Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which AV program? Help me decide.

13 Dec 2009   #11
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mclaren View Post
If I were you, I'd get something that doesn't slow down the computer. I have MSE on my Vista Laptop, and while MSE is protecting my laptop, it doesn't slow it down.
Pros:
* Doesn't slow computer down
* Saved my laptop from 5 trojans so far
* Easy to use
* Free & fast!
Cons:
* No special configurations for experts

If you're still not convinced with MSE, then stay with Avira. I think it is good enough
I did install MSE, and it detected things that AVG didn't. At least I have something I can rely on.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Dec 2009   #12
neoasr

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit OEM 6.1 Build7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mclaren View Post
If I were you, I'd get something that doesn't slow down the computer. I have MSE on my Vista Laptop, and while MSE is protecting my laptop, it doesn't slow it down.
Pros:
* Doesn't slow computer down
* Saved my laptop from 5 trojans so far
* Easy to use
* Free & fast!
Cons:
* No special configurations for experts

If you're still not convinced with MSE, then stay with Avira. I think it is good enough
I did install MSE, and it detected things that AVG didn't. At least I have something I can rely on.

buddy i suggest , use any free antivirus with malwarebyte..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #13
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neoasr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mclaren View Post
If I were you, I'd get something that doesn't slow down the computer. I have MSE on my Vista Laptop, and while MSE is protecting my laptop, it doesn't slow it down.
Pros:
* Doesn't slow computer down
* Saved my laptop from 5 trojans so far
* Easy to use
* Free & fast!
Cons:
* No special configurations for experts

If you're still not convinced with MSE, then stay with Avira. I think it is good enough
I did install MSE, and it detected things that AVG didn't. At least I have something I can rely on.

buddy i suggest , use any free antivirus with malwarebyte..
Doesn't MSE already take down Malware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2009   #14
andyparks

windows 7 home prem 64 bit
 
 

can you run malware bites with kaspersky
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #15
costello

win7
 
 

i use sophos endpoint security&control antivirus few people know about it...
has the best scanner ever when i scan my PC it take max 2 mb memory
as you can see

URL=http://img215.imageshack.us/i/vbrap1209.jpg/][/URL]

for update you need to make an acc for a free trial...but the antivirus is full
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #16
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andyparks View Post
can you run malware bites with kaspersky
Yes, you can.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Doesn't MSE already take down Malware?
No AV can take down all Malware, so custom scan from Malwarebytes will not harm you..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #17
Tommyd

Windows 7 Home Premium x64(desktop), Windows 7 Professional x86(laptop)
 
 

You may will have things missing from AVG 9.0 if you have the free version.
The free version has:
*Anti Virus
*Anti Spyware
*Linkscanner
*Email Scanner
*Resident Shield

The paid version has:
*Anti Virus
*Anti Spyware
*Anti Spam
*Firewall
*Linkscanner
*Anti Rootkit
*Email Scanner
*Web Shield
*Resident Shield
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #18
XboxOmac

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tommyd View Post
You may will have things missing from AVG 9.0 if you have the free version.
The free version has:
*Anti Virus
*Anti Spyware
*Linkscanner
*Email Scanner
*Resident Shield

The paid version has:
*Anti Virus
*Anti Spyware
*Anti Spam
*Firewall
*Linkscanner
*Anti Rootkit
*Email Scanner
*Web Shield
*Resident Shield
Well I switched to MSE, and what I focus most on is Resident Shield, and it seems MSE has it.

I'll install Malwarebytes soon.

Is that all I would need?

Microsoft Security Essentials
Malware Bytes
Windows Firewall?

Is there something I should get? I like best security.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #19
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post
Well I switched to MSE, and what I focus most on is Resident Shield, and it seems MSE has it.

I'll install Malwarebytes soon.

Is that all I would need?

Microsoft Security Essentials
Malware Bytes
Windows Firewall?

Is there something I should get? I like best security.
Actually everything depends on your preference and on what you mean by best security?

If you mean Lockdown and almost 100% security as bulletproof, which will cover you on all sides but you will end up like living in the bunker, locked down..

Or

Nice security which will just cover you from most obvious and common threats without intervening with you and doing his job by himself but at the same time weak against targeted heavy attacks..

And also it depends on your usage of computer. Will your computer be targeted by heavy attacks or not?
what you want protect yourself from:
torrents and p2p
browsing (you browse only your favourites or go into random sites including sites which are obvious to have some nasty viruses)
Or you are gonna test some viruses yourself
Download all stuff from internet or first like you cursor...
etc etc..

So everything depends on what you need?

As I guess you are probably just casual user and you use PC only for surfing more safe side of the internet (some forums, mail etc)
Some gaming and music..

You will probably be safe with your setup. Just keep up to date your AV and Malwarebytes (It updates very frequently). Follow simple security measures.

And If you want to be more sure, you can do well-known online scans now and then (depending how often you want, maybe afew weeks, maybe a few months)

And what browser do you use? Do you have router firewall?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #20
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

MSE is great, however it will not protect against zero day viruses for which no signatures have been written. Its the best compatible free option. Otherwise, Kaspersky or Norton. As for Malwarebytes use it if you are infected, otherwise you have to manually update it daily. PSI is also another secure option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which AV program? Help me decide.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Please help me decide
Hi All, I am about to build a system for my son for his birthday and need help deciding between 2 graphic cards. My brother has a GTX 580 Asus which I can buy for $150 or I was thinking of purchasing a new Asus GTX 660 for $245. Can someone please help me decide which is best? My son is not...
Graphic Cards
Help me decide between 3 set ups
I am looking for a set up that will allow me to play all the latest games on my pc,I have taken it down to 3 set ups could u have a look and tell me which one is best and any adjustments i would need to make for it to work. Set up 1 Motherboard + Processor Graphics RAM
Hardware & Devices
want to decide location of program to be installed, how?
Windows 7 64bit hp. Info: Some exe files ask during installation, in which folder the program should be installed, some don't. Q: If not asked during installation, how can I decide in which folder the program must be installed anyway? Thank you.
Software
Can't decide on burning program
Hey well as the title says i just can't decide which program to use. Needs to be lightweight and free but will consider using a paid software also. ImgBurn CDBurnerXP Burnaware free beta 9 InfraRecorder Is there anything better ?
Software
Help me decide (please)
Hello all. I want to upgrade my computer to windows 7, but i want to be sure, it can run the programs i want it to run. I have seen threads about games that doesn't work for people with windows 7 but they did work with vista/xp. So i wanna ask one that have windows 7. does these games run ´good...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App