Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which antivirus is best for win7

16 Nov 2009   #411
neoasr

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit OEM 6.1 Build7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is by far the best antivirus software for Windows 7.
And what about the spyware which are more in number than viruses out there? Read my posts above how MSE fails to detect Antispywarebot.

nis 2010 + MB ... just use it.. tension free...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Nov 2009   #412
jav

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rive0108 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Priyank View Post
I was using McAfee from last 1 year in vista & XP it worked fantastic !!

and now it works good in os 7 too...

Tried kasperky but didn't liked it !!

try McAfee guyz !!
McAfee is ineffective, and lacking in heuristic detection capabilities, and will let 3 out of every 4 pieces of new malware onto your computer system. (Heuristic detection is the app's ability to detect new threats for which there is no definition available using advanced real time "smart" file scanning engines- Mcafee is almost 100% dependant on virus/malware definitions. McAfee is good for On-Demand scanning of old/exisiting and known threats, but will not offer adequate protection against the constant barrage of new and emerging threats)

McAfee (with Artemis) only has a 25% detection rate of new malware threats. Thats means with a 1 one week old set of definitions, the app will let 75% of "new threats" onto your system, bypassing the AV security. McAfee without Artemis has an even lower detection rate of malware threats.

Understand the significance of Heuristic detection capabilities- Look at it this way, If a new polymorphic backdoor trojan/Trojan downloader, and/or keylogger was released tomorrow (and they take screenshots nowadays too-e.g., Spy Lantern Keylogger ), that captures your Credit cards, Online bank account and log-in passwords and transmits the data daily to some remote server in Russia (or Nigeria), or a self replicating Virus that has the ability to overwrite Windows directories, documents or emails was released, do you want to have a program that stops it cold, or lets it run amuck on your pc damaging it for a week before a definition for it is released? At that point the damage is done, even if it is then detected and removed you are left with corrupted documents, pictures, files, or even a system that will not boot or crashes constantly, and If you didnt have the foresight to backup or image the pc beforehand, the data is irretrievably lost, and Windows has to be painstakingly reinstalled along with all the programs, etc.


May 2009 AV-Comparative testing:
I got my mcafee security Centre from my bank for free and always update it and use for some time.
So what you recommend me? Should I buy antivirus from another company is the difference so significant?
Or if I use some popular free Antiviruses, are they good enough? (I have never had much believed on those free ones =S )

Will appericate any suggestions.
Thank you for your help.

P.S. and I though McAfee had heuristic scan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #413
sandeep

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jav View Post
I got my mcafee security Centre from my bank for free and always update it and use for some time.
So what you recommend me? Should I buy antivirus from another company is the difference so significant?
Or if I use some popular free Antiviruses, are they good enough? (I have never had much believed on those free ones =S )

Will appericate any suggestions.
Thank you for your help.

P.S. and I though McAfee had heuristic scan
I used to use Kaspersky AV 2010, top notch AV, I am now using Agnitum's Outpost Security Suite as I have a free license from them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Nov 2009   #414
Ex_Brit

Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 10 Pro (all x64)
 
 

McAfee does employ heuristic scanning - part of the Artemis component of VirusScan. As far as detections go I would say it is no better or worse than any other anti-virus application. I always recommend to people that they carry one or two extra anti-spyware applications as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #415
TehWall

Windows 7 32-Bit
 
 

For anyone with common sense and basic knowledge all you need is real time protection from drive-by's. Even trusted sites are getting hijacked. A good free anti-virus will be good, spending money is a waste. Avira and Avast are good.

If your a virus/trojan/rootkit/malware/whatever magnet, KIS 2010 is bullet proof. When properly configured it's almost impossible to get infected.

