Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ms security essentials

22 Dec 2009   #11
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

I've always been curious about this, anyone have any info on who it was that set the internet standard for the all caps was considered shouting or whatever? I don't do it but personally it's never bothered me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Dec 2009   #12
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zaine1 View Post
No problem here mse i have had for a good mnth or so now relaced it with avg free probably mentioned before put if any of you are worried that the virus deffinitions are being downloaded they are as long as you have windows update set to automaticaly download the def files are being downloaded on average twice a day the odd time three time daily put thats few and in between just go to windows update -update history on the left side and click the update history will be there also i have mine set for auto scan around 8.00am and it does it faithfully around that time not bad at at all not sure yet if it compares with avg free put i would say at the present its pretty darn close as good anyway in my mind anyway i would most definantly give it a try guys. I set mine for full scan feel safer that way pretty simple ante virus software put works good -fast scanner thats for sure.
Updates may be released twice or three times a day.
But updates are downloaded only once a day through Windows Update (in your case only at 8.00 am)
Unless you will install or check windows update manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2009   #13
alwinwinjoe

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Version 6.1 (build 7600.16385)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by clunkfish View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zaine1 View Post
No problem here mse i have had for a good mnth or so now relaced it with avg free probably mentioned before put if any of you are worried that the virus deffinitions are being downloaded they are as long as you have windows update set to automaticaly download the def files are being downloaded on average twice a day the odd time three time daily put thats few and in between just go to windows update -update history on the left side and click the update history will be there also i have mine set for auto scan around 8.00am and it does it faithfully around that time not bad at at all not sure yet if it compares with avg free put i would say at the present its pretty darn close as good anyway in my mind anyway i would most definantly give it a try guys. I set mine for full scan feel safer that way pretty simple ante virus software put works good -fast scanner thats for sure.
Wow - lot of anger about this post during the season of goodwill....

Word has a useful "change case" button. Took about 10 seconds, resulted in the translation above.

Zaine1 is making a useful point in reponse to a question posed on this forum - does MSE auto-update? Zaine1 says it can be made to do so, so thanks friend for a helpful post
+1 Tnx a lot! That saved my eyes.

Zaine1: That's really informative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Dec 2009   #14
echrada

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I use MS Security Essentials and it updates automatically, very happy with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2009   #15
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Ive set mine to update at 3am while im asleep.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #16
navkan

windows 7 premium
 
 

I am new to Windows 7 and MSE. I cannot get it to update defs automatically. Whenever I boot, MSE says my definitions are up to date but if I select UPDATE it always does a new download. I can set MSE for an automatic scan but cannot find where I can set it for automatic update. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #17
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by navkan View Post
I am new to Windows 7 and MSE. I cannot get it to update defs automatically. Whenever I boot, MSE says my definitions are up to date but if I select UPDATE it always does a new download. I can set MSE for an automatic scan but cannot find where I can set it for automatic update. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
Thing is updates are released more then once a day.
As far as I know MSE dose definition update on scheduled scan, so it's only once a day (if you put)
But you can also put scheduled Windows Update which will update MSE aswell.
Windows Update Settings - Change

So updates will be twice a day..
And if you want your MSE most up-to date, you can do manual updates now and then when you are free. (I used to do it even with McAfee or NIS which had auto updates almost every 3-4 hours anyway)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #18
thepapa

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

I have a question regarding MSE. I just got my new laptop about 5 weeks ago and it came with a Norton 360 disk. I have had Norton in the past and have had good luck with it so I dumped the pre-installed McAffee and installed the Norton 360. It has worked flawlessly, and runs in the background without a noticeable draw on my system resources. I guess what my question is would it be beneficial to supplement my Norton with MSE, for extra protection, or would they not play nice together? Or, would it a waste of time and resources to run two programs? I have seen a few posts where people don't recommend using Norton, but so far it is working well for me. Thanks in advance for any replies and or opinions. Have a great day!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #19
artinusa

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

SEmantics to the extreme ..so sad ..his point was valid and useful to those who were in doubt ..his very purpose
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #20
neoasr

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit OEM 6.1 Build7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thepapa View Post
I have a question regarding MSE. I just got my new laptop about 5 weeks ago and it came with a Norton 360 disk. I have had Norton in the past and have had good luck with it so I dumped the pre-installed McAffee and installed the Norton 360. It has worked flawlessly, and runs in the background without a noticeable draw on my system resources. I guess what my question is would it be beneficial to supplement my Norton with MSE, for extra protection, or would they not play nice together? Or, would it a waste of time and resources to run two programs? I have seen a few posts where people don't recommend using Norton, but so far it is working well for me. Thanks in advance for any replies and or opinions. Have a great day!!
first let me tell u those who r saying norton is a resource or not recommending it.. its because of their past experience .. they didnt tested norton new version ie 2010...

mse can run with norton 360 .. but i personally dont recomend it.. because i was using nis2010 with mse .. all viruses caught by mse also caught by norton... so there z no need for 2 av...

although u can use MBAM or superantispyware or a2 squard with norton

best of luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ms security essentials




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
AVG 9 Internet Security v Microsoft Security Essentials
Which is better? I have AVG 9 til 2018, full version, but I'm considering MSE. Which is better? Which do you use?
System Security
MS Security Essentials
I have used Zone Alarm Security Suite for about ten years and have always been please with it. Their annual fee is $39 to keep the updates current. I am thinking of switching to MS Security Essentials. The reviews I have read seem to be good, but I would like to hear from some real people. Tell...
System Security
Is Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall enough Security?
Is the above enough security or should I be going for an anti-virus program as well?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:44.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App