Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: NOD32 caused slow-down, AVAST hasn't

02 Mar 2010   #11
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Why would I stop using the product that has won more VB100 awards than any other and is consistently at the top of it's game and switch to an inferior product? Makes no sense!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Mar 2010   #12
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Why would I stop using the product that has won more VB100 awards than any other and is consistently at the top of it's game and switch to an inferior product? Makes no sense!
Inferior? And who funds the VB100?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #13
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Yes inferior. I don't know where VB Bulletin gets it's money but it isn't vendor funded. It is an independant organisation. Anyway, who cares? It's only 1 tester. NOD32 outperforms MSE everywhere you look. Why would I switch?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2010   #14
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Yes inferior. I don't know where VB Bulletin gets it's money but it isn't vendor funded. It is an independant organisation.
The performance is better, it won't break 7, and the scanning detection is close.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #15
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Nowhere near close. Thanks but no thanks. I'm right with what I have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #16
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

If I didn't have NOD32 for free, then I would be using MSE on my main machine. I have MSE on my HTPC and on all machines I build or repair, but MSE doesn't catch everything, so I'd recommend using something like Malwarebytes to scan the machine periodically, in addition to MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #17
remm

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Not to start a riot, but I am no fan of spyware, and AFAIC MSE is spyware; checking your system to see if you have illegal software, cracks or the like. That's not looking for AV and viruses... that's being a cop.


Moreover, with their proprietary code, who knows what the heck that program is doing. I have been using computers since 1988, and started out thinking Bill Gates and MS were GREAT... but after being in the industry from 88-95, and seeing how MS behaved as a corporation in an effort to force people to use MS products that were most often inferior to the competition... after researching cyber rights for the next 5 years from 95-2000 and seeing how MS (and the DMA) plowed over the privacy of its customers (Google their record on privacy) and all the ways MS was purposefully deceitful.. over and over...; I don't trust MS as far as I can spit. I don't use any MS programs, but the OS, and only b/c I have to. (I wish the programs I require came in Linus flavors, but they don't.) The third party programs I use are there for a reason. No MS email, no MS messenger, no MS Outhouse... no MS IE. No MS anything... and certainly no MSE!!

Again, JMHO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #18
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by remm View Post
Not to start a riot, but I am no fan of spyware, and AFAIC MSE is spyware; checking your system to see if you have illegal software, cracks or the like. That's not looking for AV and viruses... that's being a cop.


Moreover, with their proprietary code, who knows what the heck that program is doing. I have been using computers since 1988, and started out thinking Bill Gates and MS were GREAT... but after being in the industry from 88-95, and seeing how MS behaved as a corporation in an effort to force people to use MS products that were most often inferior to the competition... after researching cyber rights for the next 5 years from 95-2000 and seeing how MS (and the DMA) plowed over the privacy of its customers (Google their record on privacy) and all the ways MS was purposefully deceitful.. over and over...; I don't trust MS as far as I can spit. I don't use any MS programs, but the OS, and only b/c I have to. (I wish the programs I require came in Linus flavors, but they don't.) The third party programs I use are there for a reason. No MS email, no MS messenger, no MS Outhouse... no MS IE. No MS anything... and certainly no MSE!!

Again, JMHO.
Here we go again. I don't care if Microsoft records my IP address or my film history from WMP or inserting code to check if its legal or anything. Does Microsoft care? No - apart from the legality of the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #19
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Here we go again. I don't care if Microsoft records my IP address or my film history from WMP or inserting code to check if its legal or anything. Does Microsoft care? No - apart from the legality of the OS.
That's fine for you but some people do care and they are entitled to. It's their choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #20
remm

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Nowhere near close. Thanks but no thanks. I'm right with what I have.
If NOD32 hadn't given me grief, I wouldn't have switched either. But I am happier with AVAST because of the problems NOD32 caused.

Btw, what CPU/chipset does your system have?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 NOD32 caused slow-down, AVAST hasn't




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Avast making internet slow
So I recently installed Avast antivirus and it works really well except it slows down my internet and makes my ping higher. Is there any solution to this?
System Security
Avast! boot scan seems to have caused a windows not genuine error.
Long story inbound. I mostly want to know that my windows validation whatever is ok, but any help on the rest of this is highly welcome. For the past week or so my startup time has been very slow. After seeing the blue welcome screen I would just get a black screen and mouse, no desktop or...
Windows Updates & Activation
BSoD While Scanning PS With Avast, Possibly Caused by Atikmdag.sys
Today, as I was scanning my computer with Avast IS, like five minutes into the scan the screen flickered, some crazy colors appeared, followed by a BSoD, which disappeared fast. Then the system restarted itself and I received a "No boot device" error. I waited a few minutes, I restarted again,...
BSOD Help and Support
Avast Vs Nod32
hey guys im just wondering do i have to have Nod32 and avast runnig at the same time because it takes up quite alot of CPU avast soo just wondering thanks :D
System Security
NOD32 Antivirus Error Msg But NOD32 Not Installed
I received a Taskbar Notification Area message that says "Solve a problem with NOD32 Antivirus System". I have never installed this product. I am using the latest AVG free antivirus program. This occured on Build 7201. What should I do about this?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App