Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Make bootable iso from student d/l

22 Oct 2009   #70
donnyb313

Windows 7
 
 
Thank you microsoft

Used the OP's method to make a bootable iso and burned it to a dvd. Thanks for all the info, great thread.

Booted from the dvd and did a custom install. So far the bootable disc has worked. Went from 32 bit vista home premium to 64 bit windows 7 professional almost successfully.

Got to the point where the installer is asking for my windows product key, (which I purchased from digital river) and it's saying my product key is invalid. I've re typed and double checked it at least 10 times. I also tried my vista key.

Any idea's?

THANK YOU MICROSOFT


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Oct 2009   #71
Dean C

Windows XP 32bit PRO
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donnyb313 View Post
Used the OP's method to make a bootable iso and burned it to a dvd. Thanks for all the info, great thread.

Booted from the dvd and did a custom install. So far the bootable disc has worked. Went from 32 bit vista home premium to 64 bit windows 7 professional almost successfully.

Got to the point where the installer is asking for my windows product key, (which I purchased from digital river) and it's saying my product key is invalid. I've re typed and double checked it at least 10 times. I also tried my vista key.

Any idea's?

THANK YOU MICROSOFT
HotUKDeals Forum - View Single Post - Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional - 30 for UK Students

See this post. It explains that if you format first, it won't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #72
nigelmercier

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
Just to follow up with what everyone else has been suggesting:

1. My download, including the "setup1.box, setup2.box, and Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe" files all came through fine.

2. The files extracted without error to the "expandedSetup" folder wihtout error as well. I'm sorry I cannot help anyone having that particular problem.
So, has anyone got a solution to the error: "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only"

Failing that, has anyone got a contact number for Digital River, preferably in the UK?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #73
gregnied

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

kk I am trying to do what post #1 says when I am in command prompt it gives me this error

ERROR: could not delete existing file "ubC:\User\Greg\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"

Error 123: The filename, directory name or volumbe label syntax is inccorect

when I open command prompt I am typing into C:\documents and settings\Greg>

is that correct? not sure why I am having problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Oct 2009   #74
ojustaboo

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donnyb313 View Post
Used the OP's method to make a bootable iso and burned it to a dvd. Thanks for all the info, great thread.

Booted from the dvd and did a custom install. So far the bootable disc has worked. Went from 32 bit vista home premium to 64 bit windows 7 professional almost successfully.

Got to the point where the installer is asking for my windows product key, (which I purchased from digital river) and it's saying my product key is invalid. I've re typed and double checked it at least 10 times. I also tried my vista key.

Any idea's?

THANK YOU MICROSOFT
HotUKDeals Forum - View Single Post - Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional - 30 for UK Students

See this post. It explains that if you format first, it won't work.
Yet on the MS order page, under windows 7 pro, it says,

Quote:
You can also choose to buy Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for 30, however this may require you to perform a clean install. Please refer to the FAQ's. for more details.
which implies you can ???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #75
IcEmAn911

Windows Vista
 
 

Okay, I'm upgrading from Vista Home Premium 32bit to Windows 7 Professional 64bit and I've managed to make the .ISO file using this command:

oscdimg -n -m -b"C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup C:\7.iso

Change directories accordingly! It works for me and I hope it works for you !


Sources:
http://community.dynamics.com/blogs/...nts/20345.aspx
http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/48248...&postcount=555

According to the second link you must NOT format C: but to install Windows 7 Upgrade straight into the drive where Vista is found which commence an auto clean install format I THINK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #76
Sharivari

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit
 
 

Quote:
Yet on the MS order page, under windows 7 pro, it says,


You can also choose to buy Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for 30, however this may require you to perform a clean install. Please refer to the FAQ's. for more details.

which implies you can ???
I spoke to Microsoft support earlier. It seems they're not quite up to date with this 'student' downloadable version of Windows 7, and more familiar with anything purchased through the official MS Shop (as opposed to Digital River).

And I think their interpretation of 'perform a clean install' literally just means select the option to do a clean install during the UPGRADE. I don't think this means booting from a DVD image to install on a new hard disk.

So I guess this means spending another '39 minutes' installing XP onto a new hard disk just so that I can perform the Windows 7 upgrade.

