Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

16 Dec 2013   #550
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

No, Paragon will not migrate the recovery partition. All it will migrate is the system reserved partition and the partition with the OS on it.

I found just using Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to my new SSD worked best (Paragon and Samsung's Migration Tool were total fails). I didn't even have to realign the SSD or turn on trim afterwards. I did have to disable defrag.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Dec 2013   #551
majidpromix

windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No, Paragon will not migrate the recovery partition. All it will migrate is the system reserved partition and the partition with the OS on it.

I found just using Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to my new SSD worked best (Paragon and Samsung's Migration Tool were total fails). I didn't even have to realign the SSD or turn on trim afterwards. I did have to disable defrag.
Thank u.
You mean macrium reflect will migrate the recovery partition? can i do this without hdd enclosure and only with an external hard drive?
cuz i dont have the enlosure :-(
can u explain the procedure u did?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2013   #552
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The Paragon Migration tool does transfer the hidden 200MB system partition - has to, because that's where your bootmgr resides. But that is NOT the recovery partition which is usually appr. 10GB and which is not transferred to the SSD.

The recovery console will work but you cannot restore to factory conditions. For that I suggest you make an early image after the tranfer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2013   #553
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by majidpromix View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
No, Paragon will not migrate the recovery partition. All it will migrate is the system reserved partition and the partition with the OS on it.

I found just using Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to my new SSD worked best (Paragon and Samsung's Migration Tool were total fails). I didn't even have to realign the SSD or turn on trim afterwards. I did have to disable defrag.
Thank u.
You mean macrium reflect will migrate the recovery partition? can i do this without hdd enclosure and only with an external hard drive?
cuz i dont have the enlosure :-(
can u explain the procedure u did?
Yes, Macrium Reflect will migrate all partitions. Basically, you are not migrating; you are cloning. If the drive you are migrating to is smaller than the one you are migrating from, you probably wouldn't be able to do so. Also, I don't know if the recovery partition will work with the new drive so whs' advice to take an early image is spot on. Also, you will be better off using a dock for the drive you are cloning to than trying to use an external HDD. I'm not even certain you can use an external HDD for that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Dec 2013   #554
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Generally Macrium does a good job with different sized drives, as long as the data from the old drive is smaller than the new drive's capacity. If it is much smaller it makes an unallocated partition, or has twice for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2013   #555
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Generally Macrium does a good job with different sized drives, as long as the data from the old drive is smaller than the new drive's capacity. If it is much smaller it makes an unallocated partition, or has twice for me.
Exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2013   #556
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I've imaged the recovery partition using Macrium to a new HDD and performed a factory restore without problems. But in my case (an old ACER desktop) the new HDD needed to be the same size as the old one. If you have say a 1TB HDD and put the recovery partition on say a 256 GB SSD I wouldn't expect it to work. I'd definitely try it first.
With Macrium an image restore using their drag and drop method should allow you to migrate to a smaller drive.
v5: How to restore a backup image (Restore, v5)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2013   #557
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Generally Macrium does a good job with different sized drives, as long as the data from the old drive is smaller than the new drive's capacity. If it is much smaller it makes an unallocated partition, or has twice for me.
Exactly.
I believe the paid version does all kinds of extra stuff but the free version is excellent. I have been using it for several years. Someone on The Register recommended it so I downloaded it. Never used anything else since. I think they have put Norton Ghost out of business.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2013   #558
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Generally Macrium does a good job with different sized drives, as long as the data from the old drive is smaller than the new drive's capacity. If it is much smaller it makes an unallocated partition, or has twice for me.
Exactly.
I believe the paid version does all kinds of extra stuff but the free version is excellent. I have been using it for several years. Someone on The Register recommended it so I downloaded it. Never used anything else since. I think they have put Norton Ghost out of business.
You are correct; the paid version does quite a bit more but, as you said, the free version is excellent and will meet the needs of most people. I personally prefer the paid version. I have four licenses (four didn't cost any more than the two I needed) that are lifetime for the current version of the paid version. That version will still be good after the new version comes out; it just won't get any more updates. I won't upgrade unless the new version has one or more features I could really benefit from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2013   #559
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Personal - Macrium Software

It is on my "list" to get the Macrioum 4 license PRO pack along with a few SSD's a 60" TV (I don't see as well as I used to but my Sony 57" PTV is 10 years old and still has a fantastic picture, I do know how good it is, repairing them was what I did) 3 of the same 16:10 monitors to replace the 3 on my desk that have nothing wrong with them.....and so on. I am sure all us Geeks have the same kind of list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I can not install no operating system
Hello ! I tried to install a myriad of DVDs or USB keys for Widows 7 that in the pc of my friends all go perfectly, in my case initially l 'installation goes, but then I get the following message: "FILE OR DIRECTORY d: DAMAGED AND NOT READABLE. RUN THE UTILITY 'CHKDSK "
Installation & Setup
After new Win 7 install - msg: Operating System Not Found
Hi first time on the forum so if I don't give all the necessary info. let me know and I'll provide what I can. System : eMachines G640 Disk Drive : WD3200BEVT O/S : Win 7 Home Premium x64 (from heidoc.net) Original disk drive failed with read errors so was replaced with above (like for like)....
Installation & Setup
Operating system install on external dock
Hey there everyone I am having a little trouble trying to figure out how to install an operating system on a hard drive that is externally docked on my multi-function HDD Dock that is connected usb. The hard drive is currently locked out from a virus. Any ideas? Thanks!
Installation & Setup
Missing Operating System after bad HDD driver install
Hi everybody...I have a Dell Inspiron15r model N5010 that I was trying to upgrade to windows 8 Pro when I went and downloaded many of the drivers from Dell so that I had all the latest and greatest. in my quest for quickness, I accidentally installed a driver for a HD that was listed when I meant...
Installation & Setup
Computer won't install (seemingly) any operating system.
I'm going to try and keep this as concise as possible. I was working on an older custom built PC for my girlfriend's father. He said that it had been sitting for quite a while and didn't remember what was wrong with it. I offered to take a look and that puts me in my present predicament. ...
General Discussion
How to install another operating system
I have a Windows 7 Computer but I want to put Ubuntu Linux on a separate partition. I can't figure out how to do that. I already have the iso and have a new partition. Please help.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App