Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MS Security Essentials Vs. AVG 9.0

04 Jan 2010   #61
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Though it is lacking in preference settings it does a very good job as is. I Personally I don't do a lot of adjustments with my Ainti-Virus' anyway so this is perfect for me.

And the the biggest plus, to me, is the lightness of the program. It simply doesn't slow Windows down. That includes startup or shutdown. A big plus.

Former Norton & Kaspersky user.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jan 2010   #62
marseverywhere

Triple boot XP 64bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.04 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manigue View Post
Is anyone using both AVG 9.0 paid version and MS Security Essentials?

Has anyone dropped AVG paid version for MS Security Essentials?

Is MS Security Essential worth a try?

Is it better than AVG?

Thanks.
I have used the paid version of AVG for years, recently 9.0, and have loved it, especially the feature where is searches websites before you load them. My two year subscription was ending so I switched to MSSE and so far so good. I figured that it was worth a try as with all that MS has gone through in the last few years I think they would not put a product out that did not pass high marks, so I was willing to take a chance. My personal opinion is that this Vista nightmare of MS's humbled them in a very good way. That being said, if money was not an issue I would stick with the paid AVG in my case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #63
Nikolay

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows XP Pro x86 | Windows Vista Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marseverywhere View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manigue View Post
Is anyone using both AVG 9.0 paid version and MS Security Essentials?

Has anyone dropped AVG paid version for MS Security Essentials?

Is MS Security Essential worth a try?

Is it better than AVG?

Thanks.
I have used the paid version of AVG for years, recently 9.0, and have loved it, especially the feature where is searches websites before you load them. My two year subscription was ending so I switched to MSSE and so far so good. I figured that it was worth a try as with all that MS has gone through in the last few years I think they would not put a product out that did not pass high marks, so I was willing to take a chance. My personal opinion is that this Vista nightmare of MS's humbled them in a very good way. That being said, if money was not an issue I would stick with the paid AVG in my case.
There's a firefox add on called Web of Trust which is similar to AVG's link checker, you might wanna check it out if you haven't already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2010   #64
katai

Window 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

i till using AVG 9.0 free edition, but i not sure how is different from paid version , because its seem the same
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #65
7mm

Windows 7 Pro. 64 Bit + Back|Track 5 (Both Updated)
 
 

Take look at the Anti Virus test results @ AV Comparatives for better decision making. Good Luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #66
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by katai View Post
i till using AVG 9.0 free edition, but i not sure how is different from paid version , because its seem the same
This will help you:
AVG Free - Upgrade Free Antivirus
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #67
mkhuda

Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600
 
 

I use AVG...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #68
Mitch656

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

I dont know which to use..

I have tryed Both, dunno Which to choose

WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE GUYS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #69
ryan7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

For most of my "computing life" I've used either AVG or AntiVir. For the past 6-7 years mind you, I've stuck with AntiVir.

I like AVG because I found it extremely lite on the system. I disliked it because I found the detection rate quite poor.

I just tried MSE last night and do love it. It is so far the only AV program that is making me seriously consider dumping AntiVir.
I do find with MSE it uses more RAM. I noticed last night that on average it was using between 60-70MB's. Currently AntiVir is using around 20MB's, though can reach 50.

Having said that, I didn't noticed any slow down in my system at all.

So if I had to choose between AVG & MSE, I'd go MSE hands down.
MSE vs AntiVir...Although I'm sticking with AntiVir, I'd still seriously consider MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #70
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mitch656 View Post
I dont know which to use..

I have tryed Both, dunno Which to choose

WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE GUYS?
MSE.

Err, I mean, you should choose whichever you like the most. I've been using the beta versions of MSE since it came out, then used the final version when that was out, now using the ongoing beta version.

Never had any problems, always detected things for me. Never slowed me down either, can't say the same for AVG (last time I used it, was when it was 8.5 though).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MS Security Essentials Vs. AVG 9.0




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
AVG 9 Internet Security v Microsoft Security Essentials
Which is better? I have AVG 9 til 2018, full version, but I'm considering MSE. Which is better? Which do you use?
System Security
MS Security Essentials
I have used Zone Alarm Security Suite for about ten years and have always been please with it. Their annual fee is $39 to keep the updates current. I am thinking of switching to MS Security Essentials. The reviews I have read seem to be good, but I would like to hear from some real people. Tell...
System Security
Is Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall enough Security?
Is the above enough security or should I be going for an anti-virus program as well?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App