Oh, and my advice for anyone still struggling with creating an ISO image,
carefully read the first thread in this topic and don't skip anything - but if you have problems with running oscdimg.exe it's porbably just related to incorrect filepaths, so try the following to simplify things:

Download the OS files (setup1.box setup2.box & Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x86.exe) double click on the .exe and wait for the expandedSetup directory to be created. Then cut and paste this into C:\ and also cut and paste oscdimg.exe into C:\windows\System32

Then follow the command as shown in the attached screen shot taken from my command prompt. If it works you should get the same confirmation, and a new file called '7.iso' will be in C:\ about 2.5GB in size.

I then used Roxio Media Creator 9 and selected 'Burn Image to Disc' and selected this 7.iso file. This gave me a nice bootable DVD.


Attached Images
Make bootable iso from student d/l-make-iso.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #77
Skylinefranc

Vista 32 bit ultimate
 
 
Help

Ok, I just need one more question answered and I think i'll be clear on how to do this

When I create the ISO file and use it to boot, is there any way that I can have my harddrive format and use my KEY validly? I purchased from digital river using my student discount but the above poster said he couldn't get his key to work. So I'm scared that I will have no OS on my system as my Vista CD is with my brother 3 hours away.

I am upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I want to know how to do this with the boot DVD and still be able to use my key, please help me before I make my computer unusable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #78
Sharivari

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skylinefranc View Post
Ok, I just need one more question answered and I think i'll be clear on how to do this

When I create the ISO file and use it to boot, is there any way that I can have my harddrive format and use my KEY validly? I purchased from digital river using my student discount but the above poster said he couldn't get his key to work. So I'm scared that I will have no OS on my system as my Vista CD is with my brother 3 hours away.

I am upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I want to know how to do this with the boot DVD and still be able to use my key, please help me before I make my computer unusable.
I'm quite sure this should work for you - the license key you've purchased is exactly for upgrading from Vista. You should be able to choose the 'upgrade' option so none of your data will be lost (but back everything up first - I'm sure you know that already !)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #79
Skylinefranc

Vista 32 bit ultimate
 
 

But I'm wanting to do a complete format of my drive and get a fresh start, I am upgrading my computer hard ware as well. Is there no way to have my hard drive formatted and still install using this Boot DVD if i purchased the key from digital river? If not then I'll just upgrade, no biggy, but one last last question, Should i install my new hardware and then run the 7 upgrade or run the 7 upgrade and then install new hardware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Make bootable iso from student d/l




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Make bootable ISO from bootable USB Drive
I have a USB drive with Ophcrack and a rainbow table in it. I can boot from it. I want to make an ISO from it with the table still installed. I'm trying to use it on VMware. I've tried using PowerISO by opening the files and saving them as an ISO. It wouldn't boot.
Software
Make HD WinXP bootable?
Here's the situation: I have Win7 installed on my ultrabook and want XP on it as well. But, since my ultrabook does not have a DVD drive, I can only install XP from the hard drive. So, how would I go about making my HDD XP bootable (on another partition) so I can run XP setup in DOS mode?...
Installation & Setup
How can I make a bootable DVD?
Maybe it's a stupid question,but I can't figure it out how...? At this moment,I have Win 7 buil 7000 32 bit installed,and I want install x64 version,so I have downloaded Win7 build 7048 x64,but it's not a bootable ISO file. I managed to make an ISO,but have never did and don't know how to make a...
Installation & Setup
I don't know how to make a bootable DVD
Hello all. I want to install windows 7. I downloaded it from microsoft. The problem is, I can't do a bootable dvd.. I tried Nero, PowerIso and UltraIso. Any help ?? thanks in advance..
Installation & Setup
Make drive non-bootable.
OK, this is a weird request so here it goes. I had a RAID1-01 set of boot-able 500g drives plus another 500g drive for backup. One of the drives failed so I bought 2 each 1tb drives. Replaced the failed drive and let the RAID1 rebuild. I then decided to replace the good 500g drive with the...
Hardware & Devices
problems with bootable iso & student download
Hullo, I followed the tutorial about creating an ISO image file from the installation files of the downloadable version of Win7 from The Ultimate Steal - https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html?filter. I used XP SP3 32bit However the disc won't boot -...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App