Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which is the best?

23 Jul 2010   #21
chubalz

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I think MSE uses less resources, integrates well with windows, isn't intrusive, and, oh year, it's free

A Guy
I agree with all points. Microsoft has really made paid security software rather moot these days.
The working set of MSE is rather large. NIS 2010 is much smaller. It may not matter, but it is a point to retain.
In the professional AV comparisons, NIS2010 gets much higher marks than MSE. At least in the ones I have seen. See example below - NIS2010 is under Symantec.
I use both (on different systems). I never had trouble with NIS, but some with MSE.


The graph is dated on February

I do believe on 5months updating Virus definition will change the result.

I have high expectations on MSE

BTW! Ill vote for MSE.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Jul 2010   #22
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
The graph is dated on February
True. But that's the one I had handy. More recent reports are not much different. I use MSE myself on a couple of systems. But I also caught some malware (3 times) that it did not detect. Fortunately I always have yesterday's image where I can go back to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #23
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by merkat106 View Post
Used both, had better results from Norton.

My experience:
Norton IS (had about 2 years/2 versions) = no viruses, no malware trouble
MSE (temporary usage) = got several viruses that trashed 7

Niether are memory hogs - or bloated. Norton that was out 3+ years ago was bloated & inefficient, but the software has been rewritten.
What are you doing to warrant viruses? You only get them if you install illegal software (keygens, cracks, etc) and don't browse legitimate websites. Blame yourself for those viruses, not MSE. I haven't had an infection yet and I have been using it since it came out nearly a year ago.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
NIS uses less resources than MSE, 10-20MB compared to 45-60MB MSE
That's funny because msseces.exe is using a whopping 4,624KB physical memory on my system right now. I'd say that's extremely light weight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2010   #24
malexous

Arch Linux 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
What are you doing to warrant viruses? You only get them if you install illegal software (keygens, cracks, etc) and don't browse legitimate websites. Blame yourself for those viruses, not MSE. I haven't had an infection yet and I have been using it since it came out nearly a year ago.
Hacked websites and malicious ads can serve you malware.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
That's funny because msseces.exe is using a whopping 4,624KB physical memory on my system right now. I'd say that's extremely light weight.
MSE has two processes.

Edit: MsMpEng.exe belongs to MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #25
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

My MsMpEng.exe shows 65.5MBs right now. But you have to click "Show processes from all users" in TM to see it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #26
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Altogether MSE is using about 80MB on my computer. If a 80MB program is too much for your computer to handle, its time to start shopping for more ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #27
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Altogether MSE is using about 80MB on my computer. If a 80MB program is too much for your computer to handle, its time to start shopping for more ram.
As I said in my original post: "it may not matter". It is just a point to note. My systems all have 3 and 4GBs of RAM. For me it does not matter. But for someone who runs on 1GB of RAM, it may matter. And some of the older systems are not all upgradeable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #28
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

My dad has MSE on his computer which has 512MB 333MHz RAM and his computer runs faster than it did with any other AV program we he tried out. To be far its WinXP not 7. I guess it also depends on what you do.

I also doubt RAM usuage is all that matters. According to that chart McAfee uses less resorces, but we've had it on all three of our current computers and all three ran slow as dirt with it. When using AVG or MSE the computers are several times faster.

EDIT: Well, my moms computer wasn't slow as dirt but it is still slightly faster with MSE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #29
JonM33

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malexous View Post
MSE has two processes.

Edit: MsMpEng.exe belongs to MSE.
Ah, yes. 72,104KB for that one. I didn't realize that but I have 4GB RAM anyway.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
As I said in my original post: "it may not matter". It is just a point to note. My systems all have 3 and 4GBs of RAM. For me it does not matter. But for someone who runs on 1GB of RAM, it may matter. And some of the older systems are not all upgradeable.
I have a Windows XP SP3 test VM set with 512MB memory and it's not slow at all running MSE Beta.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #30
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
I have a Windows XP SP3 test VM set with 512MB memory and it's not slow at all running MSE Beta.
So in VM and on a real PC (although my dad has the stable 1.0 release) with 512MB ram, it doesn't slow either down. So what is the problem with it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which is the best?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App