Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: McAfee and MSE?

26 Jul 2010   #41
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thathagat View Post
well.........with McAfee your pc cannot be infected....why?.... read on
1.McAfee will make it so slow that let alone malware you will find difficult to run normal programmes.
2.McAfee will hog all your RAM leaving no place for bots/virus/trojans to cram.
3.With McAfee installed infections find it embarrassing to infect...because there is nothing new to do

so......install the other M -MSE and give your pc a life....fast...secure and safe

disclaimer: the statement above is nothing but a light hearted buffoonery on my part
Howdy thathagat,
I was worried and was going to say my experience with McAfee does not mirror your list. Then I saw the disclaimer. Thanks for the levity and info.
glennc
Well, McAfee had been the only one to catch the "bredolab" password stealer Trojan on my computer....

Mse did well his job too (catched some obvious one) on another computer. i did only install it briefly on my actual, so can't tell much but was obvious the scan engine messed up the ressources.

I'm not taking full cause for McAfee (far from it)...because might test another after this year.

Tested version 2009 five month and was just Ok, and now on version 2010, looks a little smoothly scan and Av engine doesn't taking any ressources appart during the daily updates. Updates comes about 3 or 4 times during the day for a 40 seconds installation.

I've been a little tricky with them and my credit-card, because i knew it will end-up before the full year subscription!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jul 2010   #42
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hello Borg 386,
Thanks for adding your experience to the discussion. I am in a similar position regarding McAfee. I have standalone scanner AntiMalware, and a resident program called Threatfire. I have not heard anyone mention it, but I and the friend who suggested it seem to be having success. It is specifically designed small and lightweight and to complement your existing protection, rather than be the sole protection. I have had it catch changes, and immediately afterwards McAfee signals the catch. I am pretty sure I'm safe. I appreciate you joining the discussion.
glennc
Threatfire is a behavior based program and I have tried it. A lot of other AV programs have included behavior based units in their newer releases so Threatfire is not as relevant. I now use WinPatrol which is also a behavior based program and I like it better than Threatfire.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #43
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thathagat View Post
well.........with McAfee your pc cannot be infected....why?.... read on
1.McAfee will make it so slow that let alone malware you will find difficult to run normal programmes.
2.McAfee will hog all your RAM leaving no place for bots/virus/trojans to cram.
3.With McAfee installed infections find it embarrassing to infect...because there is nothing new to do

so......install the other M -MSE and give your pc a life....fast...secure and safe

disclaimer: the statement above is nothing but a light hearted buffoonery on my part
Howdy thathagat,
I was worried and was going to say my experience with McAfee does not mirror your list. Then I saw the disclaimer. Thanks for the levity and info.
glennc
Well, McAfee had been the only one to catch the "bredolab" password stealer Trojan on my computer....

Mse did well his job too (catched some obvious one) on another computer. i did only install it briefly on my actual, so can't tell much but was obvious the scan engine messed up the ressources.

I'm not taking full cause for McAfee (far from it)...because might test another after this year.

Tested version 2009 five month and was just Ok, and now on version 2010, looks a little smoothly scan and Av engine doesn't taking any ressources appart during the daily updates. Updates comes about 3 or 4 times during the day for a 40 seconds installation.

I've been a little tricky with them and my credit-card, because i knew it will end-up before the full year subscription!!
Hey NoN,
You've given me more confidence that McAfee will do a fairly up to date job. As I am stuck, I am appreciative. I seem to try different things, which is a reason that Windows 7 has been such a chore. Never seem to be satisfied and as I wasn't paying for it I was o.k. Like I said before, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I guess everyone should, none of us are truly safe completely and finally. We come close.
Take it easy .
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2010   #44
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hello Borg 386,
Thanks for adding your experience to the discussion. I am in a similar position regarding McAfee. I have standalone scanner AntiMalware, and a resident program called Threatfire. I have not heard anyone mention it, but I and the friend who suggested it seem to be having success. It is specifically designed small and lightweight and to complement your existing protection, rather than be the sole protection. I have had it catch changes, and immediately afterwards McAfee signals the catch. I am pretty sure I'm safe. I appreciate you joining the discussion.
glennc
Threatfire is a behavior based program and I have tried it. A lot of other AV programs have included behavior based units in their newer releases so Threatfire is not as relevant. I now use WinPatrol which is also a behavior based program and I like it better than Threatfire.

