Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What's the Best Anti-virus?

20 Aug 2015   #1131
3Colors

64-bit Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MoxieMomma View Post
Hi:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 3Colors View Post
I have not used the MBAM because I fear that eliminates any sensitive file system. I know it sounds weird.
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what that means.

If you wish, could you please explain?
Perhaps we can try to set your mind at ease about that concern.


More info about v2.1.8 HERE
Version 2.1.8 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions


Cheers,
This could be an example :

- https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...file-ntdlldll/
- https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...msed/?p=978300


As CCleaner(are different programs I know) you have to know how to use them. With caution.
These programs are more advanced in my opinion that an antivirus.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Aug 2015   #1132
MoxieMomma

OEM Windows 7 Ult (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 3Colors View Post

This could be an example :

- https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...file-ntdlldll/
- https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...msed/?p=978300

As CCleaner(are different programs I know) you have to know how to use them. With caution.
These programs are more advanced in my opinion that an antivirus.
Ah, it seems you refer to a "False Positive" detection.
There is no security program -- anti-virus or anti-malware -- that is 100% free of those.
They are an unfortunate part of life with security software.
I have never used an anti-virus or anti-malware program that did not have one of these, rarely.
The Malwarebytes team works very hard to prevent these and to fix them, when they happen.
And there are ways to configure one's settings to minimize the chance that such a rare occurrence could damage one's system.

As for CCleaner, that is an entirely different type of software application.
It is "cleaning" and "optimization" utility, not a security application.
So I don't know that comparing it with MBAM or any other security program makes too much sense.
OTOH, while it is a good program overall, CCleaner's "Registry Cleaner" -- like others -- can certainly cause its own system damage.
I guess that could be considered analogous to an anti-virus/anti-malware "false positive"?

The bottom line is that there is no known security application that has NOT had a false-positive from time to time.
And ANY software, when used incorrectly, can cause system damage.

It's certainly the user's choice what software to install and run on the computer.
And having a robust, redundant method of data backup and system imaging is always a good plan to help recover from the occasional mishap.

Thank you,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2015   #1133
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

As MoxieMomma has posted no program what ever kind it is will not be perfect all the time.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is no exception.
I have been using Malwarebytes Free/Pro/Premium or years and I can only remember 3 problems.
Malwarebytes took care of those problems is a short time.

I would not go online with a computer without Malwarebytes Premium, anti virus and a firewall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Aug 2015   #1134
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

I use MBAM as Layback Bear does and only found two things that have got past my almost free Kaspersky ($0.035 a day) and well I know I am a pain but this is where to find just about anything now (they have renamed it) Free Windows Desktop Software Security List | Gizmo's Freeware

It contains all forms from real time to whatever.

Plus on pain of repeating myself yet again on seeing a documentary program out here the other night any electronic device form phones to computers to pads can be hacked - there is no answer to what can be done by these people. The program showed an Australian politicians text and phone messages being intercepted by hackers in the US word for word as it happened so I think this thread is really a sort of proxy peace of mind discussion in light of what I saw and heard.

Keep out the spam and rubbish ads etc and just concentrate on what one uses their machine /device for because no one is safe.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2015   #1135
3Colors

64-bit Windows 7 Professional
 
 

But I always had this question. If all viruses that appear are added to the database of each AV. Why there is no global database so that no Antivirus left behind avoiding that one if it detects it and another does not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2015   #1136
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 3Colors View Post
But I always had this question. If all viruses that appear are added to the database of each AV. Why there is no global database so that no Antivirus left behind avoiding that one if it detects it and another does not.
Hmm because at last count 3colours I saw there were at least 50,000 new malwares of differing types put each and every day and there is in my mind no way that any security company can keep up with that, even given that they may have the resources to find them so in actual fact the virus es etc are out and about before they can be detected . It is simply impossible to foresee a piece of malware before it is distributed and by that time the damage is probably done .

Plus it also brings me back to my point of there being no way that anyone can be hacked etc etc whenever those who do that want to. I am not criticizing you or saying you are wrong but if you stop to think about it that is about the long and short of it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2015   #1137
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 3Colors View Post
But I always had this question. If all viruses that appear are added to the database of each AV. Why there is no global database so that no Antivirus left behind avoiding that one if it detects it and another does not.
Here is the problem with what you suggest:
I could start an antivirus company and let other companies do all of the hard/expensive work of detecting each piece of malware. I'll just take the info that those companies put in the global database and use it for my antivirus product. I would need very few employees (if any) to run my antivirus company and I could sell my product for less than those that are paying people to do the hard work. My profit margin would still be more than those with overhead/employees.

