Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: UAC. Have you turned your's off?

08 Nov 2009   #41
Creer

Windows 7 Home Premium x32 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noyb View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vram View Post
.. No AV, Firewall or UAC will protect them.
That's the reason for ..
Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software ..

Nothing tunes up a computer or fixes what may have corrupted it better than a fast fresh install.

Sometimes .. The Cure is easier than the Prevention.
Yup, that's why security/protection based on layers is far much better than when we trust in only one app.

Here are the layers:
1. Prevention (HIPS, sandboxes, one session virtualization software, VM)
2. Detection (AV/AM/AS, Behavior Blockers, etc)
3. Cure (image backup software and data backup plan)

Of course no one tell you that you have to use eg. second layer in realtime, you can run it as on-demand scanner as well, only when you need it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Nov 2009   #42
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vram View Post
I would never suggest relying on UAC to keep a system clean. UAC is just an added layer of security that is used along with AV and a Firewall.
Argghh.....UAC was never designed to keep a system clean. It's effective purpose is to notify you, the admin, when something is happening which is effectively increasing your priviledge level to administrator. In and of itself, it does nothing to prevent something bad from happening. But if I happen to be using my computer, and some random program informs me that it wants to become admin and I'm not running that app...then I click on No to escalation and investigate what is going on. Other applications like AV, malware checkers and the like do not perform this function.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R A View Post
I didn't need it with XP and I don't need it with Win 7 or Vista (at this time).
Yeah, but the majority of other users of Windows XP whose systems have been completely compromised (sometimes without the end-user having any idea)....probably do need this extra level of protection.

People yammer on and on about how much more secure that Linux and OSX is....and both of these systems have a security system similar to UAC. Of course, in both those cases, the user is not an admin and has to provide a password to go further. Microsoft started to implement these changes in their own systems after XP after getting so much egg on their face with all users having to be admins on the box. Whether so called "power users" want to believe it, steps like this are in the right direction to the overall security of the platform as a whole.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #43
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

I have not turned UAC off. If I happen to land on a page that was injected with a 'drive-by', I'd kinda' like to know beforehand
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2009   #44
vram

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote:
Argghh.....UAC was never designed to keep a system clean. It's effective purpose is to notify you, the admin, when something is happening which is effectively increasing your priviledge level to administrator. In and of itself, it does nothing to prevent something bad from happening. But if I happen to be using my computer, and some random program informs me that it wants to become admin and I'm not running that app...then I click on No to escalation and investigate what is going on. Other applications like AV, malware checkers and the like do not perform this function.
I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding here. I'm not saying that UAC by itself was designed to keep a system clean but is designed to keep the user informed and notify the user if a program tries to makes changes to your system, which too me places UAC in the security category. I agree with what you're saying and I apologize if my wording wasn't exactly as I intended however if I receive a UAC prompt and I click "No", am I not preventing the application from making changes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #45
esteban

7 Ultimate, Debian Squeeze, #! Statler
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
People yammer on and on about how much more secure that Linux and OSX is....and both of these systems have a security system similar to UAC. Of course, in both those cases, the user is not an admin and has to provide a password to go further. Microsoft started to implement these changes in their own systems after XP after getting so much egg on their face with all users having to be admins on the box. Whether so called "power users" want to believe it, steps like this are in the right direction to the overall security of the platform as a whole.
The difference with Linux's "UAC" is that even when you create the first account at installation, you're not root. You're an admin, but admin isn't the highest class. Windows doesn't do this. If I login/operate as root, I can do whatever the hell I want; with Windows and UAC, even as an admin, I would still get prompts. Also, I feel like Linux prompts me for the root password less frequently than Windows does/would, and picks its prompting situations a little better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #46
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
The difference with Linux's "UAC" is that even when you create the first account at installation, you're not root. You're an admin, but admin isn't the highest class. Windows doesn't do this. If I login/operate as root, I can do whatever the hell I want; with Windows and UAC, even as an admin, I would still get prompts.
All of that is configurable (UAC policy settings). It's actually far preferable to set UAC to "always allow" (and thus be invisible) than to disable the UAC. Both are bad news from a security standpoint, but the former less so.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Also, I feel like Linux prompts me for the root password less frequently than Windows does/would, and picks its prompting situations a little better.
It's because Windows has 47 billion times more apps and they're not all particularly well written w.r.t. security, which means they more frequently attempt to rummage round areas of the file system and registry which they have no business inspecting and modifying, which in turn means the user gets prompted for elevation.

The user is the biggest difference between NIX and Windows in this instance. Most NIX users tend to be relatively knowledgeable folk, by definition (the platform itself repels a55-hattery). They wouldn't dream of browsing the web and doing all those daily tasks while logged on as root, and yet that's exactly what many of the Windows "experts" do all day every day.

Microsoft's main security problem is their heterogeneous userbase. It's difficult to convince the "experts" who always use admin accounts - frequently with UAC disabled - that they're not actually being all that clever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #47
zteardrop

Win7
 
 

From a security perspective, advising someone to turn UAC off is just plain dumb. It disables IE protected mode, and that is a big loss.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #48
pakZ

Win7 x64
 
 

i shortly disabled it when my pc shipped and i first installed win7 and all those programms.

after the initial setup i'm rather getting into contact at all. i got my couple of tools i'm used to use over the years and have no real need to install/test out more.
so, it's on, now and it doesn't bug me at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #49
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

I don't like its harrasiveness, although i can tell if something isnt right, just one of those things after uve worked with computers for over 8 years.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #50
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

I've kept it, unless you want your pc to be about as secure as XP. Most users never implement proper security practices anyway, and thus rubbishware continues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 UAC. Have you turned your's off?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
HDD partition turned RAW!!!
Hi everyone, I have one internal HDD with five partitions that I am using it as external HDD using SATA to USB casing. It is from my previous laptop which is dead long ago. Till now the HDD was working fine but last night 2 of the partitions turned RAW. Its asking me to format the partitions but...
Hardware & Devices
Windows could not be turned on...
I am not sure that this should be in system security,if so,an admin/mod can move it. I am recieving a pop up with an icon which hase 2 keys stating that "Windows could not be turned on" Here is an atachement with the window that turns up when I click the icon. Thanks!
Windows Updates & Activation
MSE is Turned off?
I just updated MBAM and I'm currently running a full system scan. All of a sudden, this pops up in my Action Center: So, I open MSE and see this: What is going on?
System Security
Jumplists Turned Off?
Hey Guys, I've got an odd thing happening.. it seems the Jumplists feature has been turned off and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn them back on. When I right click an icon in the taskbar all I get for options are the following.. {Program Name} Unpin from taskbar Any...
General Discussion
Win 7 turned back into XP!????
Ok so just now my win7 machine turned back into XP. I have no idea why or how and it will not let me login. it asks me to authorize online, i try it but it can not reach the internet (which it is connected to). Anyone have an idea on what is going on? I just used my machine last night and it...
General Discussion
MSE turned off
On a couple of occasion recently after booting up there is a flag that MSE is turned off. I use MSE and Windows firewall as my protection with no other programs installed. Why would MSE be turned off if I did not do it?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App