Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows.old folder - Restore into a new installation

18 Dec 2010   #50
Kari

 

A bit more testing:

Even though I was already sure it works, I decided to do one more test. Installed Seven on my test rig once more, on top of XP creating Windows.old. After installation, I copied the Windows.old folder to an external HD and deleted it from the new Windows 7 installation. I "played" a few days with Seven, installed software and so on. This morning I copied the Windows.old folder back to Seven, and did the restore procedure.

Everything works as before, XP is restored to the smallest detail. For those reading this tutorial and wondering if it really works, I can only say that I have now tested it several times, different scenarios and it always works.

Amazing, when you think of it.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2010   #51
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
A bit more testing:

Even though I was already sure it works, I decided to do one more test. Installed Seven on my test rig once more, on top of XP creating Windows.old. After installation, I copied the Windows.old folder to an external HD and deleted it from the new Windows 7 installation. I "played" a few days with Seven, installed software and so on. This morning I copied the Windows.old folder back to Seven, and did the restore procedure.

Everything works as before, XP is restored to the smallest detail. For those reading this tutorial and wondering if it really works, I can only say that I have now tested it several times, different scenarios and it always works.

Amazing, when you think of it.

Kari
Awesome Kari, thanks (again)!
Would rep you if I could.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2011   #52
witz17

windows 7
 
 

Lordbob - from the tutorial you illustrated....

My old version and new version are both Windows 7. When in command prompt, do I just replace all commands that include "Vista" with "Windows 7"?

I am looking to retrieve an old Excel spreadsheet that was located on my previous desktop...

Appreciate your help.

Witz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2011   #53
Kari

 

Hi Witz, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The word "Vista" in this excellent tutorial by Lordbob is only used to rename some system folders. You can rename those as you want to, like this:
Code:
ren Windows Windows.Any.Name.You.Want.To.Use
The rename command's two parameters are current name (Windows in this example), and the new name (Windows.Any.Name.You.Want.To.Use in this example).

You can forget steps 9 and 10 if both new and old versions are Seven.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Feb 2011   #54
witz17

windows 7
 
 

I am a complete beginner at this and I was able to do it!

Many thanks to you.... I greatly appreciate your help!

Witz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2011   #55
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by witz17 View Post
I am a complete beginner at this and I was able to do it!

Many thanks to you.... I greatly appreciate your help!

Witz
Thanks mate, glad it worked for you.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #56
p3pikr3izi

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Hey good job! But I have a question, is there a way to undo the above steps? I mean, what if I wanted to have the files back like before, i.e., delete the files .Vista including Windows.Vista, Program Files.Vista etc.
Any idea?
Thank you so much!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #57
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p3pikr3izi View Post
Hey good job! But I have a question, is there a way to undo the above steps? I mean, what if I wanted to have the files back like before, i.e., delete the files .Vista including Windows.Vista, Program Files.Vista etc.
Any idea?
Thank you so much!!!
I believe that you could just follow the order and reverse the names, putting it back the way it was. I have not tried or thought about it though.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #58
p3pikr3izi

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

thanks! what about step 9? how would you write the line for it to boot in Win 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2011   #59
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Same as for Vista - they are both nt6.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows.old folder - Restore into a new installation




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System restore : No windows folder
Hello, I try to use system restore but there are no windows drive in the last step regardless the restoration point. Instead I get : 1, No drive found I tried in normal, safe mode and in recover mode. I used bootrec /fixmbr
Backup and Restore
how can i restore drivers from windows.old folder?
after trying to upgrade to windows 7 ultimate sp1, it was unsuccessful so i did a custom installation and now my some of my drivers are missing. I saw a thread in this forum say i should brows to drivers folder in windows.old (that i did) but still didn't solve the problem. What should i do next...
Backup and Restore
Windows 7 Windows.old folder restore failed.... How do I restore?
I tried the steps on SevenForums, and Microsoft.com. The Microsoft steps didn't work for me at all and the SevenForums steps didn't either. I tried the RegCure Pro program to fix system errors, and that did not do it. I used an ISO from a website to reinstall my Windows 7 because I wanted to start...
General Discussion
How to restore/repair Windows files without an installation DVD?
I've used the excellent tutorial on this site to run sfc /scannow and have identified a number (9) of corrupt system files: iscsicpl.dll msdart.dll filemgmt.dll Windows Hardware Remove.wav Windows Hardware Insert.wav Windows Notify.wav AuthFWGP.dll ieframe.dll.mui
Backup and Restore
Help restore programs from Windows.old folder
Hi i recently compressed my C:/drive not knowing that it wouldnt read the sys operating files... the error was win 7 wouldnt boot and said press ctrl alt del to restart... SO...i attempted to install win7 thinking that it would then have a bootmgr and soforth boot up..not the case, any how i fixed...
Backup and Restore
Installation with Windows.Old Folder
Hello, I need to reinstall windows 7 currently i have it installed but dont have an external drive to backup to, if i boot to OS disc and select custom install on the drive that the data is currently on will it move it to a windows.old folder like in vista or completely remove it?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App