Jim
Hey Phone Man,
Thanks for explaining the concept. I'm happy with it and believe it helps to a degree. It is not surprising that the idea is incorporated in other software.
I am personally getting confused with what a firewall is supposed to stop, what an AV is supposed to stop and what Anti Malware is supposed to stop. Wish they would get it all in one package. I believe that is what McAfee is attempting but I still feel the need for seperate malware detection. Oh well, computers, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.
Appreciate the explanation.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #45
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hey Phone Man,
Thanks for explaining the concept. I'm happy with it and believe it helps to a degree. It is not surprising that the idea is incorporated in other software.
I am personally getting confused with what a firewall is supposed to stop, what an AV is supposed to stop and what Anti Malware is supposed to stop. Wish they would get it all in one package. I believe that is what McAfee is attempting but I still feel the need for seperate malware detection. Oh well, computers, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.
Appreciate the explanation.
glennc
I'll explain it, as I understand it. Malware is short for malicious software, and is usually used as a catch-all term for all undesirable, hostile, intrusive, or annoying software. A virus is a particular type of malware. Anti-viruses are often made to just stop viruses and similar software, but sometimes (in the case of McAfee and Nortan anti-virus) the word virus is used as a synonym for malware. Anti-malware programs are always for all types of malware. Firewalls are made to prevent hacking. They keep certain programs or people from accessing your computer or making changes on it. Some people are foolish enough to keep all their banking info and other personal info on their computer and not have any firewall, even turning windows firewall off. This makes it where anyone could connect to there network or directly to there computer, and make copies of all that information. Some downloadable software also makes copies of these files and sends them to other people.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #46
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hey Phone Man,
Thanks for explaining the concept. I'm happy with it and believe it helps to a degree. It is not surprising that the idea is incorporated in other software.
I am personally getting confused with what a firewall is supposed to stop, what an AV is supposed to stop and what Anti Malware is supposed to stop. Wish they would get it all in one package. I believe that is what McAfee is attempting but I still feel the need for seperate malware detection. Oh well, computers, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.
Appreciate the explanation.
glennc
I'll explain it, as I understand it. Malware is short for malicious software, and is usually used as a catch-all term for all undesirable, hostile, intrusive, or annoying software. A virus is a particular type of malware. Anti-viruses are often made to just stop viruses and similar software, but sometimes (in the case of McAfee and Nortan anti-virus) the word virus is used as a synonym for malware. Anti-malware programs are always for all types of malware. Firewalls are made to prevent hacking. They keep certain programs or people from accessing your computer or making changes on it. Some people are foolish enough to keep all their banking info and other personal info on their computer and not have any firewall, even turning windows firewall off. This makes it where anyone could connect to there network or directly to there computer, and make copies of all that information. Some downloadable software also makes copies of these files and sends them to other people.
Petey7,
Your clarification seems to fit what I was guessing at. Thanks for it. It is just confusing. I would think it is a marketing ploy. So Norton Antivirus, a current version would scan for viruses and any malware, am I correct in my interpretation?
Take care dude!
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #47
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Yes, it is made to detect all Malware. They just use the term virus because more people are familiar with the term.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2010   #48
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Cool, certainly clearer now.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2010   #49
Borg 386

Win 7 32 Home Premium, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1, Win 10
 
 

I'll go ahead and put this link up. If you want to run a free Symantec online scan on your system, you can do so from here.

You will be prompted to d/l a program that will run independently.

The program will download, run the scan on your entire system with the latest virus/malware definitions, then give you the result. There's also a Security scan which is also free.

NOTE - in order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled.

( I thought they would have fixed that and allowed other browsers by now...I guess we know who's sleeping with MS)

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...&auth_status=0

Quote:
You've given me more confidence that McAfee will do a fairly up to date job.
I still have McAfee on the system because every layer of protection you can get helps nowadays.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2010   #50
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Thanks Borg 386,
I recall using the site in the past, but forgot about it. Will give it a try and see how I stand. Cool Dude
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 McAfee and MSE?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
John McAfee hates McAfee !!!
Guys Thought this would bring in some much needed laugh :D bKgf5PaBzyg p.s let me know if this isn't appropriate .. will delete the post !!
Chillout Room
Getting rid of McAfee
I used IObit Uninstaller v2.1 to uninstall McAfee AVplus and Security Scan Plus from my computer. I was wondering if this would totally remove these programs? Also can anyone recommend good antivirus software that will not interfere with IObit Malware Fighter Pro? Thanks for any help.:)
Software
Mcafee over MSE
Someone told me today that I should use the Mcafee Security Suite instead of MSE? What do yall think? I also use malwarebytes and I was wondering if I need to download another spyware program or if MSE and malwarebytes also do that? Thanks
System Security
Mcafee & 7
Did they work out the bugs? I remember a year ago mcafee didn't jib with w7. IE: Wasn't compatible .
Software
mcafee and win 7
when i log into my windows 7 computer mcafee tells me my computer is not protected, i click fix and nothing happens. my version of mcafee is free from comcast as a subscriber. anyone encountering this problem?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App