Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Avast gives you rock solid protection !

21 Dec 2009   #11
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gamepro127 View Post
I MUST try Avast 5!
One question: I read something about a "Safe Run" - Or something similar to sandboxie was included in Avast 5. Is this true, is it included in the free version? Or just the premium/Professional version? And, does it work on 64-bit? Thanks!
Yes that's available in Avast 5 Internet Security beta. And its the only Sandbox available that supports 64bit.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
On Topic:
Dinesh, nice one.

Was it intended test or did it save your ass on real life scenario? (which would be really cool in a way)
My friend gave his USB flash drive so that I could copy some vids and songs. But I knew it could contain virus. I never trust flash drives. Hence I did a right click context menu scan of the flash drive and found these many infected files. So that was indeed a real time scenario.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MyWin7 View Post
I've happily used Avast for a long time before I switched to MS SE - I felt Avast has developed a bit into a mild resource hog dragging on system performance.
Avast 5 is the lightest anti virus available in the market. Its always under 10MB. Cant beat that..
Avast gives you rock solid protection !-capture.png

Whereas MSE, is always above 50 MB.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Dec 2009   #12
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Thank you! Glad to hear avast has sandboxie supporting windows 7 64-bit (Kaspersky IS 2010 also does, but its not 100% compatible)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #13
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Ok I just got it installed and tested the sandbox mode...Fail.

http://i47.tinypic.com/xmqrmu.jpg

Turns out, I had 3 rootkits and 2 trojan downloaders. Avast! Just let everything past. I thought the sandbox mode would make sure the virus dident do anything. Well, even though I right clicked the INFECTED file avast dident detect and selected "Run virtualized" it was still able to infect my system.

Avast! reported that it was up-to-date.

Heres a virus scan of the infected file:

Virustotal. MD5: 018ff9f4309af4704a61d10feaf51abb Trojan Horse Trojan.Fakealert.AP Trojan:W32/Agent.MSJ

Well, avast! had a nice try but I will no longer be using it due to letting this threat (and some other threats) through. Im still having trouble with rootkits this very moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2009   #14
tuckeratlarge

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

My subs to Kaspersky ran out a few days ago and I decided I'd give Avast 5 Beta 3 a go before installing MSE. So far I have no reason to install MSE and at last Avast have gotten rid of the awful interface and produced something that is reasonable to look at. Then again it's not what it looks like but what it does that's important and so far no complaints.

It's the same with any AV product though. How do you know you have a virus that the program doesn't detect unless said virus does something obvious to your system. I look at task manager quite often and know what should be running and can spot a usurper quite quickly, but by the time I look the damage may be done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #15
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tuckeratlarge View Post
My subs to Kaspersky ran out a few days ago and I decided I'd give Avast 5 Beta 3 a go before installing MSE. So far I have no reason to install MSE and at last Avast have gotten rid of the awful interface and produced something that is reasonable to look at. Then again it's not what it looks like but what it does that's important and so far no complaints.

It's the same with any AV product though. How do you know you have a virus that the program doesn't detect unless said virus does something obvious to your system. I look at task manager quite often and know what should be running and can spot a usurper quite quickly, but by the time I look the damage may be done.
Malwarebyts has found many rootkits, trojan downloaders and even a rogue threat on my system. Im dealing with "antispyware 2009" right now and avast is just sitting their not doing anything. About to reboot and install MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #16
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gamepro127 View Post

Malwarebyts has found many rootkits, trojan downloaders and even a rogue threat on my system. Im dealing with "antispyware 2009" right now and avast is just sitting their not doing anything. About to reboot and install MSE.
Try Downloading AntiVir and insatall it.
As you can see from virustotal results Microsoft will not detect it aswell..

Interesting things is that many well known AVs are missing it according to the link you gave (A-sqaured, Avast, BitDefender, Comodo, DrWeb, GData, MSE, NOD32, PrevX, Rising, TrendMicro and so on)

And also look at this:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.a...61d10feaf51abb
It is a test of that file in ThreatExpert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #17
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gamepro127 View Post

Malwarebyts has found many rootkits, trojan downloaders and even a rogue threat on my system. Im dealing with "antispyware 2009" right now and avast is just sitting their not doing anything. About to reboot and install MSE.
Try Downloading AntiVir and insatall it.
As you can see from virustotal results Microsoft will not detect it aswell..
Norton does which is why I decided to install that instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #18
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Sad to hear that avast could not detect these malware on your computer. Let us know about your results with MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #19
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gamepro127 View Post

Norton does which is why I decided to install that instead.
Also nice one.
Are you instaling NIS 2010?
If yes, after installing there in application Ratings put "Full Scan". so it will scan all files regardless if it is trusted by Norton or not.

P.S. Dinesh, sorry for hijacking your thread


Attached Thumbnails
Avast gives you rock solid protection !-capture.jpg   Avast gives you rock solid protection !-capture1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #20
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Sad to hear that avast could not detect these malware on your computer. Let us know about your results with MSE.
Norton killed AntiSpyware 2009 and a rootkit. After reboot, system is back to normal.
Oh well. Hopefully when Avast 5 is released the scanning engine is updated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Avast gives you rock solid protection !




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Using AS-ROCK OC Tuner for this OC?
Hi guys, I've just put together my first build, and she's running like a champ! (see system specs) I've an AS-ROCK G31M-S R2.0 Motherboard, and an Intel Pentium E5500 CPU. The stock speed is 2.8GHz and I wish to OC it to 3.2GHz. Now, my question is - is the AS-ROCK OC Tuner software safe to...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Avast - letting program through real time protection
Hi all I was wondering if anyone one knows how I let a web based program through the real time scan. I am paying for livedata for the stockmarket. This runs through java script in my web browser and avast is causing this data to be delayed as it is busy doing its protection thing. (real...
System Security
Can I use Avast with Norton 2010?Is Avast is light AV?
I m using Norton 2010 but thinking to take Extra security. So should i use Avast with it or MSE ???? Which one will be lighter & better ???????
System Security
Windows 7 will rock world
Windows 7 will be microsofts greatest os.
General Discussion
Windows 7 is on rock solid track for RTM on July 13th
As TechARP.com reported, which is a very reliable source for information around Microsoft, considering their past glory on accurately reporting the release date of Windows XP SP3, Windows VISTA SP1/2, and lots of other major releases. Update @ July 9 : Although there have been rumours that...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App