Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: McAfee and MSE?

28 Jul 2010   #51
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I've been running MSE since it came out and have had no problems at all. I have this running constantly along with Windows Firewall.
One a week I run a MalwareBytes scan and then a SuperAntiSpyware scan. These usually come up with some adware cookies but nothing serious.
About once a month I run Sophos Anti Rootkit. This will usually show a few things but if I click on them I am advised not to remove them as they present no threat. (?)
Touch wood I've had no problems since adopting this routine.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jul 2010   #52
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hello johnwillyums,
Thanks for adding to the discussion. A friend of mine swears by Sophos and I know a few County School systems use the Sophos products. No personal experience.
Take care.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #53
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post

Hey Phone Man,
Thanks for explaining the concept. I'm happy with it and believe it helps to a degree. It is not surprising that the idea is incorporated in other software.
I am personally getting confused with what a firewall is supposed to stop, what an AV is supposed to stop and what Anti Malware is supposed to stop. Wish they would get it all in one package. I believe that is what McAfee is attempting but I still feel the need for seperate malware detection. Oh well, computers, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.
Appreciate the explanation.
glennc
Some have been already explain to you.

But one thing in McAfee is that this software override the native Windows 7 firewall and you'll have to go in the McAfee "Firewall Parameters" to find some tricks and boxes to check, to be better protected.

You can aswell slightly parameter the Windows Firewall rules behavior in Control Panel=>Windows Firewall=>Advanced Parameters


Attached Images
McAfee and MSE?-capture.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2010   #54
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hello Non,
Bon appremedie, I think. Can't read a single word of your snip But I get the idea. Being a meathead or independent spirit, depending on your point of view, I am currently running MSE + Firewall + McAfee Security Suite. Got to be protected. Have seen no unusual activity as yet. As a standalone I ran ASquared and no problems.
Thanks for the snip, I'll look into McAfee to see if I can figure out how to tighten it down more. You have been of great assistance.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #55
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hello Non,
Bon appremedie, I think. Can't read a single word of your snip But I get the idea. Being a meathead or independent spirit, depending on your point of view, I am currently running MSE + Firewall + McAfee Security Suite. Got to be protected. Have seen no unusual activity as yet. As a standalone I ran ASquared and no problems.
Thanks for the snip, I'll look into McAfee to see if I can figure out how to tighten it down more. You have been of great assistance.
glennc
You're welcome glennc, hope MSE & McAfee will do good together...I do aswell running Windows Defender + McAfee and both runs well actually.

Some parameters in McAfee are essential to set, as "protect at start up", "Activate UDP", uncheck "ICMP"...."Security level" set to recommended level...

Edit:
"Bon après-midi!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #56
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hello Non,
Bon appremedie, I think. Can't read a single word of your snip But I get the idea. Being a meathead or independent spirit, depending on your point of view, I am currently running MSE + Firewall + McAfee Security Suite. Got to be protected. Have seen no unusual activity as yet. As a standalone I ran ASquared and no problems.
Thanks for the snip, I'll look into McAfee to see if I can figure out how to tighten it down more. You have been of great assistance.
glennc
You're welcome glennc, hope MSE & McAfee will do good together...I do aswell running Windows Defender + McAfee and both runs well actually.

Some parameters in McAfee are essential to set, as "protect at start up", "Activate UDP", uncheck "ICMP"...."Security level" set to recommended level...

Edit:
"Bon après-midi!!!
Mercie bo coup Monsieur NoN,
I will look into those after dinner and check them. I have absolutely no idea about those parameters or hardly any others. Thanks again, wondered why the French dictionary wouldn't give me a definition. Luckily my neighbor and coworker speak as a now secondary language. Hope you don't mind if I confer with you more on the parmeters.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #57
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hello Non,
Bon appremedie, I think. Can't read a single word of your snip But I get the idea. Being a meathead or independent spirit, depending on your point of view, I am currently running MSE + Firewall + McAfee Security Suite. Got to be protected. Have seen no unusual activity as yet. As a standalone I ran ASquared and no problems.
Thanks for the snip, I'll look into McAfee to see if I can figure out how to tighten it down more. You have been of great assistance.
glennc
You're welcome glennc, hope MSE & McAfee will do good together...I do aswell running Windows Defender + McAfee and both runs well actually.

Some parameters in McAfee are essential to set, as "protect at start up", "Activate UDP", uncheck "ICMP"...."Security level" set to recommended level...

Edit:
"Bon après-midi!!!
Mercie bo coup Monsieur NoN,
I will look into those after dinner and check them. I have absolutely no idea about those parameters or hardly any others. Thanks again, wondered why the French dictionary wouldn't give me a definition. Luckily my neighbor and coworker speak as a now secondary language. Hope you don't mind if I confer with you more on the parmeters.
glennc
No, i would be glad to help you if you need on those...but you might have to wait a little as i have to go ...early to work!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #58
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Certainly not a problem. Sorry to hear about the work thing. Bummer. Thanks and we'll get back when ya can.
Take care.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #59
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

MSE is way better then mcafee, mcafee is a joke

YouTube - McAfee IS 2009 Review Video 1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #60
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freaky88 View Post
MSE is way better then mcafee, mcafee is a joke

YouTube - McAfee IS 2009 Review Video 1
Howdy,
I will look at the link.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 McAfee and MSE?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
John McAfee hates McAfee !!!
Guys Thought this would bring in some much needed laugh :D bKgf5PaBzyg p.s let me know if this isn't appropriate .. will delete the post !!
Chillout Room
Getting rid of McAfee
I used IObit Uninstaller v2.1 to uninstall McAfee AVplus and Security Scan Plus from my computer. I was wondering if this would totally remove these programs? Also can anyone recommend good antivirus software that will not interfere with IObit Malware Fighter Pro? Thanks for any help.:)
Software
Mcafee over MSE
Someone told me today that I should use the Mcafee Security Suite instead of MSE? What do yall think? I also use malwarebytes and I was wondering if I need to download another spyware program or if MSE and malwarebytes also do that? Thanks
System Security
Mcafee & 7
Did they work out the bugs? I remember a year ago mcafee didn't jib with w7. IE: Wasn't compatible .
Software
mcafee and win 7
when i log into my windows 7 computer mcafee tells me my computer is not protected, i click fix and nothing happens. my version of mcafee is free from comcast as a subscriber. anyone encountering this problem?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App