Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

12 Jun 2017   #40
JerometheGiraff

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I enabled share this folder for the sub-folder, set a user for the sub-folder by going Select Users or Groups > Advanced > Find Now; but when trying to access the sub-folder by another computer other then the host computer sharing the sub-folder I'm prompt that I don't have permission ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2017   #41
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

It may be best to go ahead and create a thread for this in the Network and Sharing forum area to see what we can do to help there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2019   #42
Debby

Windows 7
 
 
Should I deny privileges to all but myself?

Hi! Should I deny privileges to all but myself, for maximum protection, on all of my files and folders and programs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2019   #43
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Debby View Post
Hi! Should I deny privileges to all but myself, for maximum protection, on all of my files and folders and programs?
Hello Debby,

You wouldn't want to do that for everything since it could mistakenly deny access to something (ex: system or program) that needed it.

It's usually better to only deny access to specific items (ex: folder or file) instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jan 2019   #44
Debby

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for explaining! You can close this now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2019   #45
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2020   #46
Peter Pan

Windows 7 Pro 64
 
 

Hello all,
Still very useful 10 years later! Thank you.
By the way, I believe there's a typo in the tutorial:


Step 7. To Convert All Inherited Parent Permissions as Explicit for Object
NOTE: This will convert all of the inherited parent permission entries as explicit permissons (<not inherited>) instead for this "object name" under the Inherited From column.
A) Uncheck the Include inheritable permissions from the objects parent box. (see screenshot below step 4)
B) Click on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

You should click on the Add button instead, shouldn't you? This looks like a copy and paste of the content related to step 6.

Furthermore, you mention few steps further: "Be sure to not deny permissions to or remove TrustedInstaller, LOCAL SERVICE, RESTRICTED, SERVICE, or SYSTEM permission entries if listed." What system accournts are "RESTRICTED" or "SERVICE" or were in Windows 7? Were you talking about "NETWORK SERVICE" and "Local system (network restricted)"? Thanks to clarifY;

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2020   #47
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Hello all,
Still very useful 10 years later! Thank you.
By the way, I believe there's a typo in the tutorial:


Step 7. To Convert All Inherited Parent Permissions as Explicit for Object
NOTE: This will convert all of the inherited parent permission entries as explicit permissons (<not inherited>) instead for this "object name" under the Inherited From column.
A) Uncheck the Include inheritable permissions from the objects parent box. (see screenshot below step 4)
B) Click on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

You should click on the Add button instead, shouldn't you? This looks like a copy and paste of the content related to step 6.

Furthermore, you mention few steps further: "Be sure to not deny permissions to or remove TrustedInstaller, LOCAL SERVICE, RESTRICTED, SERVICE, or SYSTEM permission entries if listed." What system accournts are "RESTRICTED" or "SERVICE" or were in Windows 7? Were you talking about "NETWORK SERVICE" and "Local system (network restricted)"? Thanks to clarifY;

Cheers

Hello Peter,

Thank you. It should have been "Add" and not "Remove" for step 7. It is has now been corrected.

If I remember correctly, the warning is for system groups and services.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Feb 2020   #48
Peter Pan

Windows 7 Pro 64
 
 

Hello Brink,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Regarding the Windows SIDs / Security Groups / Identities, names and labels have slightly evolved from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 / Windows Server 2019.

Here below are some Microsoft technical articles where I was able to found these generic identity labels as RESTRICTED, SERVICE and SYSTEM. Relations to special system users like TrustedInstaller or Local System are not always clear and may have changed over time. I will give it a closer look to clarifiy things in my head

Cheers.


Special Identities (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs
Understand Implicit Groups and Identities in Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft Docs
Security identifiers (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rating-systems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2020   #49
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Hello Brink,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Regarding the Windows SIDs / Security Groups, Identities, names and labels have slightly evolved from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 / Windows Server 2019.

Here below are some Microsoft technical articles where I was able to found these generic identity labels as RESTRICTED, SERVICE and SYSTEM. Relations to special system users like TrustedInstaller or Local System are not always clear and may have changed over time. I will give it a closer look to clarifiy things in my head

Cheers.


Special Identities (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs
Understand Implicit Groups and Identities in Windows Server 2008 | Microsoft Docs
Security identifiers (Windows 10) - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rating-systems
Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Groups Users/Administrators file permissions problem
Hi, I have one account which is member of Administrators and HomeUsers groups. When I set file permissions to Deny Read for Users group, above mentioned account cannot read the file. What is the reason? Above mentioned account is not a member of Users group and this setting should not affect...
System Security
Allow or Deny access to user groups.
I have got into a bit of a pickle. I am setting up a lappy for a local charity. We have four users. 1. Admin and three standard users, Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary. I want to allow full access to some programs, folders and files for say two of the standard users and deny access to the third....
Network & Sharing
How to setup users/groups/permissions for a user "home" folder
I own a system running windows 7 enterprise and have an administrator account on it. I would like to setup a "standard user" (not admin) account for a new user. I plan to create a folder for the user inside of which the user will be allowed to create his own subfolders and files. I plan to...
General Discussion
I am trying to make users and groups with rights and permissions
I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and I am trying to make users and put them into groups that I also want to create. You see I want to make these users and groups have special rights and permissions. I right click computer left click manage and then when I get to the computer management screen...
General Discussion
Permissions set to 'Deny' Full Control
Ok, so I set permissions to deny, hoping that nothing would be able to change the files inside. Unfortunately, now I can't do anything to the folder. I have tried takeown /f while running cmd in administrator. I've tried "rmdir" nothing works. pics included. Anyone know how i can delete the file...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:26.
Twitter Facebook