Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: McAfee and MSE?

29 Jul 2010   #71
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Certainly not a problem. Sorry to hear about the work thing. Bummer. Thanks and we'll get back when ya can.
Take care.
glennc
Hello there, so i guess you did have little time to enjoy Firewall meaning.
I can see the discuss still going on here in a good manner!

Hope solutions offered here doesn't disturb you too much in your choices and let you the time to test your new parameters...

I do not feel much confident with internet browsing these days and some can be right to say Router Firewall is enough with a full time anti-virus, which i believe is true (aka CarlTR6 clear respond). I prefer double insure my computer, before i was more of a relaxed surfin' the web guy, but i do find these days pretty agressive and decided to better protect privacy.

It could be the native firewall or any one style Norton or McAfee, or whichever are reputed goods one.
My only concern is what the one i paid for, do for my own privacy. Should i full trust them? I know Windows Firewall do good aswell but MS patches security matters, means there's always a way to enter the computer and more it patches more it tricks around.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jul 2010   #72
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hey there NoN,
Glad to hear from ya. I tend to be overcautious and careless at the same time. With that said now, I want the router firewall doing it's thing and a software firewall or two doing there things. I would like to cut down the software to just one eventually. I have enough memory and power that the problems of speed deprivation is not noticed at all on my system. I didn't like McAfee letting in what to the uninitiated seems like some bad stuff. I looked at a couple more McAfee videos and the videos showed a high rate of allowing stuff in and not finding it on scans. Of course they were using stock settings and Explorer 6 in some cases, with no other AV's. Still it concerned me.
On the other hand MSE let less through by seemingly a lot. Not enough to convince me to use it solely yet as it did let some through.
That being said I am going to stay with my paranoid settings for a while which again is MSE + Windows Firewall + McAffee Security Suite.
As we spoke last time, I am unfamiliar with the correct way to tighten down my security settings in McAfee. I did eventually find the ones you mentioned and changed them. Anything that goes further I am going to need some assistance and maybe a bit of explanation. I am currently configuring my router tighter
Thanks for the help, would be greatful for anything more you wish to share about McAfee.
Thanks
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2010   #73
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hey there NoN,
Glad to hear from ya. I tend to be overcautious and careless at the same time. With that said now, I want the router firewall doing it's thing and a software firewall or two doing there things. I would like to cut down the software to just one eventually. I have enough memory and power that the problems of speed deprivation is not noticed at all on my system. I didn't like McAfee letting in what to the uninitiated seems like some bad stuff. I looked at a couple more McAfee videos and the videos showed a high rate of allowing stuff in and not finding it on scans. Of course they were using stock settings and Explorer 6 in some cases, with no other AV's. Still it concerned me.
On the other hand MSE let less through by seemingly a lot. Not enough to convince me to use it solely yet as it did let some through.
That being said I am going to stay with my paranoid settings for a while which again is MSE + Windows Firewall + McAffee Security Suite.
As we spoke last time, I am unfamiliar with the correct way to tighten down my security settings in McAfee. I did eventually find the ones you mentioned and changed them. Anything that goes further I am going to need some assistance and maybe a bit of explanation. I am currently configuring my router tighter
Thanks for the help, would be greatful for anything more you wish to share about McAfee.
Thanks
glennc
You can also integrate your own mail to be watched for spam and protected aswell from piracy.
i do aswell care about history of the firewall and do check all boxes (not the last on on ports manner) still in the tab firewall parameters and let all to default the tab "Ports and System services" so McAfee can detect the eventually remote attacks on those ports.

In your router you can set to high security level the firewall and here, i didn't noticed pages not loading or difficulties browsing the net by those high parameters.

In connections, choose private or public depend how you already choosed in windows 7 network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jul 2010   #74
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hey there NoN,
Glad to hear from ya. I tend to be overcautious and careless at the same time. With that said now, I want the router firewall doing it's thing and a software firewall or two doing there things. I would like to cut down the software to just one eventually. I have enough memory and power that the problems of speed deprivation is not noticed at all on my system. I didn't like McAfee letting in what to the uninitiated seems like some bad stuff. I looked at a couple more McAfee videos and the videos showed a high rate of allowing stuff in and not finding it on scans. Of course they were using stock settings and Explorer 6 in some cases, with no other AV's. Still it concerned me.
On the other hand MSE let less through by seemingly a lot. Not enough to convince me to use it solely yet as it did let some through.
That being said I am going to stay with my paranoid settings for a while which again is MSE + Windows Firewall + McAffee Security Suite.
As we spoke last time, I am unfamiliar with the correct way to tighten down my security settings in McAfee. I did eventually find the ones you mentioned and changed them. Anything that goes further I am going to need some assistance and maybe a bit of explanation. I am currently configuring my router tighter
Thanks for the help, would be greatful for anything more you wish to share about McAfee.
Thanks
glennc
You can also integrate your own mail to be watched for spam and protected aswell from piracy.
i do aswell care about history of the firewall and do check all boxes (not the last on on ports manner) still in the tab firewall parameters and let all to default the tab "Ports and System services" so McAfee can detect the eventually remote attacks on those ports.

