Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Avira free or Norton Internet Security???

16 Feb 2010   #11
polarbear

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scoopeeedoo View Post
Hi!

I know this is the eternal question, but let me tell you about my dilemma :

Since i run Seven, i use Avira free edition + Windows Firewall & Win7 Firewall Control + Spybot

but my internet provider offers me freely Norton Internet Security 2010 with my subsciption...

I used NIS2009 (also free with subsciption) last year with XP, and had no probs in fact, but after reading more and more bad words about Norton, i decided to change...

When i think about it, it seems nuts not to take benefit from a gift from my internet provider, and now i just really don't know what to do anymore...

What's your opinion, Folks...???

Thanks in advance...
To be honest with you IMO i won't recommend either one of them.
I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials with Malwarebytes & WinPatrol and yes Win 7 Firewall control is good one.

Hope this helps,
Captain
I agree with the Captain... I have one puter with MSE and Malwarebytes and the other with MSE and Avast... both are working perfect with its mate... and the best part is, all the software is free... GL


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Feb 2010   #12
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Results for today :
Avira : 2 points,
NIS : 5 points,
Others (MSE) : 3 points...

Thanks guys for your advices, waiting for more opinions...
Very interesting battle...!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #13
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You have to consider that the voting is on the premise that NIS is free. If it were to cost the regular price year over year, I think more people (including myself) would tend towards MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Feb 2010   #14
scoopeeedoo

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You have to consider that the voting is on the premise that NIS is free. If it were to cost the regular price year over year, I think more people (including myself) would tend towards MSE.
Of course i do...
But precisely they are here at the same level of comparaison, cause of the price not entering in consideration, aren't they...
I i had to pay the price, i would even not ask me any question!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #15
DarkRhystar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
People used to talk bad about Norton product line, because it had a bit bad reputation in the past.

And all those people who is still talking bad about the products are basing their statement on the words of other people who in their own turn are basing their statement on it's past history.

There is no proper evidence that this particular product is worse then any other competitors now...

So, it's up to you if you would like to follow the wave of norton haters or not.

My personal advice, go for Norton Internet Security 2010.
It's strong, easy and light product which will offer you enough protection.

And I advice even more as you are getting it for free, but first check if they are giving Norton Internet Security 2010 or Norton Anti Virus or some modified version of those products?
I don't use Norton and I don't recommend it.

Unless you're a tech enthusiast or a security aficionado, you're not likely to be running the most up-to-date versions of all your software and Norton is awful at maintaining compatibility with other applications. Often times, the hotfixes and updates will fix problems only to create more of them. Troubleshooting a system running Norton quickly becomes a painful process because no version of Norton ever seems to work with everything.

The ideal security system to me is one that you can turn on and forget it exists. This means a low memory footprint, non-invasive security measures, and no compatibility issues. Norton doesn't achieve any of those and it's a costly investment at that.

Just to be clear, this isn't knowledge that's 5 years old, this is last week knowledge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkRhystar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
People used to talk bad about Norton product line, because it had a bit bad reputation in the past.

And all those people who is still talking bad about the products are basing their statement on the words of other people who in their own turn are basing their statement on it's past history.

There is no proper evidence that this particular product is worse then any other competitors now...

So, it's up to you if you would like to follow the wave of norton haters or not.

My personal advice, go for Norton Internet Security 2010.
It's strong, easy and light product which will offer you enough protection.

And I advice even more as you are getting it for free, but first check if they are giving Norton Internet Security 2010 or Norton Anti Virus or some modified version of those products?
I don't use Norton and I don't recommend it.

Unless you're a tech enthusiast or a security aficionado, you're not likely to be running the most up-to-date versions of all your software and Norton is awful at maintaining compatibility with other applications. Often times, the hotfixes and updates will fix problems only to create more of them. Troubleshooting a system running Norton quickly becomes a painful process because no version of Norton ever seems to work with everything.

The ideal security system to me is one that you can turn on and forget it exists. This means a low memory footprint, non-invasive security measures, and no compatibility issues. Norton doesn't achieve any of those and it's a costly investment at that.

Just to be clear, isn't knowledge that's 5 years old, this is last week knowledge.

What you say about Norton may have been true years back. But I was using NIS 09 on 3 systems and never had a problem. I think they really cleaned up their act. And right now it is considered the Nr.1 security suite in most professional tests I read. One problem though that seems to remain is an incompatibility with system restore. There were reports that Norton prevented the system to be restored from restore points (shadows). I have no own experience with that because I restore from Ghost and Macrium images.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #17
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkRhystar View Post

I don't use Norton and I don't recommend it.

