Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and WHS

18 Oct 2009   #11
zone23

Windows 7 X64
 
 

I disagree as you can see from the image it is taking just as much traffic as any other server would. Also the guys over at We Got Served Forums who I consider to be the experts seem to agree AV software doesn't hurt a thing and gives you and extra line of defense.

I guess with that said I assume you see some disadvantage to running an AV program.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Oct 2009   #12
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I disagree as you can see from the image it is taking just as much traffic as any other server would. Also the guys over at We Got Served Forums who I consider to be the experts seem to agree AV software doesn't hurt a thing and gives you and extra line of defense.

I guess with that said I assume you see some disadvantage to running an AV program.
No, I see no disadvantage of running AV on WHS - I just don't see the point of doing so for the average WHS home user. Perhaps you missed the last part of my post...

Quote:
In the case that one decided to use WHS to stream multimedia to external clients, serve webpages, etc, then anti-virus should be installed.
Are you hosting a web page on your WHS or doing anything else to expose your WHS to the 'net? If you don't, and you are getting probed, then changing the default ports will help. Or, you can use your router firewall to close the ports and you won't have to worry about getting probed anymore.

Anti-virus helps protect your systems from viruses, but it doesn't secure your system. If you allow access (or even if you don't) and you are hacked, your entire system is compromised. At that point, anti-virus software doesn't amount to much. At least that's how I see it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2009   #13
zone23

Windows 7 X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I disagree as you can see from the image it is taking just as much traffic as any other server would. Also the guys over at We Got Served Forums who I consider to be the experts seem to agree AV software doesn't hurt a thing and gives you and extra line of defense.

I guess with that said I assume you see some disadvantage to running an AV program.
No, I see no disadvantage of running AV on WHS - I just don't see the point of doing so for the average WHS home user. Perhaps you missed the last part of my post...

Quote:
In the case that one decided to use WHS to stream multimedia to external clients, serve webpages, etc, then anti-virus should be installed.
Are you hosting a web page on your WHS or doing anything else to expose your WHS to the 'net? If you don't, and you are getting probed, then changing the default ports will help. Or, you can use your router firewall to close the ports and you won't have to worry about getting probed anymore.

Anti-virus helps protect your systems from viruses, but it doesn't secure your system. If you allow access (or even if you don't) and you are hacked, your entire system is compromised. At that point, anti-virus software doesn't amount to much. At least that's how I see it.
Yes with WHS I am essentially hosting a web site (HTTP port 80). I just don't see the harm. Plus Avast has a "Network Shield" which helps protect my networked computers from infecting each other. I personally wouldn't throw a server on the web and on my network with open ports hosting a web site without a firewall and antivirus software, but that's just me. Avast uses very little processor and RAM it makes no noticeable difference on the server. Theirs no down side.

I don't know what you mean by allow access, how can I have a secure server if I "Allow Access" to it. I guess if you mean being able to log in remotely then yes. I also host a picture site as well, but these are the reasons for having the server.

You are correct AV software is not the "Total Solution" but nothing is its just a defense.


Actually I'm done I agree to disagree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2009   #14
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

Uhmm, a tad lost? can soomeone clarify what WHS is? and as for an AV, Avira, or MSE :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2009   #15
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Uber Philf View Post
Uhmm, a tad lost? can soomeone clarify what WHS is? and as for an AV, Avira, or MSE :P
Windows Home Server.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2009   #16
gizbug

Windows 7
 
 

What is WHS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2009   #17
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
What is WHS?
You're kidding, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2009   #18
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

LOL, thanks, makes a bit more sense now :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and WHS




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading from Windows ultimate 32bit to Ultimate 64bit
Can I upgrade from Windows ultimate 32bit ver 6.1 ( build 7600) to windows 7 ultimate 64bit edition and keep all of my installed programs and files ? :huh:
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Ultimate retail to Ultimate OEM
I am building a system and put windows 7 ultimate retail on it, but have not activated it yet. The computer is running perfect and i have already installed all drivers, software, etc... Can i somehow use the Ultimate OEM instead of retail without a clean install? Probably not needed to...
Installation & Setup
How would I go get Hold'em from vista Ultimate and install it to windows 7 Ultimate
Is it possible to transfer the hold'em poker game files from windows vista ultimate to windows 7 ultimate ? If so how can I do that ? Can someone make a tutorial on that ?
Gaming
VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate issues.. wit gamin
Ok, Its either gotta be that Windows have may changes in the O/S for gaming or there just could be something wrong with my computer... I DON"T GET IT. First of all, I had windows vista, CPU over clocked playing all my games with out a drama, (steam, cs, tf2, l4d, COD4) the games started without...
Gaming
Trouble upgrade from Vista Ultimate(32) - 7 Ultimate 32
I'm trying to upgrade a computer from Vista Ultimate (32 bit) to 7 Ultimate (32 bit) and I keep receiving this error message: "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's...
Installation & Setup
BSOD During upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate
I've tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to 7 Ultimate 32 bit numerous times now, all with the same result: a BSOD during the install process, which I get during (what I think is) the final step called "Transferring files, settings and programs." The installation compatibility test warns...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App