Default File Type Associations - Restore

Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 70,217
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #390

    Hello Patsfan, and welcome to Seven Forums.

    You might see if you may be able to do OPTION ONE in the tutorial below while logged in as an administrator to enable regedit again. Afterwards, see if you are able to merge the REG file to restore the default .exe associations.

    Regedit - Enable or Disable - Vista Forums

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #391

    Thank you shawn for this fix. Do you know why this happened? What is the fastest way to do this? I dragged two at a time to my desktop to keep track of which ones I was merging. Once on my desktop I did 1 at a time. Was wondering if I couldve selected more than 1 and merged all of them at once?
    My guest account is working now thanks once again.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 70,217
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #392

    You're most welcome Ronny.

    File associations are usually messed up by mistake when the "Always use" box is checked when using Open with. Malware or a virus is another cause. Sometimes when you install a program, it may take over as the default program as well.

    You could select all or more than one REG file to merge at once, but it still will only merge them one at a time anyways so you might as well run them one at a time though. :)
    Last edited by Brink; 20 Jan 2012 at 17:12. Reason: typo
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 353
    Windows 7 Ultimate
       #393

    God, Brink. You have a fix for everything, kudos to you.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 70,217
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #394

    Not everything, but I do try.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 353
    Windows 7 Ultimate
       #395

    Brink said:
    Not everything, but I do try.
    90% of the time you help and the other 10%, you just post a link that always ends up helping
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,370
    W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
       #396

    No one is perfect but he tries! Besides what would SF or VF do without all the guides he has written to date? And they are typically better written when compared to blogs for the same things!

    This is why I say: "Keep up the good work! Shawn"!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    windows 7 ultimate 32bit
       #397

    thanks so much for such a useful post, it really help me and solved my problem.
    thanks in advance
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 70,217
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #398

    You're most welcome mrmtgh, and welcome to Seven Forums. :)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,047
    W7 Ultimate SP1, LM19.2 MATE, W10 Home 1703, W10 Pro 1703 VM, #All 64 bit
       #399

    Thanks Brink


    Recently my dll files mysteriously decided to associate themselves with "Audacity" (which I installed in 2010).

    Your dll reg file fixed the problem.
    Thanks Brink. :)
      My Computer


 
Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:37.
Find Us