Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Custom Start Menu Button Collection

10 Aug 2011   #751
speedgamer01

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
 
 

@ derekimo She might be using the wrong soft, there are 3 more similar apps out there which might not accept pngs.
@ Jaidyn I had a little work with this 1, I included an xcf file with the final look and a psd file with the orb styles, in case you want to change something. ultimate black orb.zip
looks like this: Custom Start Menu Button Collection-ultimate-orb.png




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Aug 2011   #752
JaidynM

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64/Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

That's great! Thanks.

Could you by any chance give this one an 'animation'?

Quote:
The solution to the no animation problem is simple yet involved, you have to convert the image into a PNG format, then edit the image so the black space is transparent then convert it back to BMP for transparency support.
According to one of the comments, that's the solution but being a GFX n00b, I have no idea how to accomplish this simple task.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #753
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
That's great! Thanks.

Could you by any chance give this one an 'animation'?

Quote:
The solution to the no animation problem is simple yet involved, you have to convert the image into a PNG format, then edit the image so the black space is transparent then convert it back to BMP for transparency support.
According to one of the comments, that's the solution but being a GFX n00b, I have no idea how to accomplish this simple task.
There's no need to go converting file types in order to gain transparency, each file type handles transparency very differently...

- A PNG file stores the alpha channel per pixel, so each individual pixel contains colour and transparency.
- A BMP uses an 'alpha channel', much like a layer mask in PhotoShop, each pixel still has it's own colour setting, but the alpha setting is stored in a different place.

If you want a BMP with transparency that will work as a Start Orb, simply make sure it contains an alpha channel (varies from one graphics app to the next), and make sure it's saved as a 32-bit BMP (four 8-bit channels, RGBA), not a 24-bit BMP (three 8-bit channels, RGB).

I'm a bit lost when you say give it 'animation' though, you mean the different button states (normal, hover, clicked)? Or do you actually want to animate the Start Orb? For the former, have a look at my tutorial for more details. For the latter, try Kishan Bagaria's Start Orb Animator, then you can use animated GIFs as Start Orbs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Aug 2011   #754
JaidynM

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64/Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

I've already read it. Thanks by the way, it's a great tutorial. And yes, I do mean the normal, hover and clicked. I don't have Photoshop anyway so unfortunately, I cannot do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #755
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
I've already read it. Thanks by the way, it's a great tutorial. And yes, I do mean the normal, hover and clicked. I don't have Photoshop anyway so unfortunately, I cannot do it.
Ah... Well, I downloaded the orb you linked in the previous post, and it looks like the alpha channel wasn't updated to include the blue glow at the bottom of the orb... I'm just fixing that now for you. Give me a minute....

Edit: Try the attached orb, that should sort out the hover glow properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2011   #756
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

I made a start button after a long gap . Almost forgot the technique !
Custom Start Menu Button Collection-preview.png

Not bad for a dark/ black taskbar
Bitmaps are in the attached zip file .


Attached Files
File Type: zip Blue Buttons.zip (9.6 KB, 85 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2011   #757
JaidynM

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64/Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
I've already read it. Thanks by the way, it's a great tutorial. And yes, I do mean the normal, hover and clicked. I don't have Photoshop anyway so unfortunately, I cannot do it.
Ah... Well, I downloaded the orb you linked in the previous post, and it looks like the alpha channel wasn't updated to include the blue glow at the bottom of the orb... I'm just fixing that now for you. Give me a minute....

Edit: Try the attached orb, that should sort out the hover glow properly.
Ah, that works well. Thanks a bunch, Dre.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Aug 2011   #758
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
I've already read it. Thanks by the way, it's a great tutorial. And yes, I do mean the normal, hover and clicked. I don't have Photoshop anyway so unfortunately, I cannot do it.
Ah... Well, I downloaded the orb you linked in the previous post, and it looks like the alpha channel wasn't updated to include the blue glow at the bottom of the orb... I'm just fixing that now for you. Give me a minute....

Edit: Try the attached orb, that should sort out the hover glow properly.
Ah, that works well. Thanks a bunch, Dre.
No problem, glad to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2011   #759
ashimashi

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for them, they are all great!

I wanted:
[IMG]http://www.**************/imgbnc.php/224f21ca85bc7eb789ba2780ca4c6e3e4g.jpg[/IMG] But it seems like the link is not there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2011   #760
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ashimashi View Post
Thanks for them, they are all great!

I wanted:
[IMG]http://www.**************/imgbnc.php/224f21ca85bc7eb789ba2780ca4c6e3e4g.jpg[/IMG] But it seems like the link is not there.
I have trier to fix it , but I cannot open it with photoshop . It says that it is an unknown or invalid JPEG marker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Custom Start Menu Button Collection




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Classic Start Menu: Start Button appears doubled
Switched to the XP-ish Classic Start Menu, plus Adjust for Best Performance, in the usual prescribed way, no third-party interface-modifiers. All looks & works fine except that the Start button itself looks like TWO buttons -- one atop the other and just slightly out of alignment (screenshot here)....
Customization
Custom Start button that is not an orb.
I have been trying to place a custom start button into my Windows 7 instalation because I dislike the orb. The problem is that unlike Windows Vista (which I have done this mod to) took the new image without a hassle and changed the start button area to suit the image. Windows 7 on the other hand is...
Themes and Styles
custom start button
I am trying to use this as my start button https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/customization/23368d1250402133-custom-themes-icons-start-buttons-lhr-glow-button-v.2.bmp I have followed the tutorial in these forums and it works... but as the image I am trying to apply is longer than the...
Customization
Start Menu - Replace Shut Down Button, with Lock Button
I want to replace the Shut Down button, with a Lock button instead :geek: How do you do that? :confused: I wondered this for a while actually. I mean the button in the pic below ;)
Customization
Custom Start button issues
Ok so I was able to customize the start button on my Windows 7 Pro x64 box, but I am having two issues: 1. I can not see the customized start button in Remote Desktop it is just blank. (It apears breifly when I do a mouse over). 2. On mouse over only the black box flashes then disapears....
Customization
Custom start button help!
I tried editing my start button with Anolis Resourcer and now my whole taskbar is gone! I made a backup file of explorer.exe but I don't know how to get back to the way it was! Someone please help!
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App