Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Make bootable iso from student d/l

24 Oct 2009   #410
nabilalk

Win 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 
Source files not accessible error w/ upgrade from Vista

Followed the instructions, made the ISO, burned it, and still was unable to upgrade a Win Vista machine due to the error. I had to do a clean install to get the ISO to work. Why am I getting this files are not accessible error when I try upgrading?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Oct 2009   #411
kesey

Windows 7 RC 64 bit
 
 

SIW2, many thanks for your very clear post on how to get this wee problem sorted. I followed the instructions as per your post Make bootable iso from student d/l

Everything worked as you said. I went the "You may wish to copy the expandedsetup folder directly onto the root of C:" route and this saved a little bit of typing.

Once the .iso file was generated, I followed he instructions on USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create as the laptop I'm working on does not have a DVD burner.

Cheers, and have a brill weekend,

kesey
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #412
Treads4heads

Not sure yet
 
 

I need some help. I can across the same situation as everyone else but before I went through all these steps, a friend of mine suggested just using his Win 7 64bit Ultimate dvd, and just put my code in when it asks for it. Seemed like a plausible idea so I went along. Turns out the CD key and SKU for each retail copy are connected.

So I now currently have a fresh install of Win 7 on my harddrive, but no way to do anything with it as I have no working password.

My question is, can I redownload on another computer, and burn those files (the expandedfolder files, the 3.01gigs) as an ISO onto a disk and again make it boot from my custom made ISO disk? I will be skipping step 2, as I no longer have access to any system/32 folders, and I am not sure if that is required for this to work. Any insight will be appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #413
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Matt4 View Post
I did not have the option of a clean install so i have the windows.old folder along with some other junk in the drive root directory that made it past the upgrade but didnt get sorted into windows.old. So yes i do have the original install but clearly my win32 directory will be different now, i asssuemd making a boot iso would be different at this point.

Matt, if you have the installation files - you can go ahead and make the iso - it will be exactly like everyone else's.

Hope it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2009   #414
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi kesey,

You're welcome.

Have Fun


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kesey View Post
SIW2, many thanks for your very clear post on how to get this wee problem sorted. I followed the instructions as per your post Make bootable iso from student d/l

Everything worked as you said. I went the "You may wish to copy the expandedsetup folder directly onto the root of C:" route and this saved a little bit of typing.

Once the .iso file was generated, I followed he instructions on USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create as the laptop I'm working on does not have a DVD burner.

Cheers, and have a brill weekend,

kesey
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #415
Treads4heads

Not sure yet
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

Matt, if you have the installation files - you can go ahead and make the iso - it will be exactly like everyone else's.

Hope it helps.
I think I am in the same boat, as I won't be able to add anything to my windows system files. Is that 3gig folder (expandedfolder) the installation files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #416
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi Trends,

1. You could d/l the student install files and make the iso like everyone else.


OR

You can copy the contents of your friends dvd to your desktop - remove the ei.cfg file from the "sources" folder.

The use exactly the same steps to create the iso from those files- rather than the student d/l files.

You will the have an iso which can be used to install ANY Edition of 7.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Treads4heads View Post
I need some help. I can across the same situation as everyone else but before I went through all these steps, a friend of mine suggested just using his Win 7 64bit Ultimate dvd, and just put my code in when it asks for it. Seemed like a plausible idea so I went along. Turns out the CD key and SKU for each retail copy are connected.

So I now currently have a fresh install of Win 7 on my harddrive, but no way to do anything with it as I have no working password.

My question is, can I redownload on another computer, and burn those files (the expandedfolder files, the 3.01gigs) as an ISO onto a disk and again make it boot from my custom made ISO disk? I will be skipping step 2, as I no longer have access to any system/32 folders, and I am not sure if that is required for this to work. Any insight will be appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #417
Treads4heads

Not sure yet
 
 

Awesome! I will just re-download and make the ISO like everyone else. I don't have access to my desktop as it needs me to enter a CD key to get through that. I was just not sure if my ISO/install would work if I didn't add the ocesm into my system files before I tried this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #418
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You have to use oscdimg.exe.

You can put it just about anywhere - you just need to be in that directory to run it.

That means , in the command prompt, the bit before the> should be the place you put oscdimg.

For example , if you put oscdimg directly on C drive - not in any folder at all, the cmd window needs to start at C:\>

To change directory, open elevated command, type:

cd /d the directory you want.


Not sure what you mean by don't have acces to your desktop - how are you making these posts now?

You can do it all on another machine if you like - when you have made the .iso and burned it - you boot that dvd on your original machine and install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #419
Treads4heads

Not sure yet
 
 

I'm posting from my work machine. I am locked out of my machine as I installed windows 7 using a friends CD, but my key does not work on it (dumb, I know) and cannot get passed the screen in which it asks for a key.

Ok, I understand now. I was not sure what oscdimg.exe did, and thought for it to work, it needed to be in the system files of the machine that is being updated. I will use it on my other machine and post later tonight if everything worked.

Again, SIW2, we all thank you for your support and patience.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Make bootable iso from student d/l




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Make bootable ISO from bootable USB Drive
I have a USB drive with Ophcrack and a rainbow table in it. I can boot from it. I want to make an ISO from it with the table still installed. I'm trying to use it on VMware. I've tried using PowerISO by opening the files and saving them as an ISO. It wouldn't boot.
Software
Make HD WinXP bootable?
Here's the situation: I have Win7 installed on my ultrabook and want XP on it as well. But, since my ultrabook does not have a DVD drive, I can only install XP from the hard drive. So, how would I go about making my HDD XP bootable (on another partition) so I can run XP setup in DOS mode?...
Installation & Setup
How can I make a bootable DVD?
Maybe it's a stupid question,but I can't figure it out how...? At this moment,I have Win 7 buil 7000 32 bit installed,and I want install x64 version,so I have downloaded Win7 build 7048 x64,but it's not a bootable ISO file. I managed to make an ISO,but have never did and don't know how to make a...
Installation & Setup
I don't know how to make a bootable DVD
Hello all. I want to install windows 7. I downloaded it from microsoft. The problem is, I can't do a bootable dvd.. I tried Nero, PowerIso and UltraIso. Any help ?? thanks in advance..
Installation & Setup
Make drive non-bootable.
OK, this is a weird request so here it goes. I had a RAID1-01 set of boot-able 500g drives plus another 500g drive for backup. One of the drives failed so I bought 2 each 1tb drives. Replaced the failed drive and let the RAID1 rebuild. I then decided to replace the good 500g drive with the...
Hardware & Devices
problems with bootable iso & student download
Hullo, I followed the tutorial about creating an ISO image file from the installation files of the downloadable version of Win7 from The Ultimate Steal - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html?filter. I used XP SP3 32bit However the disc won't boot -...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App