Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft Essentials vs. Norton's 2010

View Poll Results: Microsoft or Norton 2010
Microsoft Essentials 45 72.58%
Norton 2010 17 27.42%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

13 Sep 2010   #51
lior

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I've been using MSE for a few months now and so far so good. No intrusions, scans come back clean (by other vendors), it's very light on resources. Somehow a lot of the anti-virus vendors have led us to believe that we need all these bloated "security suites" and pay for protection every year. I think most people would benefit purely by using common sense as oppose to running all these security programs in the background without any regard as to how they impair their computer's performance.

Microsoft, in my view, struck a good balance between a light program that provides effective protection against viruses and malware. The rest is up to the user by exercising common sense regarding the places they visit and files they download. A bloated security suite may not necessarily protect you any better.

I've been using the Internet since the early 90s and I watched the web developed into a very powerful tool. Along with this development comes the bad. Malware has got more sophisticated and what was once an almost purely Russian export has become global. I watched how programs like Norton, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, even Zonealarm develop from a small anti-virus and firewall tool into these security behemoths. While I think the threat has evolved and so must the tools to fight it, I truly believe things have gotten out of control as all these security vendors are profiting enormously from the paranoia they are feeding to the masses.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Sep 2010   #52
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

With how fast new Malware can be created and spread, many times its already spread & completed its main objective by the time its discovered & definitions can be sent out for it.

For this reason, I think the behavior type AVs (Like Nortons SONAR) really do have a advantage over those that are strictly definition based, since it doesnt need a definition in its base to determine an unknown threat is actually a threat.


But, I do believe MSE has a similar feature, doesn't it? I thought I read it somewhere ....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #53
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
With how fast new Malware can be created and spread, many times its already spread & completed its main objective by the time its discovered & definitions can be sent out for it.

For this reason, I think the behavior type AVs (Like Nortons SONAR) really do have a advantage over those that are strictly definition based, since it doesnt need a definition in its base to determine an unknown threat is actually a threat.


But, I do believe MSE has a similar feature, doesn't it? I thought I read it somewhere ....

Well IMO who should know better how to protect the OS than the CODE WRITER(S). That of course means Microsoft and its agents (if any).

Providing you aren't going bonkers and haven't got a whole zillion of Office computers to protect then I can't see why you would need anything other than MSE.

I'm always supsicious of "Comparatives" testing when using things like AV software as you can't really define "a typical user" when it comes to surfing the web --but for those that DO read that type of stuff MSE comes out pretty well in anycase.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Sep 2010   #54
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Well IMO who should know better how to protect the OS than the CODE WRITER(S). That of course means Microsoft and its agents (if any).

Providing you aren't going bonkers and haven't got a whole zillion of Office computers to protect then I can't see why you would need anything other than MSE.

I'm always supsicious of "Comparatives" testing when using things like AV software as you can't really define "a typical user" when it comes to surfing the web --but for those that DO read that type of stuff MSE comes out pretty well in anycase.

Cheers
jimbo
I tend to agree with Jim. I don't put much stock in the antivirus testing in a lab.

1. It does not measure the real world protection of an antivirus.

2. It is easy to slant/bias the results by manipulating the methodology or by the methodology chosen.

3. MS is the only one with access to the core codes of Windows OS's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #55
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

For me, personally I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. Considering both products catch over 95%, and I'm a pretty safe user who doesn't put myself into risky situations...a few percentage points simply don't make it or break it for me. Scanning speeds for me personally are nearly irrelevant as I'm running on an SSD which is very fast and I have very little installed...so my MSE quick scans finish in under 2 minutes.

So, for me, no reason to use anything other than MSE... Everybody will feel different or have different experiences.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #56
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

I use both and I cannot have One without the Other So I voted for MSE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #57
neeraj

Windows 8 CP x64
 
 

i think MSE is the best..

as compared to NIS2010..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2010   #58
malexous

Arch Linux 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
I tend to agree with Jim. I don't put much stock in the antivirus testing in a lab.

1. It does not measure the real world protection of an antivirus.

2. It is easy to slant/bias the results by manipulating the methodology or by the methodology chosen.

3. MS is the only one with access to the core codes of Windows OS's.
1. More and more "real-world" tests have been coming out recently.

2. That's what AMTSO is for.

3. What advantage does that give?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft Essentials vs. Norton's 2010




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Essentials (Not Microsoft Essentials) After clean install
So I finally have all my drivers installed after doing a clean install of Windows 7. Now I need to know the Essentials that I basically have to need to run some programs. Because I can't install Skype or Snag It or anything really like that, I keep getting erros. This is all I have installed so far...
Software
Norton 2010 got me infected
FYI - I was using Norton IS 2010 and today I used another security product since I was having a lot of trouble with my license with Norton. KIS 2011 found at least 5 Trojans, Exploits, Viruses, etc. that Norton never told me about in past scans done with it. :( I couldn't believe it and still...
System Security
Norton Internet Security 2010
Windows tells me that I have no security software installed, but I have NIS 2010 installed and running ok... How do I make Windows 7 recognise NIS?
System Security
Windows 7 with Norton 2010 & Malwarebytes ?
For starters do you think both of those would be good enough for security ? Now on to my issue.. currently I'm trying to download this game CABAL Online... It's a pretty decent free 2 play with the option of buying cash shop items but when ever I finish download, it appears that Norton cannot...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App