Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which security utilities in W 7

03 Jan 2010   #41
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by manhunter2826 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
hi !

are there no safe alternatives to adobe flash player ?
I'd like to know too! But even if there were, does it matter given that Flash is embedded in sites such as YouTube, so one is 'forced' to use it?
hi !

by alternatives i meant another program that can be used INSTEAD of adobe flash player, on fx. youtube.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jan 2010   #42
Anderson2

Windows 7
 
 

[QUOTE=Anderson2;479728]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine MVP View Post
Download Flush Flash Cookies by Bobbi Flekman.
Select the Windows version and save flushflash.exe to your Desktop.
Double-click flushflash.exe to run it.
Select Everything.
Click Make it so!.
When the "Killed off all Flash cookies" window opens, click OK.
Close Flush Flash Cookies.
If you select everything, won't that also delete the Adobe Site settings you just modified for safety?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2010   #43
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post

If you select everything, won't that also delete the Adobe Site settings you just modified for safety?
It will delete.
But as I understood from Corrine's post.
He meant delete everything and THEN create flash settings so it will not store anymore.
So there will not be need for deleting again after some time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jan 2010   #44
Anderson2

Windows 7
 
 

Aha!

(Till Adobe surreptitiously changes your settings without telling you ......) Isn't paranoia great? ;-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2010   #45
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

^^Lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2010   #46
Corrine

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anderson2
Another security measure I would like to add to the mix concerns the use of search engines. It is well known that Google and others keep records of all your searches.
You may find this interesting: Mozilla exec suggests Firefox users move to Bing, cites Google privacy stance

Tracking cookies are not a security threat and some cookies are helpful (i.e., your logon cookie here at SevenForums ). I do block 3rd party cookies. Although, due to Hotmail imposes tracking cookies for logout ? The Register , if you use Hotmail/Live Mail, you will want to allow passport.com, live.com and hotmail.com (and msn.com if that is your home/start page). In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Privacy. Under "accept cookies from sites, click "Exceptions", add those sites and select Allow. (Note that my favorite WinPatrol also includes a cookie manager )

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post
Corinne, you are wonderful. I'm following this thread waiting for my new W 7 laptop to arrive. On my trusty XP laptop I too used Zone Alarm, Avast free, Firefox whenever possible, Secunia, intermittent Ad-Aware and Spybot,A Squared, frequent defrag and backups, etc. and my XP laptop has been trouble free till the screen display went (something to do with the cable). which is why I am forced into a new laptop.
I was unaware that Quicken - which I also use - uses flash cookies! Does it delete them when it shuts down? In your note do you mean do not use Quicken at this time or the LSo deleting utility while Quicken is running? My Quicken data files are kept encrypted in a TrueCrypt volume (though I know that in XP (and probably W 7) the data is still theoretically retrievable till I reboot the computer). Any security advice for Quicken users?
I use Foxit instead of Adobe but will check Adobe's flash settings as you indicate. I will also try WinPatrol when my new W 7 laptop arrives.
Thanks Corinne.
I know, it gets confusing. Most home PC's have Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Air and Adobe Shockwave Player, although I try to avoid products that require Adobe Air and am not a fan of Adobe Shockwave Player.

As you use Foxit, I gather (hope) you installed it without the additional tool bar. Did you uninstall old versions of Adobe Reader? I would -- and did on my computers (See How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control ).

With regard to Adobe Flash, I am not aware of alternatives (and personally do not wish to use Google Chrome). Based on the developer's note with regard to Quicken, I would suspect that it stores Flash cookies and use of his tool will remove that data. Thus, since you use Quicken, you should consider following the instructions for the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager (see link in earlier post). CCleaner also has an option under Applications for Adobe Flash Player which I believe clears the LSO/flash cookies.

