Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: firewall

22 Jan 2010   #11
TheIgster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

PC Tools Firewall Plus. Very easy to configure and free:

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

Also scored 100% on Results and comments - www.matousec.com


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jan 2010   #12
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

hi !

WDAexodus: Threatfire is #25 on Matousec´s list....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2010   #13
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

I am behind a hardware firewall, making a full featured firewall on my computer worthless absolutely worthless. I barely even have the Windows Firewall active, there is just no point in it when the only work it will have is legitimate traffic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jan 2010   #14
kronckew

Win 7 ultimate x64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
I am behind a hardware firewall, making a full featured firewall on my computer worthless absolutely worthless. I barely even have the Windows Firewall active, there is just no point in it when the only work it will have is legitimate traffic.
hardware firewalls/routers only protect you from stuff originating on the dirty side of the device, on the clean side you are vulnerable to others on the lan subnet, tho hopefully if they are in your home you have some control over the lan members and have full wifi security (wpa2) enabled for the hackers that might 'borrow' your WAP...

they also do not protect you from traffic originating on your own pc, such as that from malware - trojan, spyware, virii etc. - or from you connecting to dodgy sites that might infect you since you originated the connection.

win7's firewall is a step up from the xp firewall in that you do have control over outgoing applications, but the interface for rules is awkward if you have anything more than the basic applications.

then there are the 'leaks' that matousec tests against & which form the basis for his ranking list for s/w firewalls. h/w firewalls are pretty much transparent to those exploits. his list is a bit out of date, as newer less vulnerable versions of some of the listed ones are now available.

h/w firewalls are a usefull adjunct as they will intercept a number of attacks, such as DOS (denial of service) and thus take quite a load off any software firewall so as to lessen it's impact on performance while you are under attack. the windows firewall is the bare minimum of protection.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #15
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
they also do not protect you from traffic originating on your own pc, such as that from malware - trojan, spyware, virii etc. - or from you connecting to dodgy sites that might infect you since you originated the connection.
If you are the type to install malware on your computers, then a firewall is the least of your concerns. Firewalls stopping malware is a ridiculous notion, that is not there job. A software firewall would not protect you from a dodgy site either, that task is left to a content filter. A firewall is merely a tool to allow authorized traffic through and block unauthorized traffic, that is all.

No, a full-blown firewall is as I said worthless absolutely worthless on my systems. I would actually like to get work done not micro-managing my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #16
TheIgster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
No, a full-blown firewall is as I said worthless absolutely worthless on my systems. I would actually like to get work done not micro-managing my computer.
I used to say the same thing and while the hardware firewall does quite well, sometimes software gets installed on my system either without me knowing it along with something else or because sometimes I visit sites maybe I shouldn't. That's what the software firewall is for. You say micro-managing, I say being in control of what comes in and what goes out on my system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #17
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheIgster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
No, a full-blown firewall is as I said worthless absolutely worthless on my systems. I would actually like to get work done not micro-managing my computer.
I used to say the same thing and while the hardware firewall does quite well, sometimes software gets installed on my system either without me knowing it along with something else or because sometimes I visit sites maybe I shouldn't. That's what the software firewall is for. You say micro-managing, I say being in control of what comes in and what goes out on my system.
+1 .. its another layer of the Secruity Onion!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #18
polarbear

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheIgster View Post
PC Tools Firewall Plus. Very easy to configure and free:

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

Also scored 100% on Results and comments - www.matousec.com
Downloaded the above software last night to test... Well running the last test. ( leaktest) if failed. GL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #19
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

hi!

"Downloaded the above software last night to test... Well running the last test. ( leaktest) if failed"

do you mean Comodo´s LeakTest (CLT) ?
where you running with an admin or user-account ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2010   #20
polarbear

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
hi!

"Downloaded the above software last night to test... Well running the last test. ( leaktest) if failed"

do you mean Comodo´s LeakTest (CLT) ?
where you running with an admin or user-account ?
Gibsons Research Corp. GRC.com

Ran it from with my Admin account. I did get the choice from PC-Tools to block which I selected but it failed right after. If running PC-Tools, give it a try. GL

Windows 7 Firewall Control did pass the same test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 firewall




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows firewall blocking .exe file even after firewall is disabled
Hey everyone, This is my first post, and first time I've not been able to solve my problem by searching previous posts...so hopefully someone can help me out. I'm trying to install a downloaded .exe file, and Windows firewall is blocking it regardless of whether the firewall is active or not; the...
System Security
Windows Firewall disables itself every 5 or 6 hours "Wndows Firewall i
I have a problem with Windows Firewall disabling itself every 5 or 6 hours on my computer! Windows Firewall will automatically disable itself and give the following message "Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer." with only one option "use recommended...
System Security
Windows Firewall starts with 3rd party firewall installed and active
Hi guys, Could anyone explain to me why Windows Firewall starts when I have Comodo Firewall installed and running? It makes me nervous! :confused: I have a fresh installation of Comodo Internet Security. The only reason I knew it was running was because I got the message after a reboot,...
System Security
Can't share network with firewall on, can't reset firewall to default
I suddenly noticed my desktop wasn't on the network any more. On inspection, network discovery and file sharing was disabled. I tried to enable it, but it would not. I found out if I turned off the firewall it worked fine. I tried to reset the firewall to default, but I get "Could not restore the...
Network & Sharing
Windows Personal Firewall service and Mcafee firewall not turning on
I have been dealin with this 2 days now and went through all the steps recommended by Microsoft... even downloaded Virtual tech for mcafee and FIx it for MS none worked. went to google to try to follow other advises and tried to do malware removal . after it i followed these steps: Download both...
System Security
eset firewall and anti virus or whats the best firewall with windows
IS the esset firewall any worth comparied to comando? or outpost or others? I know its mainly a anti virus with built in firewall but does is it worth it? is comando the best?
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App