Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    windows 7 home edition 64bit
       #240

    greetings!

    i've been reading this post and all threads but i still have a question about this whole process. it's very simple, i guess: can i completely format my asus 1225b laptop, install a new windows (same version - 7 home edition 64) and use the same OEM key that i have now? will it not say it's not genuine? i'm not changing any hardware, i'm just trying to get rid of useless partitions and asusware.

    thank you
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 21,007
    Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
       #241

    pedrosmithson said:
    greetings!

    i've been reading this post and all threads but i still have a question about this whole process. it's very simple, i guess: can i completely format my asus 1225b laptop, install a new windows (same version - 7 home edition 64) and use the same OEM key that i have now? will it not say it's not genuine? i'm not changing any hardware, i'm just trying to get rid of useless partitions and asusware.

    thank you
    Hello and welcome yes you can just follow Gregs tutorial you just need to make sure you are picking the right version of 7 not one marked old or with a N against it.
    Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
    You will certainly notice the difference if you can run to a SSD and from dumping the crapware from the manufacturer.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 50,642
    Thread Starter
       #242

    In addition be sure to delete all partitions during install to get the HD cleanest for the reinstall. This is shown in Steps 7 and 8 of the illustrated steps for the actual Clean Install Windows 7.

    Don't forget to make all the preparations in this tutorial, including making your Asus backup media and having your wireless driver in the backup so you can get online if it isn't provided, to enable Automatically deliver drivers via Windows Update (Step 3) and install all Important and Optional Windows Updates until there are no more..
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    windows 7 home edition 64bit
       #243

    Thanks ICit2lol and gregrocker. I'll do my clean install and then post feedback. Maybe I'll help someone else too :)
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 276
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #244

    I'm not sure if you meant for me to redirect my question here, Greg. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

    So after a clean install I should avoid registry cleaners like Advanced System Care.

    Here is a list of the other cleaning programs that I use. Please inform me if there are any others which should be avoided.

    Malwarebytes
    Spybot
    Super Anti-spyware
    C-cleaner

    I think C-cleaner has been approved already.

    I don't currently use a paid anti-virus program. I use microsoft security essentials. Supposedly, Malwarebytes and Spybot is supposed to protect your pc from spyware and malware, but I am certainly open to suggestions if you guys think any of these other programs should be avoided.

    Oh, and I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 50,642
    Thread Starter
       #245

    Spybot has fallen out of favor, in favor of SuperAntiSpyware. You also need an AV for which we nearly unanimously recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

    All the rest that you mention, as well as what else works best for Win7, are in the tutorial. Have you read it?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 276
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #246

    Going back through the tutorial with a fine tooth comb now. .

    gregrocker said:
    Spybot has fallen out of favor, in favor of SuperAntiSpyware. You also need an AV for which we nearly unanimously recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

    All the rest that you mention, as well as what else works best for Win7, are in the tutorial. Have you read it?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 276
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #247

    12. Don't let any programs write themselves into msconfig>Startup as they slow startup, become freeloaders on your RAM/CPU, can spy on you and cause conflicts.

    My startup folder is empty. Is that normal?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 276
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #248

    ● As illustrated in Startup Programs - Change uncheck everything except AV, gadgets (aka "sidebar"), Sync program in msconfig>Startup.

    What if I don't have anything called AV or gadgets (aka sidebar) ??? Should I just uncheck everything?


    arayfo1 said:
    12. Don't let any programs write themselves into msconfig>Startup as they slow startup, become freeloaders on your RAM/CPU, can spy on you and cause conflicts.

    My startup folder is empty. Is that normal?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,322
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #249

    What do you have in there?

    Don't uncheck anything yet.
      My Computer


 
Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50.
Find Us