Also - you cannot get all of the companies to agree on what malware is. Two companies can have the exact same file and only one of them will classify that file as bad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2015   #1138
3Colors

64-bit Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Hmm because at last count 3colours I saw there were at least 50,000 new malwares of differing types put each and every day and there is in my mind no way that any security company can keep up with that, even given that they may have the resources to find them so in actual fact the virus es etc are out and about before they can be detected . It is simply impossible to foresee a piece of malware before it is distributed and by that time the damage is probably done .

Plus it also brings me back to my point of there being no way that anyone can be hacked etc etc whenever those who do that want to. I am not criticizing you or saying you are wrong but if you stop to think about it that is about the long and short of it.
You're right every minute there out different viruses. I had read that it was possible to steal digital footprint through a photo. There is everything. It is that sometimes I keep wondering why why...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I could start an antivirus company and let other companies do all of the hard/expensive work of detecting each piece of malware. I'll just take the info that those companies put in the global database and use it for my antivirus product. I would need very few employees (if any) to run my antivirus company and I could sell my product for less than those that are paying people to do the hard work. My profit margin would still be more than those with overhead/employees.

Also - you cannot get all of the companies to agree on what malware is. Two companies can have the exact same file and only one of them will classify that file as bad.
Yes, that problem I had it in mind. But that could be solved perhaps a monthly publication in a website that displays the work done by everyone. There one could see who are not helping the project.

Example: antivirus "A" found 20, the "B" 14 and the "C" 3. There you can see that "C" is not contributing to the database and only this copying. Therefore it implied that AV is not taken seriously the job.
It could also solve that with each company appointing one of its employees to work together with others. But first they would be put to a test to see if they are ready.

Two views are good, but will always be justifying his reason. A third or fifth could balance the scales. That's what I think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2015   #1139
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Maybe I've just been in the workforce for too many decades - but I don't see a monthly publication working. If my AV company "C" was really working hard, those 3 samples could represent 30 man-hours of labor. Those 14 samples from company "B" only took 2 man-hours to research. Good/fair/useful metrics are not easy to gather. Just ask any manager.

You might want to read this. I'm not saying that it is true, but it is hard to get companies that are competeing against each other for money to trust each other and play nice together. Google's VirusTotal might be the closest thing to a global database that you will find.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2015   #1140
MoxieMomma

OEM Windows 7 Ult (x64) SP1
 
 

Monthly newsletters or databases would not be helpful in efforts to stay ahead of zero-day and zero-hour threats. As such, AV vendors who push only one database per day are actually behind the curve in this regard.

As far as the recent sensationalized article by 2 disgruntled ex-employees at KL, in the interest of fairness one ought to mention the company's response to it AND the fact that the experimentation/testing described in the article was undertaken precisely to investigate the problem mentioned here in this thread: it is a longstanding problem in the AV sector that Company B adds a given sample to its database (without testing) merely because Company A (which has done the testing) has done so.

While there is significant cooperation among experts & individuals in the computer security world, it remains the case that the many security software vendors do compete for business. So there will never be ONE perfect technology or ONE perfect virus/malware database or ONE perfect software product to suit all computers and all users.

JMHO,

MM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What's the Best Anti-virus?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Possible Memory Leak Virus - Anti-virus detects nothing?
Hello, I am needing some support on what is exactly taking up all the RAM on my brother's PC as after about 8 hours of uptime, 65% of my Physical Memory is being used up with nothing really open. I did some research and found out it was a possible memory leak or virus, so I first tried to run...
Performance & Maintenance
I have a virus and unable to run/download anti-virus software
Hi, This is my first time posting to the forum. I am not that knowledgeable with computers, but can follow basic instructions. My laptop is acting funny--I think I have a virus. However, I am unable to run any anti-malware or anti-virus software. I try to run McAfee and I get an error...
System Security
Test your anti-malware/anti-virus protection with EICAR
As many of you know(quite a few don't) what EICAR is, this is a open poll to see what programs pick it up and what programs fail the basic tests. I am conducting this poll because A-Squared failed to see this on a scan, but MSE picked it up before it could be downloaded. So after you take...
System Security
BSOD 00x50 vipre anti-virus conflicting with new anti-virus
I did a bonehead move of installing PC tools anti-virus before uninstalling vipre on my wife who's out of town. The kids infected it playing flash games. long story short, Her Gateway (win7 home premium) is on a a start-up loop. All I can get to work with a recovery disk is get into the DOS prompt...
BSOD Help and Support
Anti-malware, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware
First of all i would like to apologize if this topic is in wrong category, or it should not even be asked on this site. And second of all, please be patience :) i'm a noob looking for answers :o So whats all about? Well i'm meeting new terms here and i have no idea what they mean and what they do....
System Security
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections)
How to Remove Win 7 Anti-Spyware 2011 (Fake Anti-Virus Infections) Source ...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App