Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which antivirus is best for win7

05 Nov 2009   #381
Charles Kane

Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu
 
 

DarkDavil: Did you scan the unrared file with MSE?

And before we have an avalanche - NO AV program is perfect - even the "best" will fail to catch something that another will find.
In this case MSE might catch the problems on executing/activating the file - try using Returnil (poor man's SteadyState)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Nov 2009   #382
hitler517

vista
 
 

Mcafee Total Security
Bitdefender
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #383
MSMVP

win 7
 
 

Avast Home Edition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2009   #384
hance

windows 7 Entreprise x64
 
 

i'm using Avira Premium Security Suite : the reason why ?

Because Avira can deal with some virus et troyjan, blogger from USB stick who can't be found with my ex-best antivirus security : Kaspersky KISS 2010....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2009   #385
zteardrop

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xander View Post
If only the requirements were just that antivirus nukes all comers... however it also has to be light and fast. Include that and many behemoths fail, including Norton in my experience.

After all what's the point of an ultra secure laptop that you can't use because it's constantly being thrashed by anti virus?

Besides most rankings that I've seen place bitdefender at the top and Norton way down in like 5th or 6th. Mind you they don't tend to list freebie anti virus.
Xander,

Guess you haven't used NIS/NAV 2009, 2010. The performance is impeccable. NIS is top notch and in the top 2/3 in any test out there. NO OTHER PRODUCT HAS THAT LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2009   #386
Xander

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zteardrop View Post
Xander,

Guess you haven't used NIS/NAV 2009, 2010. The performance is impeccable. NIS is top notch and in the top 2/3 in any test out there. NO OTHER PRODUCT HAS THAT LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY.
So what kind of resources does it use now?

Oh and just to be sure I wasn't thinking of old information I did a quick google search on top anti virus and norton got either a B grade or 9th place on two top lists I found. It seems that the testers think that Norton is better than before but the customer service is still rubbish. Now personally I've used Norton at work up until I think 2007.. and though I can't actually fault it as an anti virus it decided that it knew best, took over the computer to the point you could do anything without it's permission and then required a new tool to remove it. In fact my sister still has Norton on her laptop, the removal tool won't install and it ate Avast. My theory is, any company which charges more than it's competitors, habitually, should have the decency to produce a product of quality from day one. They failed. In my book they have ground to catch up and this "but we're as god as them" does nothing.

I mean there's little difference in between top anti virus in terms of what it will and won't catch. Most people will go a long while without getting viruses anyway... unless they're pirates or live in facebook or similar. So really with antivirus you should choose one of the top performers but which one depends on personal preference, cost and other such things. Now personally I'm not going to pay more to get Norton and I advise other's the same.

Should Norton produce a nice small, non intrusive package that allows ME to control MY computer (note my computers are there to serve me and never the other way around) and perhaps has side advantages like better firewall configuration or even automated stuff (I used to love systemworks) then I may change my mind but until then they're still the company which leaves registry entries all over the place cause they can.

Grade "Nice attempt but must work harder" C+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #387
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Norton Internet Security 2010
It's very light and doesn't use much memory
Very easy to use
Very effective


Attached Thumbnails
Which antivirus is best for win7-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #388
Lucretius

7 Home Premium x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zteardrop View Post
Xander,

Guess you haven't used NIS/NAV 2009, 2010. The performance is impeccable. NIS is top notch and in the top 2/3 in any test out there. NO OTHER PRODUCT HAS THAT LEVEL OF CONSISTENCY.
So what kind of resources does it use now?

Oh and just to be sure I wasn't thinking of old information I did a quick google search on top anti virus and norton got either a B grade or 9th place on two top lists I found. It seems that the testers think that Norton is better than before but the customer service is still rubbish. Now personally I've used Norton at work up until I think 2007.. and though I can't actually fault it as an anti virus it decided that it knew best, took over the computer to the point you could do anything without it's permission and then required a new tool to remove it. In fact my sister still has Norton on her laptop, the removal tool won't install and it ate Avast. My theory is, any company which charges more than it's competitors, habitually, should have the decency to produce a product of quality from day one. They failed. In my book they have ground to catch up and this "but we're as god as them" does nothing.

I mean there's little difference in between top anti virus in terms of what it will and won't catch. Most people will go a long while without getting viruses anyway... unless they're pirates or live in facebook or similar. So really with antivirus you should choose one of the top performers but which one depends on personal preference, cost and other such things. Now personally I'm not going to pay more to get Norton and I advise other's the same.

Should Norton produce a nice small, non intrusive package that allows ME to control MY computer (note my computers are there to serve me and never the other way around) and perhaps has side advantages like better firewall configuration or even automated stuff (I used to love systemworks) then I may change my mind but until then they're still the company which leaves registry entries all over the place cause they can.

Grade "Nice attempt but must work harder" C+
Have you used the program?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #389
x0wn4g33x

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
my teacher has been testing and i asked him, he mentioned that it was best soo far
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #390
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x0wn4g33x View Post
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
my teacher has been testing and i asked him, he mentioned that it was best soo far
The kaspersky 2010 version is much better than 2009.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which antivirus is best for win7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Avast free antivirus + Win7 firewall ?
I've previously used Avast free antivirus with ZoneAlarm firewall and also with Comodo firewall. I'm currently using Norton Internet Security but was thinking about switching to Avast free antivirus & using the Windows 7 firewall. But I was looking on the Avast forum & it appears people are having...
System Security
avg antivirus skrewed my win7
Hi well, i installed win7. i customized my desktop & all (to show my computer on the desktop for example)... i installed comodo firewall & avg antivirus. & after i restarted my pc all my customization was gone! i got the normal aero theme & all (that i previously canceled)... + the...
Customization
What antivirus for my netbook (Win7) ?
Hey guys, I have a netbook with the standard specs; 1.66GHz, 1Gb ram .. I am looking for an anti-virus that is light on the processor and is effecient aswell as being good for keeping me safe online. Any suggestions; oh forgot to mention i would prefer only free solutions! Thanks, amcc
Software
Is there a free firewall + antivirus for Win7?
I'm a long time Comodo user, but it appears that the firewall has problems running in Win7, does anyone know of a firewall+AV bundle for Win7? Or at least just a firewall. Cheers
System Security
Comodo Antivirus & Firewall with Win7 RC
Good People, Haven't checked yet with the Comodo forum. Does anyone know Comodo's plans for issuiing a Win7 compatible version? Karl
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App