Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Zone Alarm Installation in Windows 7

22 Aug 2010   #11
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epsonsalts View Post
I have the paid for versions of each.
After years of zone alarm, I agree with the chap who gave 18 reasons why he likes ZA. So do (did) I, but it doesnt seem to work on my 64 bit machine

epsonsalts


You would/might get more response if you started your own thread. I was a long time ZAP user until it became bloated. As someone who analyzes BSOD's I have seen that ZA can cause them.

There are alternatives. win firewall and MSE seem to be the current favorites

Ken


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2010   #12
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

also note that this thread is "old" now, which means that the info on BSODīs etc. is not "up to date".
there is a never version of Zonalarm available now....

FYI, i ran som tests on ZA-Pro a few days ago, it does NOT block OUTGOING connections as a good firewall should,
it only got 270/340 with Comodoīs Leak-Test (CLT).

you donīt want ZA....

get a REALLY good firewall instead, i recommend Online Armor, it got 340/340 with CLT.
there is both a paid & a FREE version: Online Armor Premium Firewall

update: just saw a typo, corrected testresult above: 270/340 for ZA.
i also tested another firewall (from a well-known BIG name) yesterday, that firewall got 170/340.
going to post my testresults for both FWīs tomorrow, (in another thread)....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #13
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epsonsalts View Post
I have the paid for versions of each.
After years of zone alarm, I agree with the chap who gave 18 reasons why he likes ZA. So do (did) I, but it doesnt seem to work on my 64 bit machine

epsonsalts


You would/might get more response if you started your own thread. I was a long time ZAP user until it became bloated. As someone who analyzes BSOD's I have seen that ZA can cause them.

There are alternatives. win firewall and MSE seem to be the current favorites

Ken
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
also note that this thread is "old" now, which means that the info on BSODīs etc. is not "up to date".
there is a never version of Zonalarm available now....

FYI, i ran som tests on ZA-Pro a few days ago, it does NOT block OUTGOING connections as a good firewall should,
it only got 170/340 with Comodoīs Leak-Test (CLT).

you donīt want ZA....

get a REALLY good firewall instead, i recommend Online Armor,
it got 340/340 with CLT.
there is a both a paid & a FREE version:Online Armor Premium Firewall
+1 to both of the above replies. And you don't want McAfee either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2010   #14
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

update: just saw a typo, corrected testresult above: 270/340 for ZA.
i also tested another firewall (from a wellknown BIG name) yesterday, that firewall got 170/340.
iīm going to post my testresults for both FWīs tomorrow, (in another thread)....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #15
epsonsalts

win 7 ultimate
 
 

Thanks to everyone who replied.
There are so many firewalls and antivirus suites, and some say a and b are rubbish and c and d are great.
Others rubbish a,b,c and fall over laughing at d.
With so many "experts" it's impossible to know who's right and who's wrong. AND why.
Everyone seems to say that McAfee slows everything down and uses too many resouces, so I'll try the windowssecurity essentials, But what confidence can you have in a company that needs to fix its security every 4th tuesday, the critical ones, and lots of other jokes like windows vista and windows ME.
It's going to be a leap of faith.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #16
DarkEnergy

7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Zonealarm has always had a reputation for being rubbish tbh lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #17
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epsonsalts View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied.
There are so many firewalls and antivirus suites, and some say a and b are rubbish and c and d are great.
Others rubbish a,b,c and fall over laughing at d.
With so many "experts" it's impossible to know who's right and who's wrong. AND why.
Everyone seems to say that McAfee slows everything down and uses too many resouces, so I'll try the windowssecurity essentials, But what confidence can you have in a company that needs to fix its security every 4th tuesday, the critical ones, and lots of other jokes like windows vista and windows ME.
It's going to be a leap of faith.
You raised an interesting question that deserves consideration.

Various versions of Windows are by far the most widespread OS's on the planet. The OS has to be able to run a huge variety of hardware and software on a multitude of different computer setups. That is a tall order for those writing the software code.

Add to that the fact that hackers are getting better and using more sophisticated hacking tools. Are hackers who are in it for financial gain going to worry about trying to hack Apple? They are not going to waste their time. Their efforts are toward Microsoft OS's because of the shear numbers.

