Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ESET Earns Record-Breaking 58th VB100 Award

31 Oct 2009   #21
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Did you guys know that many AV companies like Avira, vipre and G data are from Germany!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Nov 2009   #22
topcat1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Vipre has excellent detection rates but it will fail due to false positives. ...
This has also been my experience. WAY too many FP's.

I am about to switch 300 computers at work from Symantec to NOD32.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #23
TheIgster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by topcat1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Vipre has excellent detection rates but it will fail due to false positives. ...
This has also been my experience. WAY too many FP's.

I am about to switch 300 computers at work from Symantec to NOD32.
Can I ask what was reported as FP using Vipre? I have not had a single FP with it.

Also, you note that, then you say you are switching from Symantec? So are you using Vipre or Symantec?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2009   #24
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

I have tested almost all the AV's out there and finally I have come to a conclusion that I will use ESET smart security 4. Im not invoking any discussions here but just wanted to share my feelings. Your personal preference may vary but as I said, this is what I'll use from now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #25
neoasr

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit OEM 6.1 Build7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
I have tested almost all the AV's out there and finally I have come to a conclusion that I will use ESET smart security 4. Im not invoking any discussions here but just wanted to share my feelings. Your personal preference may vary but as I said, this is what I'll use from now.
be sure dear.. bcoz tomorrow u dont know wat gong to happen
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #26
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neoasr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
I have tested almost all the AV's out there and finally I have come to a conclusion that I will use ESET smart security 4. Im not invoking any discussions here but just wanted to share my feelings. Your personal preference may vary but as I said, this is what I'll use from now.
be sure dear.. bcoz tomorrow u dont know wat gong to happen
Yep I chose ESET after trying many Anti virus products. I also have Malware Bytes running alongwith it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #27
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neoasr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
I have tested almost all the AV's out there and finally I have come to a conclusion that I will use ESET smart security 4. Im not invoking any discussions here but just wanted to share my feelings. Your personal preference may vary but as I said, this is what I'll use from now.
be sure dear.. bcoz tomorrow u dont know wat gong to happen

Hi there
any chance of translating this into some sort of Understandable English for a poor Scandanavian Non native English speaker.

Thanks.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #28
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi Dinesh

How do you like Malwarebytes -- for its size and speed it is actually quite good - and you can run it in conjunction with MSE -- no probs at all --system overhead is about ZERO even with BOTH going.

Don't forget to run update the Database before scanning. Doesn't take long.

Whilst this is more Malware prevention than pure AV software I think you will find that by FAR the biggest source of infections are from Malware rather than "Classical Viruses".

Incidentally none of the older established companies such as ESET, SYMANTEC, NOD32 etc etc still have a clue how to stop DRIVE BY infections -- these are really horrible to trap unless you switch off any scripting in your browser and check source code of sites -- but without scripting a lot of sites won't work --so we go round and round.

I think BTW AVIRA is a German firm.

Please also check ESET against DRIVE BY infections -- You'll be hugely disappointed as it probably won't give you "Preventative Protection" (I.e Protection BEFORE the fact) - like most other AV software.

Malwarebytes and MSE will clean most of this stuff up (AFTER the fact -- "Reactive prevention") which is why you should run the quick scans quite frequently -- these work FAR BETTER than classical AV software since you are dealing with a totally different type of attack.

You should run a scan if you've surfed a lot of web sites - particularly if you press the BACK button on your browser and it takes you to a different page.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #29
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

I like MBAM because of its high detection capabilities and minimal mem usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #30
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by topcat1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Vipre has excellent detection rates but it will fail due to false positives. ...
This has also been my experience. WAY too many FP's.

I am about to switch 300 computers at work from Symantec to NOD32.
Really?
I just switched 6 home computer s from ESET to Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2010 and my own to 360 V4 and I will NOT be going back.

Turns out, another computer in the house had a trojan that ESET missed. I will be contacting ESET about this so they can hopefully make V5 better and not use more than 40MB of RAM when Norton 360 V4 is using 5.5MB and AntiVirus 2010 is using around 2MB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ESET Earns Record-Breaking 58th VB100 Award




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sound Starts Crackling And Breaking Up During Videos And Screen Record
When i'm playing videos the sound starts becoming very crackly and buzzy. I checked my CPU usage because my old laptop used to do this due to CPU spikes, but it's still sitting between 0-5%. The laptop is only a few months old and it's been doing this for about a fortnight now. Also when i'm...
Sound & Audio
VIPRE Antivirus on Windows 7 - VB100
Detects 100 percent of WildList viruses with no false positives Clearwater, FL — Dec 2, 2009 — Sunbelt Software, a leading provider of Windows security software, today announced that its VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware product has received the VB100 award from Virus Bulletin, the highly-respected...
System Security
MSE earns prestigous August Virus Bulletin 100 Award
Following is excerpted from Microsoft Security Essentials Earns August VB100 certification Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft's no-cost anti-malware service for consumers, achieved the VB100 award for the August 2010 Edition of Virus Bulletin. In order for a product to be awarded...
News
Quick Heal wins its 28th VB100% award
More:-
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App