Unless you're a tech enthusiast or a security aficionado, you're not likely to be running the most up-to-date versions of all your software and Norton is awful at maintaining compatibility with other applications. Often times, the hotfixes and updates will fix problems only to create more of them. Troubleshooting a system running Norton quickly becomes a painful process because no version of Norton ever seems to work with everything.

The ideal security system to me is one that you can turn on and forget it exists. This means a low memory footprint, non-invasive security measures, and no compatibility issues. Norton doesn't achieve any of those and it's a costly investment at that.

Just to be clear, isn't knowledge that's 5 years old, this is last week knowledge.
Any evidence to backup your statement?

Quote:
Just to be clear, isn't knowledge that's 5 years old, this is last week knowledge.
And this is the knowledge from using NIS 2010 right now in one of my laptops.
And believe I have enough experience and knowledge to tell difference between products.
And I can't tell if something is incompatible in my system. And there was only one (Google Chrome with Applocker, which I fixed.. (anyway, it's nothing to do with NIS)

Quote:
The ideal security system to me is one that you can turn on and forget it exists. This means a low memory footprint, non-invasive security measures, and no compatibility issues. Norton doesn't achieve any of those and it's a costly investment at that.
this was the same thing I was looking for when choosing AV product.
As I already mentioned my main security approach is based on AppLocker (so theoretically I don't even need real-time AV). That's why I looked for set and forget and low footprint.
And believe me NIS achieved it.
Facts?

As I already mentioned, I had no compatibility issues.
It auto updates almost every hour. (or sometimes 30 minutes)
It's firewall doesn't bother me, as it's automatic settings works really good.
Email Protection, Sonar detection, Insight network scan and so on...
Idle time scanning works really good.... (it will do background task while I am away of my PC)
Full Screen detection, detects all programs I want it to detect without even me manually setting them
and so on.....
And not big perfomance hit... And belive I notice when there is perfomance hit as I do heavy gaming (and that's when one can notice it, not average users who only use their browser and complain about RAM usage of their AV )


Anyway, I am not going to start war.
Tastes different, and people experience same products different ways.
I have seen great products which were bad on my setup....

But still if he is getting it for free I would recommend it.
Thank you for your information, so now choice remains after OP after reading both sides of the story.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs
There were reports that Norton prevented the system to be restored from restore points (shadows). I have no own experience with that because I restore from Ghost and Macrium images.
I will try that one some time later.. But I think I was able to restore it in the past
Maybe I am mistaken with another PC....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #18
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Norton IS2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #19
scoopeeedoo

 
 

[QUOTE=jav;574056]




Anyway, I am not going to start war.
Tastes different, and people experience same products different ways.
I have seen great products which were bad on my setup....



Of course!!! I think there's not really ONE good solution...
I had probs last year with a cd that i scanned first with... Malwarebytes...! I had to format my pc after that...
However it was my most trusted tools to search malwares...
I tested the cd then with NIS2009 (i was running it at that time...) and he found the threat...
On another side, since i use Avira, he found suspicious files never seen by Norton...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2010   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

[QUOTE=scoopeeedoo;574092]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post




Anyway, I am not going to start war.
Tastes different, and people experience same products different ways.
I have seen great products which were bad on my setup....



Of course!!! I think there's not really ONE good solution...
I had probs last year with a cd that i scanned first with... Malwarebytes...! I had to format my pc after that...
However it was my most trusted tools to search malwares...
I tested the cd then with NIS2009 (i was running it at that time...) and he found the threat...
On another side, since i use Avira, he found suspicious files never seen by Norton...

You make a good point. They all have their strength and weaknesses. That's why I like to scan files here. Then I get 30 different scanners to look at it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Avira free or Norton Internet Security???




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No Internet After Uninstalling Avira Internet Security
Greetings, I am having an issue with one of client machine where after uninstalling Avira Internet Security , i lost my internet connection . weird thing is that , i can still open one website , but not the rest. Troubleshooting i did so far : 1. cmd-> netsh winsock reset press Enter
Network & Sharing
Norton Internet Security 2011 vs Avast! Free 5.0
Hello, which is better? Norton Internet Security 2011 or Avast! free 5.0? Which one will slow down my computer more, or has higher detection rates?
System Security
Faster, Safer Internet with Free Norton DNS
Faster, Safer Internet with Free Norton DNS - Norton Community Norton DNS
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2010 for 6 months free
Hello guys Here is Norton promotion page that you will get NIS 2010 key for 6 month for free! Page is for 2009 but it will work on 2010 version to! NIS 2010 is one of the best security suits in the world! :D This is just for you guys! Enjoy :D ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App