Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Security BOOBOO

24 Nov 2009   #1
Haring Dagta

windows 7
 
 
Security BOOBOO

Hi. I need help badly. I was playing around with the security as an admin. On the part were you allow access, i accidentally selected wherein the user has control of everything. in the middle of the change i clicked on cancel and just cancelled all the things i have done. i am the admin on the laptop and now i cant even access my drive c wherein it says restricted. i would try to take ownership but it does not allow me. the window i also have open for ie 8 would go out for some sites and i am not able to open them, it would continoiusly try to reconnect to the same site with no avail. i need help please. very badly. i would like to know what steps i can do to reverse the major booboo i did....HELP PLEASE


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Nov 2009   #2
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hey.

You can use system restore to a point from before you did this.

If you don't have any restore points, then you can follow this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #3
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Try doing a system restore to a point before you messed it up...

Another example of why not to use an administrator account for every day use..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2009   #4
Haring Dagta

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Try doing a system restore to a point before you messed it up...

Another example of why not to use an administrator account for every day use..

i have tried system restore but getting---context : restricted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #5
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

If running system restore as an admin account doesn't work, then performing a repair install from the link I posted is the best way to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #6
Haring Dagta

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Hey.

You can use system restore to a point from before you did this.

If you don't have any restore points, then you can follow this.

it wont allow me access to my dvd drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #7
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Format the drive and do a clean install...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #8
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Do a clean install but formatting is not necessary. If you don't format, it will put everything existing on the drive in to a Windows.old folder at root.

If you have nothing you want to keep on the drive, then formatting would be best.

Once to new desktop, you can copy/paste whatever you want out of there. Then use disk cleanup to remove Windows.old.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #9
Haring Dagta

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
If running system restore as an admin account doesn't work, then performing a repair install from the link I posted is the best way to go.

exact error i am getting---windows cannot access specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #10
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Haring Dagta View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
If running system restore as an admin account doesn't work, then performing a repair install from the link I posted is the best way to go.

exact error i am getting---windows cannot access specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item
See if you can create a new user account with administrator privileges. If you can, then you can run a repair install by using that. If not, follow my last post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Security BOOBOO




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Outlook 2010 - Internet Security Warning - Security Certificate cannot
Outlook 2010 Security warning upon opening Outlook: Initial problem: Work email from home computer stopped sending (had been working fine), though I have no problem receiving email. (Note: Home email account continues to work fine.) Email host Support (Comcast) worked me through finding the right...
Microsoft Office
Win7 Security: Download the Security Compliance Manager
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App