Another option for Mozilla-Based browsers is NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction. It takes a bit of training for trusted sites but well worth the effort:

Quote:
The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Flock, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java and Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank), and provides the most powerful Anti-XSS protection available in a browser.
I think you will find with Windows 7 that you will not need three anti-malware programs (SpyBot, AAW & A2). In addition, you will find that it will not be necessary to frequently defrag the computer. Personally, I allow the built in Scheduled Task (ScheduledDfrag) run weekly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2010   #47
Anderson2

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anderson2
Another security measure I would like to add to the mix concerns the use of search engines. It is well known that Google and others keep records of all your searches.
You may find this interesting: Mozilla exec suggests Firefox users move to Bing, cites Google privacy stance
Interesting, though Google's tracking has been known for years. I do have Bing as one of my search engines but have for years used Ixquick for 99% of my searches for the reasons given earlier. If you have not tried it, it is worth a try.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Tracking cookies are not a security threat and some cookies are helpful (i.e., your logon cookie here at SevenForums ). I do block 3rd party cookies. Although, due to Hotmail imposes tracking cookies for logout ? The Register , if you use Hotmail/Live Mail, you will want to allow passport.com, live.com and hotmail.com (and msn.com if that is your home/start page).
I've never used hotmail and the like precisely because they require passport, etc.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
As you use Foxit, I gather (hope) you installed it without the additional tool bar. Did you uninstall old versions of Adobe Reader? I would -- and did on my computers (See How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control ).
Oh yes. You probably know me by now. No tool bar! and I uninstalled all Adobe Reader versions since I never use them.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Based on the developer's note with regard to Quicken, I would suspect that it stores Flash cookies and use of his tool will remove that data. Thus, since you use Quicken, you should consider following the instructions for the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager (see link in earlier post). CCleaner also has an option under Applications for Adobe Flash Player which I believe clears the LSO/flash cookies.
I'm going to have to investigate Quicken's use of flash cookies.
I did follow your instructions for the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager. Thank you! I also use CCleaner intermittently and Better Privacy in Firefox which gets rid of the Flash cookies on exit and on a time basis. Actually I have 2 Firefox profiles which allow me to run 2 instances of Firefox simultaneously, one with very tight settings in Better Privacy and another for general use with a lot more useful addins and different settings for Better Privacy. I have NoScript in both Firefox profiles, and as you say it can be annoying until one gets used to how to use it. Also have the IE add-in so I can switch the Firefox window to IE on the rare occasions that require it because of Active-X.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
I think you will find with Windows 7 that you will not need three anti-malware programs (SpyBot, AAW & A2). In addition, you will find that it will not be necessary to frequently defrag the computer. Personally, I allow the built in Scheduled Task (ScheduledDfrag) run weekly.
That would be nice. I definitely think I will start by using the built-in W 7 defragger and avoid purchasing an update to my PerfectDisk which is still at version 6. Experts keep saying that defragging is less necessary with the newer Windows file systems but I find it makes a difference to defrag every week or two or when things seem to slow down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which security utilities in W 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Puran Utilities as of now?
I decided to do a complete reinstall last night and spent a couple of hours on and today I was busy setting things up again when I opened up Chrome only to find it taking me to some homepage of a site called snap.do! I've been infected again :mad: So I'm reinstalling everything again as I...
Software
Any clean up utilities that I could use?
Hello I would like to know how do I use the clean up utility feature. Is it build into windows 7 if so, how would I use it, or if I need to download one dose anyone have any easy one to download? thanks regards, Andrew
Performance & Maintenance
AVG PC TUNE UP,TUNEUP UTILITIES 2011 & GLARY UTILITIES PRO etc.
Goodmorning everyone Is one performance/cleaning program all you need or do they supply one another or am i (An Cleaning Imbicil).If i should choose i wood go with AVG PC TUNE UP.Advice needed Kind Regards Asser.:confused:
Performance & Maintenance
tuneup utilities
I just installed tuneup utilities 2011, and when i ran the free uo disc space option it said that it cleared over 19 gb of backups, in previous versions the freed up space would immediatly show up as available in my hard drive, now it doesnt change....any ideas?
Software
We need TuneUp Utilities or not ?
so , do we need TuneUp Utilities or software like that to maintain our system ?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App