Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is there a chance I am okay?

24 Dec 2009   #11
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

A few years ago I thought that I had a virus (no not the swine flu type), and I made a virus scan and all was well. To get that extra confidence that I wanted. I went to the Symantec site (they offered a free virus scan), you may want to double check, too. If Symantec does not still offer it one of the other major might, Mcafee, etc. They offfer it because they hope you find something, get nervous and buy their product.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Dec 2009   #12
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Just quick tip:
Boot your computer in safe mode and scan with Malwarebytes full scan.

If you want to be sure you can get other scanners aswell:
Hitman Pro 3 - SurfRight (cloud scanner, so you will need internet connection to scan. Scan time approximately 2-3 minutes)
a-squared Free - Free of charge Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Dialer and Anti-Worm Software - Freeware! (it is scans with Anti Malware and Anti-Virus scanners. But it takes a while to scan full system)
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! (it is a similar program to Malwarebtes)

If you are still unsure, I can give more.
But you should be ok.

But before deleting anything show us results, in case it's just False positive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #13
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

I remember reading somewhere on the malwarebytes forum about that same result being a false positive, shows up regularly on Vista & W7 64 bit installations. You can either do nothing, or add it to the whitelist.

+1 for MBAM & SuperAntiSpyware (just uncheck "start when windows starts", as the free version doesn't include real time protection anyway)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Dec 2009   #14
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
Just quick tip:
Boot your computer in safe mode and scan with Malwarebytes full scan.

If you want to be sure you can get other scanners aswell:
Hitman Pro 3 - SurfRight (cloud scanner, so you will need internet connection to scan. Scan time approximately 2-3 minutes)
a-squared Free - Free of charge Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Dialer and Anti-Worm Software - Freeware! (it is scans with Anti Malware and Anti-Virus scanners. But it takes a while to scan full system)
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! (it is a similar program to Malwarebtes)

If you are still unsure, I can give more.
But you should be ok.

But before deleting anything show us results, in case it's just False positive.
I HIGHLY recommend Hitman Pro and its basically all you need as an on-demand scanner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #15
J23

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
Great feedback.

So there are obviously a lot of opinions about what to run etc. Is thee a concensus on a boot /rootkit method?
Thanks for all your hellp.
Jason
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #16
J23

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
A few years ago I thought that I had a virus (no not the swine flu type), and I made a virus scan and all was well. To get that extra confidence that I wanted. I went to the Symantec site (they offered a free virus scan), you may want to double check, too. If Symantec does not still offer it one of the other major might, Mcafee, etc. They offfer it because they hope you find something, get nervous and buy their product.
I ran Esets online scan. I believe this is the best call re "live" scans. I shall check symatnec as of now and post results.
Thanks,
J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2009   #17
J23

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
q about running multiple malware apps?

As I just said there are a lot of suggestions in this thread, all of which I'm open to, but I am concerned about running multple anti-malware/anti virus apps at the same time. The cloud ones strike me as being the best opiion as the footprint would be the lightest. To the point, does anyone know of any of the programs mentioned in this thread cause any form of conflict with MSE or Malwarebytes?

There is no such thing as too much data so thank you again.

J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #18
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

on demand scanners such as Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperAnti Spyware etc generally won't conflict with each other, or antivirus programs. Running multiple antivirus programs with real time protection will cause conflicts, and as such, should be avoided. Online scans won't conflict with anything.
The "best" antivirus/antimalware/antirootkit/antispyware is a hotly debatable topic. Basically, the one that works best for you will be the one that fixes the problem...
Let us know how you go
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #19
J23

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

[QUOTE=jav;458742]Just quick tip:
Boot your computer in safe mode and scan with Malwarebytes full scan.
Nice tip. should have thought of it. an I just ran it with 0 report of malware.

If you want to be sure you can get other scanners aswell:
Hitman Pro 3 - SurfRight
Yeah , I think I will run this one next. All is looking great so far. There is light @ the end of the tunnel.

Regards
Jason
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2009   #20
J23

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
header

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orpheous View Post
on demand scanners such as Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperAnti Spyware etc generally won't conflict with each other, or antivirus programs. Running multiple antivirus programs with real time protection will cause conflicts, and as such, should be avoided. Online scans won't conflict with anything.
The "best" antivirus/antimalware/antirootkit/antispyware is a hotly debatable topic. Basically, the one that works best for you will be the one that fixes the problem...
Let us know how you go
Great info. You can look below , welll actually above re my malwarebytes safe mode scan. As far a the best AV ...Yeah that is a huge debate. I am loving what MS has done with MSE (even without hiroustics ...spelling...!!!) had Eset 4 for a year but was not impressed as many are with the prog. It does lea ve a light footprint but not the best security in my circles experiances.
J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is there a chance I am okay?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Any chance I can upgrade my RAM?
Currently I have the following configurations: Windows 7 Professional SP1 Current RAM: 2GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm for Inspiron 6400/E1505 Processor: Inspiron E1505,Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080 (1MB/1.73GHz/533MHz) Dell keeps telling me that the maximum RAM supported on my...
Hardware & Devices
I know i am a little cheeky but any chance of some help
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could do me a favor please :D I would like 2 circles creating with transparent edges (so you only see the actual circle without the square around it) The circle i would like is the one from this picture: I would like to see the circle to the black...
Customization
I took the chance, B careful what U wish 4
well, thank you all for the advice for the past 6months. I took the chance and got this: Amazon.com: Gateway NV7923u 17.3-Inch Laptop (NightSky Black): Computer & Accessories what a learning curve from my vista32bit laptop. to me.... it's slower and stuff is missing. I added the...
General Discussion
Any Chance of a little help? =)
Hey people just stuck with 1 little problem. iv got windows 7 profesional on my nice old laptop (Fajitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2055) laptop, yes i know its about 5 years old, but it runs 7 amazingly but the 1 problem i have is with my graphics card driver, it is saying that it is not updated...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App