OK I did it NOW! 100% MS Security Essentials Test

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 12,013
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
       #21

    I realize I may be able to get more frequent updates by manual checking.

    That was not the point of my question.

    I have deliberately avoided manual updating for precisely that reason. I want to see what the default "automatic" behavior is.

    Is anyone getting multiple updates per 24 hours without manual checks?

    Auto updates are what matters to me. If I can get new definitions every 10 minutes by manual updates--so what--I would never do that.

    I believe MS is using some type of cloud technology to protect against unidentified viruses that are not part of their most recent update package. They claim that is why high frequency updating--every 4 hours or whatever--is not needed.

    If that technology works well, the frequency of the updates may not be particularly important and I am fine with that.

    But are some people being updated more frequently than others on the automatic setting?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 846
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #22

    MS Security Essentials Update Jan 6, 2010


    Well since I have installed MS Security Essentials and thats all for protecting my computer I decided to see another time if it can stop those nasty trojans that you can get from many websites.
    Now I don't go to these websites to look at the pictures or read the docs but you will be surprised how many sites are up and want to $%&! your computer.
    Take a lok at my SE window from just in a few minutes of trying to find some nasty sites.
    I'm still 100% confident in MS Security Essentials.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 48
    windows 7
       #23

    Can someone do a full scan on a partition with MSE please. I'm using windows 7 64bit, with 4gb of ram.

    Reason i'm asking is i scanned my e: drive recently which has about 134gb of various files on it. This took over 2 hours to do, after it finished MSE was running at 100% cpu usage. The hard drive light was also going batty. It stayed at 100% so i had to force it shut down.

    Other than this problem i like it though.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 846
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #24

    colinw said:
    Can someone do a full scan on a partition with MSE please. I'm using windows 7 64bit, with 4gb of ram.

    Reason i'm asking is i scanned my e: drive recently which has about 134gb of various files on it. This took over 2 hours to do, after it finished MSE was running at 100% cpu usage. The hard drive light was also going batty. It stayed at 100% so i had to force it shut down.

    Other than this problem i like it though.

    Sure you can. Open MSE and select Custom Scan and select what HD and or Partition.
    I can scan my HD with 150 Gb of data in less than 10 minutes using MSE.
    It would help us answer your question if you prove us with your computer specs in your profile.

    Have you checked the hard drive for Defragmentation?
    Sounds like it may need that.
    The only other thing would be if anything else was running in the background.
    Last edited by IggyAZ; 07 Jan 2010 at 16:12.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 967
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
       #25

    Been Running MSE for about 3 weeks seems to be doing it's job. Kaspersky was
    starting to get real funky with my W7 install.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 8,476
    Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
       #26

    IggyAZ said:
    Well since I have installed MS Security Essentials and thats all for protecting my computer I decided to see another time if it can stop those nasty trojans that you can get from many websites.
    Now I don't go to these websites to look at the pictures or read the docs but you will be surprised how many sites are up and want to $%&! your computer.
    Take a lok at my SE window from just in a few minutes of trying to find some nasty sites.
    I'm still 100% confident in MS Security Essentials.
    Some more success story:

    OK I did it NOW! 100% MS Security Essentials Test-capture.png
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 846
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #27

    With all the success we see with MSE I see very little advertisements about it.
    I didn't learn about until I arrived here just over a month ago.
    The bottom line is that I think it is less of a memory hog than the others.

    Have a great day!
      My Computer


  8. jav
    Posts : 713
    Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
       #28

    IggyAZ said:
    With all the success we see with MSE I see very little advertisements about it.
    I didn't learn about until I arrived here just over a month ago.
    The bottom line is that I think it is less of a memory hog than the others.

    Have a great day!
    You will soon see, Microsoft will decide that all new Operating Systems should come with MSE pre installed like IE now.

      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,114
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #29

    jav said:
    IggyAZ said:
    With all the success we see with MSE I see very little advertisements about it.
    I didn't learn about until I arrived here just over a month ago.
    The bottom line is that I think it is less of a memory hog than the others.

    Have a great day!
    You will soon see, Microsoft will decide that all new Operating Systems should come with MSE pre installed like IE now.

    I see nothing wrong with that, it's free and one more protection for your comp. I'm running the latest MSE beta program ver 1901 as of the latest update and i think it's the best free program out there.

    Smitty
      My Computer


  10. jav
    Posts : 713
    Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
       #30

    1Bowtie said:
    jav said:
    IggyAZ said:
    With all the success we see with MSE I see very little advertisements about it.
    I didn't learn about until I arrived here just over a month ago.
    The bottom line is that I think it is less of a memory hog than the others.

    Have a great day!
    You will soon see, Microsoft will decide that all new Operating Systems should come with MSE pre installed like IE now.

    I see nothing wrong with that, it's free and one more protection for your comp. I'm running the latest MSE beta program ver 1901 as of the latest update and i think it's the best free program out there.

    Smitty
    I agree MSE is good product.

    But I just don't want Microsoft to decide it for me, it is monopoly from Microsoft's side.
    So I don't want it to be pre-installed on my system.

    What's wrong with MSE? For example SpyNet.
    When you install MSE you are forced to basic SpyNet membership.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/eula.aspx#mainNav said:
    Microsoft SpyNet Participation. When you install the software, Microsoft SpyNet allows users to become part of a network community of users that report spyware and other forms of Potentially Unwanted Software to Microsoft. Upon initial installation, users will be opted-in by default to participate in Microsoft SpyNet under a “basic” membership, which allows the software to report potential threats identified in the software that have not yet been analyzed for risks. The reports include information about the files or programs in question. For more information about Microsoft SpyNet and the information collected for reports, see the privacy statement at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=148744.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/privacy.aspx said:
    This software contains Internet-enabled features that collect certain standard information from your computer ("standard computer information") and send it to Microsoft. Standard computer information includes certain information about your computer software and hardware, such as your IP address, operating system, Web browser software, and version. The privacy details for each Microsoft Security Essentials feature listed in this privacy statement disclose what additional information is collected and how it is used.
    Almost every other AV vendors who use similar methods allow you to block it and don't send your details and control your privacy.
    If Microsoft comes Pre installed with MSE that means, one had to agree those Privacy statements aswell.

    And for other reasons I wouldn't like MSE come pre insatlled with Windows.
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38.
Find Us