Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can remove jump drive Btlocker key before OS boots?

30 Apr 2010   #1
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 
Can remove jump drive Btlocker key before OS boots?

I use Bitlocker on my notebook and I use a jump drive to unlock it. Can I remove the jump drive right after it unlocks my system but just before the OS boots? I don't like waiting till the OS boots then ejecting the jump drive.


Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Apr 2010   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

The OS has to load before Bitlocker is satisfied with the presence of your usb "key". Essentially, I don't think it is quite possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #3
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
The OS has to load before Bitlocker is satisfied with the presence of your usb "key". Essentially, I don't think it is quite possible.
hmmm,interesting. I tried removing the key after it loaded and just before the OS start screen loaded before the desktop loaded. It loaded as normal and the files on my key were fine when I checked em later.

Not sure what this means, but maybe it's ok.

Thanks for your two cents anyway
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2010   #4
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
The OS has to load before Bitlocker is satisfied with the presence of your usb "key". Essentially, I don't think it is quite possible.
hmmm,interesting. I tried removing the key after it loaded and just before the OS start screen loaded before the desktop loaded. It loaded as normal and the files on my key were fine when I checked em later.

Not sure what this means, but maybe it's ok.

Thanks for your two cents anyway
Since I don't have bitlocker support on my notebook, I can't say this for sure but I believe it's more to do with the tpm hardware you have.

Again, I might be totally blowing smoke out my ass, too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #5
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
The OS has to load before Bitlocker is satisfied with the presence of your usb "key". Essentially, I don't think it is quite possible.
hmmm,interesting. I tried removing the key after it loaded and just before the OS start screen loaded before the desktop loaded. It loaded as normal and the files on my key were fine when I checked em later.

Not sure what this means, but maybe it's ok.

Thanks for your two cents anyway
Since I don't have bitlocker support on my notebook, I can't say this for sure but I believe it's more to do with the tpm hardware you have.

Again, I might be totally blowing smoke out my ass, too.
ya I don't have TPM hardware which is why I am using the jump drive as a "key"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #6
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post

hmmm,interesting. I tried removing the key after it loaded and just before the OS start screen loaded before the desktop loaded. It loaded as normal and the files on my key were fine when I checked em later.

Not sure what this means, but maybe it's ok.

Thanks for your two cents anyway
Since I don't have bitlocker support on my notebook, I can't say this for sure but I believe it's more to do with the tpm hardware you have.

Again, I might be totally blowing smoke out my ass, too.
ya I don't have TPM hardware which is why I am using the jump drive as a "key"
Well I think we both learned today that the bitlocker check runs first thing before anything appears on screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #7
blakenowazdi

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blakenowazdi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jelyman View Post

Since I don't have bitlocker support on my notebook, I can't say this for sure but I believe it's more to do with the tpm hardware you have.

Again, I might be totally blowing smoke out my ass, too.
ya I don't have TPM hardware which is why I am using the jump drive as a "key"
Well I think we both learned today that the bitlocker check runs first thing before anything appears on screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can remove jump drive Btlocker key before OS boots?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Boot Drive Only Successfully Boots with Second Hard Drive
Although my Disk 0 (see attached Computer Management jpg) displays itself as the boot drive, it will not boot up alone. I must power up a second drive (labeled Disk 1) to view Disk 0. I understand the need to use the BIOS to point to the Boot Drive and Boot Priority, and have done this each time. ...
General Discussion
Install multiple iso to one jump drive.
Is there anyway to make a bootable jump drive with all windows os on it? I need one for work. Everything I have found will only let me do one OS. I need Vista 32 and 64bit, 7 32 and 64 bit, and XP Pro. If anyone know please let me know cause I'm at a loss.
Installation & Setup
Will I always need to use my jump drive to boot my pc?
I don't have a TPM on my notebook so I had to disable it if I wanted to use bitlocker. It is saving a key file to my jump drive in order to use bitlocker on my main notebook HDD. Does this mean that each and every time I boot my computer I will need to plug in the thumb drive? If so, that kinda...
Software
Developing for the Windows 7 Taskbar Jump into Jump L
More...
News
Developing for the Windows 7 Taskbar Jump into Jump L
More...
News
Developing for the Windows 7 Taskbar Jump into Jump L
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App