In your router you can set to high security level the firewall and here, i didn't noticed pages not loading or difficulties browsing the net by those high parameters.

In connections, choose private or public depend how you already choosed in windows 7 network.
Hey NoN,
Think I got McAfee tightened as I can without direct instructions, thanks for the help you gave. Now the router firewall is another problem.
I set MAC Filtering, Changed SSID, put to WPA2 but there was hardly anything about the firewall. This is a Linksys and the manual doesn't match the way to set this up completely right. Read thru it but don't understand things like what services to block like Ping, what plug and play and UDP are so I'm a bit stuck there.
Appreciate your help.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2010   #75
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

i dont get why everyone loves mse, you can use

emsisoft anti malware
avira
and malwarebytes
spyware blaster or super anti spyware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2010   #76
McSeven

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 

I use Norton on some computers and Avira on others. I think Avira is outstanding. It also includes firewall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2010   #77
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

avira has a firewall? in the personal it doesnt maybe on the other one
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2010   #78
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hey Gentlemen,
From watching some videos on Youtube on tests on McAfee and MSE. It looked slightly slanted but showed IMHO that MSE is pretty effective and small compared to McAfee in what is loaded into memory. Some call it bloat and some call it neat features. I have had compatibility problems with Zonealarm and Comodo. Always like the ones you've mentioned.
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #79
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Hey there NoN,
Glad to hear from ya. I tend to be overcautious and careless at the same time. With that said now, I want the router firewall doing it's thing and a software firewall or two doing there things. I would like to cut down the software to just one eventually. I have enough memory and power that the problems of speed deprivation is not noticed at all on my system. I didn't like McAfee letting in what to the uninitiated seems like some bad stuff. I looked at a couple more McAfee videos and the videos showed a high rate of allowing stuff in and not finding it on scans. Of course they were using stock settings and Explorer 6 in some cases, with no other AV's. Still it concerned me.
On the other hand MSE let less through by seemingly a lot. Not enough to convince me to use it solely yet as it did let some through.
That being said I am going to stay with my paranoid settings for a while which again is MSE + Windows Firewall + McAffee Security Suite.
As we spoke last time, I am unfamiliar with the correct way to tighten down my security settings in McAfee. I did eventually find the ones you mentioned and changed them. Anything that goes further I am going to need some assistance and maybe a bit of explanation. I am currently configuring my router tighter
Thanks for the help, would be greatful for anything more you wish to share about McAfee.
Thanks
glennc
You can also integrate your own mail to be watched for spam and protected aswell from piracy.
i do aswell care about history of the firewall and do check all boxes (not the last on on ports manner) still in the tab firewall parameters and let all to default the tab "Ports and System services" so McAfee can detect the eventually remote attacks on those ports.

In your router you can set to high security level the firewall and here, i didn't noticed pages not loading or difficulties browsing the net by those high parameters.

In connections, choose private or public depend how you already choosed in windows 7 network.
Hey NoN,
Think I got McAfee tightened as I can without direct instructions, thanks for the help you gave. Now the router firewall is another problem.
I set MAC Filtering, Changed SSID, put to WPA2 but there was hardly anything about the firewall. This is a Linksys and the manual doesn't match the way to set this up completely right. Read thru it but don't understand things like what services to block like Ping, what plug and play and UDP are so I'm a bit stuck there.
Appreciate your help.
glennc
-Ping over the net is mostly for Game Users...

-Plug & play is for the peripherals devices:
Universal Plug and Play - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Udp & Tcp ports are for such sharing Applications (aka: port fowarding) as .torrent (Bitorrent or uTorrent) and allowing those Apps to open the port for you in your NAT Router. you can also use those Udp & Tcp ports to block one port as the 1723 PPTP one for exemple, known for his weakness, but it is not a real solution as it can be overide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2010   #80
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hello NoN,
If I am understanding you properly, then I can disable all of those items ie port forwarding and UDP and plug and play as I don't use them?
glennc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 McAfee and MSE?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
John McAfee hates McAfee !!!
Guys Thought this would bring in some much needed laugh :D bKgf5PaBzyg p.s let me know if this isn't appropriate .. will delete the post !!
Chillout Room
Getting rid of McAfee
I used IObit Uninstaller v2.1 to uninstall McAfee AVplus and Security Scan Plus from my computer. I was wondering if this would totally remove these programs? Also can anyone recommend good antivirus software that will not interfere with IObit Malware Fighter Pro? Thanks for any help.:)
Software
Mcafee over MSE
Someone told me today that I should use the Mcafee Security Suite instead of MSE? What do yall think? I also use malwarebytes and I was wondering if I need to download another spyware program or if MSE and malwarebytes also do that? Thanks
System Security
Mcafee & 7
Did they work out the bugs? I remember a year ago mcafee didn't jib with w7. IE: Wasn't compatible .
Software
mcafee and win 7
when i log into my windows 7 computer mcafee tells me my computer is not protected, i click fix and nothing happens. my version of mcafee is free from comcast as a subscriber. anyone encountering this problem?
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App