Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Block Freeware to access the Internet

09 Mar 2010   #11
ridakash

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

The most AV Intenet secutity can block software to access internet by there Firewall:kaspersky,eset smart security,Avira ...but Windows Firewall doesn't..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Mar 2010   #12
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

windows firewall with advanced security??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #13
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Schroff87 View Post
windows firewall with advanced security??
It does; but it uses user unfriendly rules to do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Mar 2010   #14
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

ya .. i wish there was a better interface to it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #15
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Er, Windows firewall DOES automatically block all new software fom acessing the internet til you say "OK" to a popup the first time you run it.

Unless youpve turned it off or changed it's settings from default.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #16
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Some software, I prefer to be asked every time if I want it to access the internet. I did this with WGA in XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #17
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
Er, Windows firewall DOES automatically block all new software fom acessing the internet til you say "OK" to a popup the first time you run it.

Unless youpve turned it off or changed it's settings from default.
WRONG !

Windows Firewall (WF) does NOT block outgoing connections (by default).

i know, since i have tested several firewalls, WF has several leaks when you are running on a USER-account, and a few more on an ADMIN-account.

yes, it CAN block outgoing connections, but that requires that you create rules regarding what to block and what to allow.

do a search on the forum, this has been posted before, both by myself and others...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #18
hackerman1

W7-Enterprise + WS-2008 (Converted to Workstation)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ridakash View Post
The most AV Intenet secutity can block software to access internet by there Firewall:kaspersky,eset smart security,Avira ...but Windows Firewall doesn't..
WRONG !

ESET has several leaks, it doesnīt block,
in fact it performed so bad that i really couldnīt believe the results,
so i ran all test once again, with the same bad results.

i have tested several firewalls, the only firewall of those i tried that really blocks is Comodo.

i have not tested Kaspersky & Avira, so i donīt know anything about them,
except that both performed bad in the tests by Matousec,
so i didnīt have any interest in using (and testing) them.

the new Kaspersky 2010 has got better results at Matousec, so i might do some tests later.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/pro...ge/results.php
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #19
ridakash

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ridakash View Post
The most AV Intenet secutity can block software to access internet by there Firewall:kaspersky,eset smart security,Avira ...but Windows Firewall doesn't..
WRONG !

ESET has several leaks, it doesnīt block,
in fact it performed so bad that i really couldnīt believe the results,
so i ran all test once again, with the same bad results.

i have tested several firewalls, the only firewall of those i tried that really blocks is Comodo.

i have not tested Kaspersky & Avira, so i donīt know anything about them,
except that both performed bad in the tests by Matousec,
so i didnīt have any interest in using (and testing) them.

the new Kaspersky 2010 has got better results at Matousec, so i might do some tests later.

Results and comments - www.matousec.com
Eset makes problems with connection to the web when you choose advanced mode to configure the firewall..It's poor.
But kaspersky has a strong firwall.
Comodo is best but Av is not (Free),but we can install the firewall standalone and choose a good AV(avast,kaspersky antivirus,Microsoft Security essential(Update is manual!)..
Outpost Firewall is better with an antispyware.
Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #20
lonny

Win7 x64
 
 

Use PeerBlock but make yr own block list and insert all these prog's IP addresses into it. It runs independently and runs from boot up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Block Freeware to access the Internet




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Malware bytes freeware ~ unable to escape trial + just run freeware
Recently i have had to service a friends computer, i have attempted to add MalwareBytes (one of your forums recommended in stickied thread freeware progs) to help keep it clean, however i have been unable to register a free version, and there no option to just run the free version, it says trial at...
Software
Block Modem access ???????
My son always keep looking youtube videos though my wireless modem. So is there any way to block modem for other devices. So that only I can access.:cool:
Network & Sharing
Virus prevents internet access, block antivirus.
Microsoft Security Essentials has been blocked by the virus inducing the firewall. Even if I type virus security into chrome the virus crashes the browser. It gives warnings about the danger hardware damage.
System Security
Is it possible to block network access by PID instead of process name?
I'm using Comodo and whenever I select scvhost.exe and block it, the scvhost.exe gets blocked as well. Extremely annoying because, the PID 1004 is required for my DNS to function... websites won't work right without it unless I type the IP address. looks like some sort of Microsuck phone-home...
Network & Sharing
Block Applcation Access to a Folder
Is it possible to block an individual application's access to a specific folder? Let's say I have a folder called "Water" and and application called "Fire" Can I prevent "Fire" from reading "Water"? Meanwhile, any non-"Fire" application can continue reading "Water" without issue. As per the...
General Discussion
I want to block all access from a computer in the LAN
I want to block all access from, as in completely locking out, a computer in the LAN behind the Internet router that we all share. I don't want that machine to have any access to my Win 7 computer at all, since the user of that machine might going to try hacking into the LAN network. I want to know...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App