

However you can still purchase Norton™ AntiVirus online at
Antivirus Software - Spyware Remover - UK | Norton AntiVirus

Regards
The UK Norton from Symantec Team.

P.S: I grabed 7 keys and i have one for 360 days
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #29
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Competition Ended

Thank you for your interest in the Norton from Symantec and PCAdvisor competition.

Unfortunately all the Norton™ AntiVirus 2009 prizes have been won.

However you can still purchase Norton™ AntiVirus online at
Antivirus Software - Spyware Remover - UK | Norton AntiVirus

Regards
The UK Norton from Symantec Team.

P.S: I grabed 7 keys and i have one for 360 days
I bought a 3 user license for 2009, and a nice lady at Symantec's told me I could use the key to upgrade to 2010.

Very nice, never seen that before.

I only need to buy one more license for my daughter's pc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #30
Teerex

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

The free upgrade has been on since the 2008 products. They have opted for this business model - essentially they charge for updates, and when the license expires the application is disabled - totally.

However, the upgrade is free, and that's a good call, since they are continuously working on improving the software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Norton Internet Security 2010 for 6 months free




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
9 months of Bitdefender Internet Security free!
49 hours left!! Get 9 FREE months of The Best Antivirus of 2014
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2010
Windows tells me that I have no security software installed, but I have NIS 2010 installed and running ok... How do I make Windows 7 recognise NIS?
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2010 or Avast! Internet Security 2010
Hiya!! I just started to wonder that which one of these virus softwares is actually better and more lightweight?? Now i use AIS and it works so damn good all the time and it's so damn lightweight too and very powerfull too, i've never seen better virus softwares than AIS!!! And i really love...
System Security
Avira free or Norton Internet Security???
Hi! I know this is the eternal question, but let me tell you about my dilemma : Since i run Seven, i use Avira free edition + Windows Firewall & Win7 Firewall Control + Spybot but my internet provider offers me freely Norton Internet Security 2010 with my subsciption... I used NIS2009...
System Security
Free 12 Months Bullguard Internet Security 8.7 License
Starting Thursday 5th November(00.01 PST ). Here:
System Security
McAfee Internet Security 3-User free for 6 months
McAfee Internet Security with SiteAdvisor is a proactive 10-in-1 always-updating security bundle that protects what you value with multi-user child safety, identity theft prevention, email and IM protection, and automated back-up. It gives you the confidence to surf the web, shop, bank, email,...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App