Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which is the best?

22 Jul 2010   #11
Grimmjow

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

My opinion for the best AV is:
Imaging with free Macrium
(doesn't have to be macrium)

After you'll do that, use something that is recommended from the majority of power users around, usually a combo. Example: MSE+Comodo firewall+Malwarebytes+SAS+asquared (real time+on demand) plus you can use something like hosts file, winpatrol etc. If you use FF nice ad-dons are noscript and flashblock plus, and of course, use common sense to stay protected while surfing. That would be the general advice that works just fine for most of the users.
cheers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jul 2010   #12
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I could readily agree with "common sense" as far as browsing habits. Yet with the MS SE on the Bing search results in one instance saw the first site at the top place a trojan on the system when not having the former av program's(free version) IE security toolbar enabled.

What does that say for the SE? It did detect once on but "did not" prevent it from getting on showing the need again for multiple layers. You can name all the programs you want but don't be fooled assuming any one program is the best for that type since something will get past that while not another.

The best advice is having the strongest defense in order to provide the best offense against the various types of malwares that haven't even been written yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #13
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I use Avast and Avira as an on demand scanner. I have layers of protection. Tried to download the trojan simulator, and even disabling each program as it detected it, I never was allowed to download it, lol. If it gets past the front line, it gets tackled by the back line

Trojan Simulator

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2010   #14
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

I tried the trojan simulator. I've used IZArc for most compressed folders for well over a year. IZArc wouldn't let me run the installer and MSE (2.0 beta) responded at the same time. I'm happy to know IZArc is trying to protect me from being stupid on top of everything else I have to keep me safe.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #15
merkat106

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1
 
 

Used both, had better results from Norton.

My experience:
Norton IS (had about 2 years/2 versions) = no viruses, no malware trouble
MSE (temporary usage) = got several viruses that trashed 7

Niether are memory hogs - or bloated. Norton that was out 3+ years ago was bloated & inefficient, but the software has been rewritten.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #16
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

NIS uses less resources than MSE, 10-20MB compared to 45-60MB MSE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merkat106 View Post
Used both, had better results from Norton.

My experience:
Norton IS (had about 2 years/2 versions) = no viruses, no malware trouble
MSE (temporary usage) = got several viruses that trashed 7

Niether are memory hogs - or bloated. Norton that was out 3+ years ago was bloated & inefficient, but the software has been rewritten.
I had a similar experience. MSE is not watertight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #18
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merkat106 View Post
Used both, had better results from Norton.

My experience:
Norton IS (had about 2 years/2 versions) = no viruses, no malware trouble
MSE (temporary usage) = got several viruses that trashed 7

Niether are memory hogs - or bloated. Norton that was out 3+ years ago was bloated & inefficient, but the software has been rewritten.
I had a similar experience. MSE is not watertight.
Which is the prime reason to approach security in a layered approach .... no one app will catch it all ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #19
BlueBear

Windows 7 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
that graph made me rethink my security software choice, was a firm believer in Eset products but will switch soon to Avira, thanks for posting that graph
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
that graph made me rethink my security software choice, was a firm believer in Eset products but will switch soon to Avira, thanks for posting that graph
Eset is still a good choice though. And as Tews says, no AV program is perfect. My security strategy is built around imaging with free Macrium. Then I am sure I can bail myself out at any point in time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which is the best?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App