Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption

25 Feb 2018   #1
reble

windows 7 home 32 bit, I just changed back from 64 to 32bit
 
 
A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption

My OS is Win7 Home 32bit. I am thinking of coping some private personal info to a USB flash drive as a backup and then encrypt the flash drive using BitLocker Drive Encryption. I have a question about the prog.

Right now I keep the info in a small notebook that is hidden in a safe place in my room. But like if I go to a Star Trek convention I take my ZTE K90U Android tablet with me. It is a lot easier than unplugging and packing my home laptop. And I take that notebook with me. I am very guarded with that notebook. 1. it is my only copy. 2. if it gets lost (not very likely, I am not one that loses things easily) 3. it gets stolen. I will be in for a big problem. If I take an encrypted USB flash drive. It won't be of any use to anyone else without the password.

The most important thing is. Will I be able to type in the encryption password in on my Android tablet and get into the thumb drive? or do I need a 2nd thumb drive in the Android format?

Steve


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Feb 2018   #2
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Bitlocker is a Windows application that is only available for the Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 and is not available for Home versions and certainly not for android.

You need to find some Encryption application that is available for Windows 7 Home and Android - I am not aware of any

Depending on the Data content type, (Text documents, Images, Video, Etc ), you may be able to purchase a secure USB thumb Drive that you can use, though you would need one that is compatible with both Windows and Android. The USB thumbdrive manufacturers sometimes include this type of application with higher end devices, check their sites for availability
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #3
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

You can use simple rar files they can be used on both and secure enough for most things unless your a spy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2018   #4
reble

windows 7 home 32 bit, I just changed back from 64 to 32bit
 
 
A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption

I know about RAR and PKZIP, I use them both a lot. But how do you lock the RAR file with a password? The other problem is that the ZTE tablet doesn't have OTG and I haven't figured out how to mount the USB flash drive when the drive is connected to the tablet.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
You can use simple rar files they can be used on both and secure enough for most things unless your a spy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2018   #5
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

I don't know about RAR, but 7Zip might be the easiest solution - it provides password protected AES256 encryption. With a long enough password containing alpanumeric, numeric and special characters it is practically impossible to crack.

http://www.7-zip.org/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Mar 2018   #6
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by reble View Post
I know about RAR and PKZIP, I use them both a lot. But how do you lock the RAR file with a password? The other problem is that the ZTE tablet doesn't have OTG and I haven't figured out how to mount the USB flash drive when the drive is connected to the tablet.
You could try this for your tablet access, It was originally released back when the OTG access needed Root access to android - this does not but check the software and hardware requirements


USB Media Explorer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2018   #7
reble

windows 7 home 32 bit, I just changed back from 64 to 32bit
 
 
A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption

I looked at "media Explorer". It is a payed APP, only $3.99 on that. The price is not a problem. But it does ask for a " An USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. Costs range from $1-10 USD, see screenshots for examples".

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
You could try this for your tablet access, It was originally released back when the OTG access needed Root access to android - this does not but check the software and hardware requirements


USB Media Explorer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2018   #8
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

There may be others that are free now that most phones and tablets come with OTG access built in. But this app was one of the first to be able to provide the facility for devices without built in support, such as your tablet,without rooting the device. There is a limited version that is available for free and I would always advise you try this before you consider buying the full version
The OTG Cable required is a micro USB male to regular USB female just to allow connection of the USB stick to the tablet. My last several phones and tablets have included one of these cables and they are often included with phone and tablet accessories,but they are easily obtainable both on and off line. You may well already have one. The price range quoted is due to the fact that various types are available, I have several different types, one of which can connect to multiple USB Sticks, and also various SD card types and sizes, this cost around $10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2018   #9
reble

windows 7 home 32 bit, I just changed back from 64 to 32bit
 
 
A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption

This ZTE K90U tablet I got from US Cellular (US Cellular stinks. They told me my 1st month was free then the 2nd month roles around and they tried to bill me for 2 months). Anyways there is no info, fermware or anything else available for rooting it. I ran an app that test's for OTG access. There is no OTG in the tablet. This tablet has a micro USB 3.1 type c jack. I have ordered a "USB 3.1 Type C Male to Micro USB Female Adapter" from eBay.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
There may be others that are free now that most phones and tablets come with OTG access built in. But this app was one of the first to be able to provide the facility for devices without built in support, such as your tablet,without rooting the device. There is a limited version that is available for free and I would always advise you try this before you consider buying the full version
The OTG Cable required is a micro USB male to regular USB female just to allow connection of the USB stick to the tablet. My last several phones and tablets have included one of these cables and they are often included with phone and tablet accessories,but they are easily obtainable both on and off line. You may well already have one. The price range quoted is due to the fact that various types are available, I have several different types, one of which can connect to multiple USB Sticks, and also various SD card types and sizes, this cost around $10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2018   #10
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

If you look on the play store and search for the USB Media Explorer you should see a lot of Alternatives, I quoted that App as I know it worked for me on similar devices without OTG support, you could, once you have the cable trial a few, apps to find one that meets you needs, (even a free one),

I would definitely recommend following the developer's advice and trying the free version before laying out the money for the full app
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A question about BitLocker Drive Encryption




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BitLocker Drive Encryption - BitLocker To Go - Turn On or Off
How to Turn Windows 7 BitLocker To Go On or Off for Removable Drives BitLocker To Go is used to encrypt and password protect any removable external hard drives and USB flash drives. The drives must be formatted using either the exFAT, FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS file system and must be at least...
Tutorials
Help me !! bitlocker drive encryption
can somebody help i use the bitlocker drive encryption and i freeze it in 80% encryption and now i can't access my USB flash drive i try to format it and it's always say "windows was unable to complete the format" my USB flash drive is protect by bitlocker drive encryption when i unlock my USB...
System Security
Bitlocker Drive Encryption using USB
Hi, I have been having some issues when trying to turn Bitlocker on in C: I have followed the instructions as per this forum to enable a Startup key in gpedit.msc as I dont have TPM which worked. After following the instructions, Windows Bitlocker asked me to insert a USB to save the...
System Security
BitLocker Drive Encryption - Change Encryption Method and Cipher Strength
How to Change Windows 7 BitLocker Drive Encryption Method and Cipher Strength This will show you how to change the encryption algorithm and key cipher strength used by BitLocker to encrypt drives in Windows 7.BitLocker Drive Encryption supports 128-bit and 256-bit encryption keys. Longer...
Tutorials
BitLocker Drive Encryption
While using BitLocker Drive Encryption feature, i selected the settings for using the USB to store the security key. But, once I restarted my PC, BitLocker didn't recognized the USB and went into recovery mode. Can anyone suggest as to why the USB key was not taken into consideration?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App