Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: is it bad to turn off user account control?

18 Jun 2010   #11
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I agree with leaving UAC on and that is the way that I use my computer. The thing with UAC is that I want to know when an application thinks it needs to elevate to admin. Regardless of how careful I am, it's always possible that an application might do something shady and without UAC..I'd have less ability to know about it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jun 2010   #12
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I'm guessing that AV protection is a factor in all this. I know from experience that my AV will alert me and request input if any program attempts something even remotely suspicious, admin privileges or not. If you don't have something that intense ... yeah turning UAC off could be dangerous.

I personally have it on. The one person I know that has it turned off only installs programs from trusted companies (like MS, Adobe, Apple ... companies you know are safe).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #13
24c

Win7 x64 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Turning off UAC and running as admin are just not a smart thing to do.
Regardless of how safe you think you are when running Your system, blah blah blah.

It's just my opinion, yeah, but it's the right one.
Your opinion may be right for you, it's not so right for me.
I turned UAC off in the 1st Vista beta and have not had it on since, never a problem.
My machine.......my opinion rules.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2010   #14
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I wouldn't suggest turning UAC off to anyone. But then, it is do as I say, not what I do for many things. I have other levels of security to alert me of programs seeking access. processes, etc. But the average Joe does not. But I bet that same Joe just clicks yes whenever it pops up, and complains about windows! A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #15
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I wouldn't suggest turning UAC off to anyone. But then, it is do as I say, not what I do for many things. I have other levels of security to alert me of programs seeking access. processes, etc. But the average Joe does not. But I bet that same Joe just clicks yes whenever it pops up, and complains about windows! A Guy
Exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #16
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I wouldn't suggest turning UAC off to anyone. But then, it is do as I say, not what I do for many things. I have other levels of security to alert me of programs seeking access. processes, etc. But the average Joe does not. But I bet that same Joe just clicks yes whenever it pops up, and complains about windows! A Guy
Exactly.
Agreed. Just by looking at this topic, one can easily conclude that neither "UAC on" nor "UAC off" is right for everyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #17
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

its ok to shut this off if you have a decent internet security installed (kaspersky for me) when i download programs i scan it before i install , always a good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #18
Richardc269

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
 
 

I left my UAC on. I don't get bothered if it keeps asking me to run the program. XP did not do that (I didn't really mind that either). Then Vista comes along, and the UAC is a little more counter-productive (from what I was told) than it was helpful. But with Windows 7, it's just a yes or no question, and that's all there is to it. So far, I don't really have anything against Windows 7 (except for the original Start-menu it has).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #19
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Richardc269 View Post
I left my UAC on. I don't get bothered if it keeps asking me to run the program. XP did not do that (I didn't really mind that either). Then Vista comes along, and the UAC is a little more counter-productive (from what I was told) than it was helpful. But with Windows 7, it's just a yes or no question, and that's all there is to it. So far, I don't really have anything against Windows 7 (except for the original Start-menu it has).
The UAC prompt is the same in Vista and 7, the only changes are visual. The 7 UAC just gives the user more control over it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #20
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amir57 View Post
hi i have window 7 ultimate 32 bit edition and i was wondering if it is bad to turn off user account control the uac settings because every time i try to open a program it keeps telling me do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer? its really annoying and kinda make my programs slow when i want to open them if it is not bad to turn it off can some one please tell me how to turn it off thanks
If you have a program that is triggering UAC every time you run it, something isn't right with your system or with that software. I do not advise turning UAC off as it is a protection for you. You can turn it down slightly, but I would not turn it off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 is it bad to turn off user account control?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to turn User Account Control setting to off?
How to turn User Account Control setting to off?
System Security
How do i control a user account?
Hi, I have many people using my computer and I want to stop them from being on my account. What I mean by this is,that I want to set up an account for everyone else to use with the following control: 1. I (as an administrator) get to control password creation, account pictures and all...
General Discussion
How To Turn Off User Account Control (UAC) For A Specific Application
How To Turn Off User Account Control (UAC) For A Specific Application i am using windows 7 and mcafee anti-virus i m geting tat question every time i use it....it s irritating!!!!
System Security
user account control
hey guys, everytime i try to open a application called steam this appears... http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8574/werid.png i know this appears when something is going to install or change something but is there any way the user account control can still work but steam is an exception? thank...
System Security
User Account Control
Can I Disable User Account Control (UAC) for one Windows 7 application or program?
System Security
User Account Control
GM all, Does anyone know how you add a publisher so you stop getting the User Account Control dialog popup's? Thanking you in advance, Cliff
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App