Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virus reported in $recycle.bin folder

07 Jun 2010   #1
buggaby

Windows 7
 
 
Virus reported in $recycle.bin folder

I just scanned my computer and was told I have a virus in the "\$recycle.bin" folder. When I try to delete the file within the anti-virus software, it says that the file cannot be found. When I scan that folder it says there is more than 350mB in it, but when I navigate there directly, nothing appears.

I have the folder options selected so I can see hidden folders.
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.
My anti-virus program is the free edition of avast.
The reported virus is "WMA:Wimad [Drp]" (but there aren't any music files at that location).
The reported file is an avi file, but with a seemingly random name of letters, numbers, and symbols.

What is this folder and is it a real virus threat?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jun 2010   #2
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Hi there, scan your computer using Hitman Pro. If there's a virus, it must find it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #3
buggaby

Windows 7
 
 

Ok, so I scanned it with hitman pro and there were no hits. I watched as it scanned, and it doesn't seem to have tested much on my D drive, which is where my $recycle.bin folder resides. What does this mean about that "virus" found by Avast? And what the heck is the $recycle.bin folder?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2010   #4
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by buggaby View Post
Ok, so I scanned it with hitman pro and there were no hits. I watched as it scanned, and it doesn't seem to have tested much on my D drive, which is where my $recycle.bin folder resides. What does this mean about that "virus" found by Avast? And what the heck is the $recycle.bin folder?
Well, hitman pro scans only the c drive for active malware.
Try scanning with malware bytes anti malware and do a full scan of D drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #5
buggaby

Windows 7
 
 

No hits with malwarebytes. I guess that means it's clean, right? So, what is that folder Avast keeps referencing? I can't even find what it's used for. I'm pretty confident that there is no problem, but now I'm just curious. If anyone knows, I would be happy to hear. Otherwise, I'll just be confident that my computer is virus free... for now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #6
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Buggaby,

You might see if doing the tutorial below to delete the $RECYCLE.BIN folder on each hard drive to reset it may be able to help get rid of this.

Recycle Bin Corrupted - Cannot Delete File or Folder - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #7
Adrian

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by buggaby View Post
I just scanned my computer and was told I have a virus in the "\$recycle.bin" folder. When I try to delete the file within the anti-virus software, it says that the file cannot be found. When I scan that folder it says there is more than 350mB in it, but when I navigate there directly, nothing appears.

I have the folder options selected so I can see hidden folders.
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.
My anti-virus program is the free edition of avast.
The reported virus is "WMA:Wimad [Drp]" (but there aren't any music files at that location).
The reported file is an avi file, but with a seemingly random name of letters, numbers, and symbols.

What is this folder and is it a real virus threat?
Welcome to Windows 7 SUpport.
Are you able to describe the issue? When/What/How?
Are you seeing any performance issues?
It is possible Avast is reporting a false positive.
I will further research.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by buggaby View Post
No hits with malwarebytes. I guess that means it's clean, right? So, what is that folder Avast keeps referencing? I can't even find what it's used for. I'm pretty confident that there is no problem, but now I'm just curious. If anyone knows, I would be happy to hear. Otherwise, I'll just be confident that my computer is virus free... for now
Good morning, please review the contents of the following link from the AVAST FORUM: WMA Wimad[Drp]



Follow this link to remove the virus: WMA:Wimad[Drp] : Virus Solution and Removal

Here is also a link for Malaware bytes, a gratis malware scanner that has shown good results: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes

Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Virus reported in $recycle.bin folder




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
$Recycle.bin virus?
I saw these folders for the first time while choosing folders for a custom scan on Malwarebytes, they still only show up there, not while looking normally. I thought the folder was weird so I did some googling and found out it might be a virus? I did a scan on Malwarebytes and Avast but they didn't...
System Security
Damaged data on $Recycle.bin folder in an external HD caused by virus
Hello everyone. I recently bought a 1T Transcend StoreJet External HD. After doing a reformat and installing a USB Virus Scan V.2.43 (Full Version) on my laptop, a window appeared saying in essence that "your data in folder $Recycle.bin have been damaged by virus. You can recover the data...
General Discussion
Virus on Hard Drive : \$Recycle.Bin
I have a Westend Passport 1TB Hard drive which i gave it to a friend to share some stuff. When I tried to open it i could only see 1 single folder in the hard drive and it with this name $Recycle.Bin. When i try to scan it all the folders and data's are seen in the scanning scree, but there are no...
System Security
rundll32.exe and virus on $recycle.bin
My brother downloaded a virus yesterday. It was now deleted in both C: and recycle bin. I run a smart scan using my antivirus. And it found 4 virus on $Recycle.bin. Also, on the task manager, on the processes tab, there is a foreign process called rundll32.exe. Ending this process does nothing I...
System Security
Virus on C:\$Recycle.Bin
Hello! I run an In-Depth scan on my laptop using my ESET Smart Security. And it found suspicious object in . The full path for the virus is: C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-2700874334-3120927317-1481833869-1000\$REAV2RD\NERO20131016143800644\ISSetupPrerequisites\opencandy\OCSetupHlp.dll - Win32/OpenCandy...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App