Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Make bootable iso from student d/l

27 Oct 2009   #550
carito

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carito View Post
Hi,

I have tried to do as explained on this post but I cant even get the expandedsetup from the digital river student download I got. I have the setup1.box and setup2.box but the other bit is called win7-p-retail-en-us-x86. I wanted to do a clean install from windows vista home premium.

Since cant get the expandedsetup folder, I cant do any of the other steps. I have downloaded the win 7 download from digital river about 5 times and still having some problem. I am so frustrated by all this!! Can any help/have any ideas???

thank you so much!
Yours is the 32-bit version so you should have no problem extracting the files. Simply double-click on win7-p-retail-en-us-x86.

-HM
Thats what I thought but as soon as I try to open it by either double clicking on it, right click and open or right click and open as administrator I get the error box "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" with an OK at the end. I click on OK and thats it, no set expandedsetup anywhere


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Oct 2009   #551
windoughs

Vista 32-bit
 
 
FINALLY, the ISO is up!

ISO: Microsoft?s ISO Image for Windows 7 Now Available

and some instructions, too: Windows 7 AU Online Store

windoughs 7 2009 dough-heads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #552
caz32

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by caz32 View Post
Don't suppose anyone knows of a program that allows me to unlock the extra 100gb or so on my HDD? its 250gb and only showing as 130, i used a program in XP called Partition Magic but it isn't working with Win7.

Try GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) its linux based open sourse software and its FREE! If you have used Partition Magic, it wont be tough to figure out. Also, you download it as an iso and then burn yourself a bootable linux cd from that!

Here's the link: GParted -- Welcome

Hope that helps you out!
Worked a treat, thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #553
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by caz32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Try GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) its linux based open sourse software and its FREE! If you have used Partition Magic, it wont be tough to figure out. Also, you download it as an iso and then burn yourself a bootable linux cd from that!

Here's the link: GParted -- Welcome

Hope that helps you out!
Worked a treat, thanks
I'm glad I could help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Oct 2009   #554
idrive

Windows Vista Home Premuim 32 , hope to soon be Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
CMD line code

I stuggled with trying to make my ISO file from the download from Digital River. My problems came when I tried to run the cmd ---->


Oscdimg.exe u2 b"C:\Users\username\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" h "C:\Users\username\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

I was copying and pasting code. When I decided to type it in by hand it worked! Why copying and pasting didn't work I don't know.

I had one other problem. The last part of the code C:\7.iso would not work, Vista would not let me write the file to my C:\ drive. I changed the last part of the code to C:\Users\username\Desktop\7.iso and it wrote the ISO file to my desktop.

I was them able to burn the ISO image to a DVD.

Hope this helps someone out there.

VERY frustrated with the download from Digital River. I have Vista 32 bit and wanted to upgrade to Win7 64bit. They fail to mention that this is not possible with this download. They also have not replied to my emails asking for help.

Anyway I am going to try my upgrade with my new ISO image that I have just finished burning! Wish me luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #555
magw77

Windows XP
 
 
Can't unpack 32bit version on 32bit machine

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carito View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by carito View Post
Hi,

I have tried to do as explained on this post but I cant even get the expandedsetup from the digital river student download I got. I have the setup1.box and setup2.box but the other bit is called win7-p-retail-en-us-x86. I wanted to do a clean install from windows vista home premium.

Since cant get the expandedsetup folder, I cant do any of the other steps. I have downloaded the win 7 download from digital river about 5 times and still having some problem. I am so frustrated by all this!! Can any help/have any ideas???

thank you so much!
Yours is the 32-bit version so you should have no problem extracting the files. Simply double-click on win7-p-retail-en-us-x86.

-HM
Thats what I thought but as soon as I try to open it by either double clicking on it, right click and open or right click and open as administrator I get the error box "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" with an OK at the end. I click on OK and thats it, no set expandedsetup anywhere
I'm having this exact problem too!

I'm on XP and I downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 7. I downloaded the file and ended up with the 3 files - setup1.box, setup2.box and Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x86.exe. When I double clicked on Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x86.exe I got the same error as above straight away - it didn't even start unpacking. Very frustrating!

I did move them from their original download location (the desktop) to an external drive, so whether that stuffed up something I don't know...

I'm downloading it again now. This time I'm saving it direct to my external drive.

Hopefully this time it'll work, but if it doesn't I guess I'll have to contact Digital River.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #556
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi idrive,

Thanks very much for posting back

We have had a couple others who had problems saving the .iso to the root of C.

We used exactly the same method as you did to get round that.

However, those posts are buried in this long thread - so it's good you posted it up again.

Anyone who has the 32 bit would be well advised to make a bootable .iso - otherwise they cannot reinstall if they can't get in to their pc

It is quite common.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #557
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi magw,

You might have a look at all 3 files you downloaded and check the attributes.

This useful - it adds to your right click menu:
Petges.lu - News
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #558
magw77

Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hi magw,

You might have a look at all 3 files you downloaded and check the attributes.

This useful - it adds to your right click menu:
Petges.lu - News
Thanks for that. I'm at work now so I'll have to wait till tonight to try it out, but what attributes should I be looking at?

Last night I went into each file and unchecked 'Read Only' and 'Archive', but that didn't help.

Are there other attributes that Attribute Changer might highlight that you'd suggest altering?

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #559
wrobster

windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Thanks for the update

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wrobster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Thanks for bringing that up.

Try this:

oscdimg.exe -h -u1 -b"C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -o -m "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

Please post back the result.
I was able to make the bootable hybrid image like you suggested.
Burned it to DVD with isoburner, and installed successfully on my PC,
which does not have the BIOS problem of booting pure UDF images.
Will not be able to try it on my son's machine until next week,
but I will post results as soon as he is ready for the upgrade.
Today I tried the hybrid DVD but still got the code 5 error.
Perhaps I need a different bootloader - not etfsboot.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Make bootable iso from student d/l




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Make bootable ISO from bootable USB Drive
I have a USB drive with Ophcrack and a rainbow table in it. I can boot from it. I want to make an ISO from it with the table still installed. I'm trying to use it on VMware. I've tried using PowerISO by opening the files and saving them as an ISO. It wouldn't boot.
Software
Make HD WinXP bootable?
Here's the situation: I have Win7 installed on my ultrabook and want XP on it as well. But, since my ultrabook does not have a DVD drive, I can only install XP from the hard drive. So, how would I go about making my HDD XP bootable (on another partition) so I can run XP setup in DOS mode?...
Installation & Setup
How can I make a bootable DVD?
Maybe it's a stupid question,but I can't figure it out how...? At this moment,I have Win 7 buil 7000 32 bit installed,and I want install x64 version,so I have downloaded Win7 build 7048 x64,but it's not a bootable ISO file. I managed to make an ISO,but have never did and don't know how to make a...
Installation & Setup
I don't know how to make a bootable DVD
Hello all. I want to install windows 7. I downloaded it from microsoft. The problem is, I can't do a bootable dvd.. I tried Nero, PowerIso and UltraIso. Any help ?? thanks in advance..
Installation & Setup
Make drive non-bootable.
OK, this is a weird request so here it goes. I had a RAID1-01 set of boot-able 500g drives plus another 500g drive for backup. One of the drives failed so I bought 2 each 1tb drives. Replaced the failed drive and let the RAID1 rebuild. I then decided to replace the good 500g drive with the...
Hardware & Devices
problems with bootable iso & student download
Hullo, I followed the tutorial about creating an ISO image file from the installation files of the downloadable version of Win7 from The Ultimate Steal - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html?filter. I used XP SP3 32bit However the disc won't boot -...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:16.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App