Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's the Best Anti-virus?

12 Jun 2015   #1101
jonnyhillow

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
The latest virus bulletin results shows Avira with the highest RAP percentage score but I'm not really sure what RAP is. Panda has gotten some really good reviews and is supposed to be better than Avast. I got Panda running as an antivirus at the same time as Avast which is my internet security. Avast is pretty good with detecting programs. Like I said, I would always recommend Kaspersky....don't remember why I removed it but I like what I got now.


Wait a minute , you do know that an internet security suite is a complete anti virus solution don't you? If you have an internet security suite by Avast why are you running Panda ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2015   #1102
compwiz02

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyhillow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
The latest virus bulletin results shows Avira with the highest RAP percentage score but I'm not really sure what RAP is. Panda has gotten some really good reviews and is supposed to be better than Avast. I got Panda running as an antivirus at the same time as Avast which is my internet security. Avast is pretty good with detecting programs. Like I said, I would always recommend Kaspersky....don't remember why I removed it but I like what I got now.


Wait a minute , you do know that an internet security suite is a complete anti virus solution don't you? If you have an internet security suite by Avast why are you running Panda ?
Yes, I do know that. I have Panda running as a secondary scanner supplementing Avast. As far as I know, Panda and Avast have no problems running side by side with each other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2015   #1103
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Okay compwiz02 unless you got your mind made up this will help you.

Do Not run 2 active anti virus programs on the same computer at the same time.
You will not be safer and their is a good chance you will be less safe.

The two anti virus programs will argue with each other and use lots of resources.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jun 2015   #1104
jonnyhillow

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyhillow View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
The latest virus bulletin results shows Avira with the highest RAP percentage score but I'm not really sure what RAP is. Panda has gotten some really good reviews and is supposed to be better than Avast. I got Panda running as an antivirus at the same time as Avast which is my internet security. Avast is pretty good with detecting programs. Like I said, I would always recommend Kaspersky....don't remember why I removed it but I like what I got now.


Wait a minute , you do know that an internet security suite is a complete anti virus solution don't you? If you have an internet security suite by Avast why are you running Panda ?
Yes, I do know that. I have Panda running as a secondary scanner supplementing Avast. As far as I know, Panda and Avast have no problems running side by side with each other.


Oh, OK, i thought you had both programs running with real time protection at the same time . I have Kaspersky as my only real time protection (along with M.Bam) but they don't conflict since M.Bam is not a anti virus solution .

I do use Emsisoft and Eset as on demand scanners but those are not active and i only run scans with them from time to time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2015   #1105
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I think I understand now.

Keep one anti virus active on you PC.
Keep Malwarebytes hopefully Premium active.

Remove all other anti virus programs from your computer using their specific online tools.

Just disabling other anti virus programs is not good enough.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2015   #1106
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I use Avast for real time protection. I have for years, also had Avira Antivir installed with the active guard off. It is now just an on demand scanner. I do not have to disable Avast (nor any of my other security) when I scan with it. It is an excellent on demand scanner.

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2015   #1107
compwiz02

Windows 7
 
 

Was looking at my brother's and my dad's computers over the weekend cuz they seem to be loading up real fast. Decided to uninstall both Avast and Panda. Did some research and Bitdefender Total Security 2015 ranks at the top on a few reputable review sites including PCMag for best paid antivirus and internet security so I decided to try it out. Avira ranks first for best free antivirus but I wanna see how well Bitdefender works. And yea, having only one solution works great for speed and overall performance on your PC.

What's the difference between having an active guard and an on-demand scanner?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2015   #1108
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

An active guard is real time protection, to prevent infections. On demand is just a scanner to see if something is already on your system. A second opinion so to speak. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2015   #1109
compwiz02

Windows 7
 
 

So is it good to have an active shield and an on-demand scanner active at the same time or only have the on-demand scanner active when you wanna run a scan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2015   #1110
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
So is it good to have an active shield and an on-demand scanner active at the same time or only have the on-demand scanner active when you wanna run a scan?
An on-demand scanner is not active unless you are running a scan.

I've never heard of an instance where you had to de-activate an active anti-virus app just because you wanted to run an on-demand scanner.

On-demand scanners can typically co-exist with active applications. What you normally want to avoid is two active programs, although certain active programs don't seem to interfere with each other. For instance, Malwarebytes Premium (which is active) rarely causes problems with any standard active anti-virus program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What's the Best Anti-virus?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Possible Memory Leak Virus - Anti-virus detects nothing?
Hello, I am needing some support on what is exactly taking up all the RAM on my brother's PC as after about 8 hours of uptime, 65% of my Physical Memory is being used up with nothing really open. I did some research and found out it was a possible memory leak or virus, so I first tried to run...
Performance & Maintenance
I have a virus and unable to run/download anti-virus software
Hi, This is my first time posting to the forum. I am not that knowledgeable with computers, but can follow basic instructions. My laptop is acting funny--I think I have a virus. However, I am unable to run any anti-malware or anti-virus software. I try to run McAfee and I get an error...
System Security
Test your anti-malware/anti-virus protection with EICAR
As many of you know(quite a few don't) what EICAR is, this is a open poll to see what programs pick it up and what programs fail the basic tests. I am conducting this poll because A-Squared failed to see this on a scan, but MSE picked it up before it could be downloaded. So after you take...
System Security
BSOD 00x50 vipre anti-virus conflicting with new anti-virus
I did a bonehead move of installing PC tools anti-virus before uninstalling vipre on my wife who's out of town. The kids infected it playing flash games. long story short, Her Gateway (win7 home premium) is on a a start-up loop. All I can get to work with a recovery disk is get into the DOS prompt...
BSOD Help and Support
Anti-malware, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware
First of all i would like to apologize if this topic is in wrong category, or it should not even be asked on this site. And second of all, please be patience :) i'm a noob looking for answers :o So whats all about? Well i'm meeting new terms here and i have no idea what they mean and what they do....
System Security
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections)
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections) Source ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App