I think it is highly commendable the MS stays on top of security problems. Even other OS's have to have security updates and they are not nearly as widespread in use as MS OS's. Remember, antivirus programs are updated by their companies almost daily and, except for MSE, they are not MS products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #18
epsonsalts

win 7 ultimate
 
 

Thanks, Carl S, I recognise the truth in your comment.
I've had lots of advice.
It ranges from keeping McAfee and forgetting Zone Alarm pro. Or
Keep ZAP and ditch McAfee.
Or
Ditch both, use windows firewall and windows Security essentials.
You reccommended "Online armour Premium" , as a firewall, but no recc for antivirus. ? windows ? other.
You are a gold member and a seven Guru (sounds like Karate or Judo - man versus machine.)
(was it painful?)
At least you and Hackerman seem to know what its all about.
Thanks to you both
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #19
epsonsalts

win 7 ultimate
 
 

PS just looked up your flag.
My son is in Afghanistan with the royal marines. Two of his mates killed and 3 without legs.
It's a worrying time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2010   #20
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epsonsalts View Post
Thanks, Carl S, I recognise the truth in your comment.
I've had lots of advice.
It ranges from keeping McAfee and forgetting Zone Alarm pro. Or
Keep ZAP and ditch McAfee.
Or
Ditch both, use windows firewall and windows Security essentials.
You reccommended "Online armour Premium" , as a firewall, but no recc for antivirus. ? windows ? other.
You are a gold member and a seven Guru (sounds like Karate or Judo - man versus machine.)
(was it painful?)
At least you and Hackerman seem to know what its all about.
Thanks to you both
It was very painful! I learned by the school of hard knocks. If a mistake can be made, I have made it!

I recommend either MSE or Avast for an antivirus. Avast works well with Win 7. I recommend Malwarebytes as an on demand scanner. I update and run Malwarebytes once a week. I have used both Online Armor and Comodo successfully on my Win 7 system - not at the same time, obviously. I have also used Windows Firewall.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by epsonsalts View Post
PS just looked up your flag.
My son is in Afghanistan with the royal marines. Two of his mates killed and 3 without legs.
It's a worrying time.
Please tell your son that I thank him for his service to his nation. I know you are worried about him. My oldest son just retired from the Army after 20 years and three combat tours and my stepson got back from Iraq in April. So I understand the concern. I lost my youngest son during a Bosnia rotation, thus the flag.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Zone Alarm Installation in Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Anyone tried Zone Alarm with Windows 7?
Anyone tried Zone Alarm with Windows 7? Versions 9.0.083.000 won't install on Windows 7 and there is an implication on the CheckPoint site that the version for Windows 7 will be called Zone Alarm 2010. Is this available yet?
System Security
Zone Alarm BSOD
Hello, Thought I would give the latest version of Zone Alarm a try with 7. Got the BSOD. This was version 9.2. Suppose to be compatible with 7. Any one else had this problem? I'm back with Online Armor with no problems. IE wouldn't load and froze. FF and GC worked fine. Glad to hear any...
System Security
MSE and Zone Alarm
I installed MSE the other day and right away had system hangs after boot. Went through the boot list and disabled things to troubleshoot. Disabled Zone Alarm True Vector and no problems. Once back online I searched for MSE problems and Zone Alarm was high on the listings. Seems MSE doesn't like ZA...
System Security
zone alarm firewall
I have been testing the free zone alarm firewall on windows 7 x64 for awhile (at least a month) and haven't run into any major problems. installation was straightforward. I have noticed some nag prompts and an oddity with rediscovery of my local subnet. The log viewer is broken up into two...
Software
Zone Alarm in registry interfering with installation
Trying to install Win 7, and all is well until it checks compatability, and it says I have to remove Zone Alarm. I don't remember ever installing Zone Alarm on this computer. I couldn't find any signs of it anywhere on the hard drive. I searched all over the web for different file names I...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 and Zone Alarm Pro - Watch it!
Right now, it appears even the latest version of Zone Alarm Pro (9.8.001) does not play well with the Microsoft Security Essentials. If I have Zone Alarm with Security Essentials set to do Real Time protection enabled, anytime something tries to access the internet, my computer locks up. It...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App