I personally use Avira Personal Edition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #416
Mags101

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Ok, Ok... a few days ago I posted that Microsoft Security Essentials is a better choice for windows 7 (ofcourse I learned this on Microsoft.com) haha! Anyhow, I installed MSE onto my system & I really don't feel that it is doing the job well to be honest. I have been hearing alot of great things about Vipre AV (especially when installed with Windows 7 64 bit). Plus a great feature that has alot of buzz is that it is light-weight so wont bog down or overload your system. Anyhow, I am removing MSE tonight & installing Vipre. I'll be sure to follow up in week or so here & let everyone know how well it went with Vipre. Adios!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #417
Charles Kane

Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mags101 View Post
I installed MSE onto my system & I really don't feel that it is doing the job well to be honest
Hate to say it - but without further info I'd have to say that Mags comment is absurd. "don't FEEL it's doing the job!" - what does that mean, have you thrown some virus at it, got it to detect and clean malware, is the interface not transparent to you, does it get in the way of your daily computer use?

MSE is not perfect. NO AV is perfect. But all indications from Magazine, tech sites and Independent testing suggest MSE is as good as (or superior) to most of the paid for big name suites. It had very good results in finding and cleaning Malware (better, for example, than Eset-NOD), and it runs for most quiet and has a small footprint. If you interpret that as that it doesn't "feel" as if it's doing the job - then go ahead and spend your money for a fancy interface.

I'd be the last to go with Microsoft just for the name but this time I suspect they got it right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #418
neoasr

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit OEM 6.1 Build7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Charles Kane View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mags101 View Post
I installed MSE onto my system & I really don't feel that it is doing the job well to be honest
Hate to say it - but without further info I'd have to say that Mags comment is absurd. "don't FEEL it's doing the job!" - what does that mean, have you thrown some virus at it, got it to detect and clean malware, is the interface not transparent to you, does it get in the way of your daily computer use?

MSE is not perfect. NO AV is perfect. But all indications from Magazine, tech sites and Independent testing suggest MSE is as good as (or superior) to most of the paid for big name suites. It had very good results in finding and cleaning Malware (better, for example, than Eset-NOD), and it runs for most quiet and has a small footprint. If you interpret that as that it doesn't "feel" as if it's doing the job - then go ahead and spend your money for a fancy interface.

I'd be the last to go with Microsoft just for the name but this time I suspect they got it right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #419
gamepoint

windows 7 professional x64 bit RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TehWall View Post
For anyone with common sense and basic knowledge all you need is real time protection from drive-by's. Even trusted sites are getting hijacked. A good free anti-virus will be good, spending money is a waste. Avira and Avast are good.

If your a virus/trojan/rootkit/malware/whatever magnet, KIS 2010 is bullet proof. When properly configured it's almost impossible to get infected.

I personally use Avira Personal Edition.
i agree...avira personal edition is very good...even better than KAV 2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #420
kbz1960

7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

I use Avast home and as supplements I also use spywareblaster and run scans every couple of weeks with malwarebytes and use to use superantispyware for scans also but I heard it doesn't work with 32 bit W7.

All free programs or the free version. Never have had a virus............... knocking on wood.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which antivirus is best for win7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Avast free antivirus + Win7 firewall ?
I've previously used Avast free antivirus with ZoneAlarm firewall and also with Comodo firewall. I'm currently using Norton Internet Security but was thinking about switching to Avast free antivirus & using the Windows 7 firewall. But I was looking on the Avast forum & it appears people are having...
System Security
avg antivirus skrewed my win7
Hi well, i installed win7. i customized my desktop & all (to show my computer on the desktop for example)... i installed comodo firewall & avg antivirus. & after i restarted my pc all my customization was gone! i got the normal aero theme & all (that i previously canceled)... + the...
Customization
What antivirus for my netbook (Win7) ?
Hey guys, I have a netbook with the standard specs; 1.66GHz, 1Gb ram .. I am looking for an anti-virus that is light on the processor and is effecient aswell as being good for keeping me safe online. Any suggestions; oh forgot to mention i would prefer only free solutions! Thanks, amcc
Software
Is there a free firewall + antivirus for Win7?
I'm a long time Comodo user, but it appears that the firewall has problems running in Win7, does anyone know of a firewall+AV bundle for Win7? Or at least just a firewall. Cheers
System Security
Comodo Antivirus & Firewall with Win7 RC
Good People, Haven't checked yet with the Comodo forum. Does anyone know Comodo's plans for issuiing a Win7 compatible version? Karl
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App