Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Mail

06 Jul 2010   #700
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
I used Brink's method for importing emails to WinLiveMail from WinMail running on both Vista and Windows 7, and it worked flawlessly for both operating systems....There was one small glitch. In the custom created folder in WinMail, there was only one message stored. In the imported custom folder in Storage folders, the custom folder was re-named with a number on the end; and the email message was duplicated with two identical copies.
Instead of using the import AND export wizards, I was thinking of using only the WLM import wizard (choosing the Windows Mail format) to browse to an external hard drive containing Vista's Windows Mail folder. I imagine that would create a separate folder tree within WLM containing my saved emails from Vista. I would also create new empty sub-folders in various places within WLM and drag groups of emails from the imported tree structure over to the new places where they would be integrated into WLM. Finally I would delete the imported (now empty) tree structure. I believe that's how I originally moved my OE emails over to WinMail. Any comments?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jul 2010   #701
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Instead of using the import AND export wizards, I was thinking of using only the WLM import wizard (choosing the Windows Mail format) to browse to an external hard drive containing Vista's Windows Mail folder. I imagine that would create a separate folder tree within WLM containing my saved emails from Vista. I would also create new empty sub-folders in various places within WLM and drag groups of emails from the imported tree structure over to the new places where they would be integrated into WLM. Finally I would delete the imported (now empty) tree structure. I believe that's how I originally moved my OE emails over to WinMail. Any comments?
Hey, smart thinkng roncerr! I used that method when importing messages from WinMail in Windows 7, but never thought to use it on WinMail in Vista.

I have XP, Vista and Windows 7 all on the same hard drive, which I think would be equivalent to having Vista on an external hard drive. So I tried it and it worked like a charm. However, I could not import from Windows Mail folder in program files. I had to browse to Local Folders as the target folder form which to import, using the following pathway:

Start --> User name --> AppData --> Local --> Microsoft --> Windows Mail --> Local Folders.

All the folders were imported to Imported Folder (1) in Storage Folders as shown in the following screenshot.


Windows Mail-imported-messages.png

Cheers PB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #702
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 
Import Message Maze

To Greg S.

I think I finally figured out what is going on with the import glitches. There are basiclly two issues.

1. The type of file used in the messages to be moved.

Emails saved to desktop from the interface of WinLiveMail.exe or WinMail.exe are .eml files and are different to the type stored on the hard drive in Local Folders under AppData. The ones stored in Local Folders are linked files. The ones on desktop are stand alone. For this reason:

- .eml emails saved to desktop can be successfully drag/dropped into the interface of either WinLiveMail.exe or WinMail.exe.

- While they cannot be successfully moved into storage folders under AppData on the hard drive for WinLiveMail, they can be for WinMail. This means the file types are different in WLM & WM for storage on hard drive.


2. The different types of filing systems used to store mail in WLM and WM.

WinMail stores all messages on the hard drive in Local Folders. WinLiveMail stores them in individual accounts according to the recipient email address. These two filing systems do not mix/match.

If the Local Folders from WinMail in AppData in Vista are moved to an empty corresponding Local Folders in WinMail in AppData in Windows 7, it will work because they have the same filing system. This is the method used in my post here.

However, if these same Local Folders from WinMail are moved to an emptied Account folder in WinLiveMail under AppData:

- They will be displayed in the interface of WinLiveMail.exe, as "< craparrows.com >".

- They will be duplicated in the Local Folders in the Account folder under AppData, (as you discovered and pointed out to me).

This means there are basically two safe methods of importing all your emails from WinMail to WinLiveMail.

1. Use the Import/Export Wizards: As described in Brinks tutorial. Or if you have WinMail in Windows 7, or in Vista on an external hard drive, or the same hard drive as Windows 7, just use the one step Import Wizard in WinLiveMail as pointed out by roncerr in the post above.

2. Drag/Drop or Save all messages to a storage folder from WinMail.exe interface. These emails will then be in .eml file type, and can be drag/dropped to any Account Folder, or Storage Folders in WinLiveMail.exe interface.

Further observations.

1. If .eml emails saved to the desktop, as in (2) above, are moved to an Account folder in WLM under AppData, they will appear in the WinLiveMail.exe interface as "< craparrows.com >". As can be seen in the screenshot below. You can't see the full email address for security reasons.

2. If emails are moved from Local Folders under AppData in WinMail to an Account folder in WLM under AppData, they will also appear in the WinLiveMail.exe interface as "< craparrows.com >" because the file type for emails in Hard Drive storage is different in each appliction.

This is a view of AppData > Windows Live Mail > Poppa Account > Inbox.

Email 1 is a normal received email.
Email 2 is one moved from AppData > Windows Mail > Local Folders > Inbox.
Email 3 is one saved to desktop and moved to: AppData > Windows Live Mail > Poppa Account > Inbox.



Windows Mail-wlm-appdata.png


This is a corresponding view of WinLiveMail.exe interface. The full email address has been hidden for security reasons.



Windows Mail-wlm.exe-interface.png

Emails 2 & 3 appear with "< craparrows.com >" format.


Phew! Any comments you would like to add?

Cheers PB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #703
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
... However, I could not import from Windows Mail folder in program files. I had to browse to Local Folders as the target folder form which to import, using the following pathway:

Start --> User name --> AppData --> Local --> Microsoft --> Windows Mail --> Local Folders.
Of course Program files would not work since that is not the message store location. But perhaps the wizard would be smart enough to find them even if you were one folder higher in the AppData Explorer tree: "Windows Mail".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2010   #704
poppa bear

Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
QUOTE]Of course Program files would not work since that is not the message store location. But perhaps the wizard would be smart enough to find them even if you were one folder higher in the AppData Explorer tree: "Windows Mail".
You were dead right. Imported with selected source folder being Windows Mail and came across fine.

Cheers PB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #705
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
To Greg S.


1. The type of file used in the messages to be moved.

Emails saved to desktop from the interface of WinLiveMail.exe or WinMail.exe are .eml files and are different to the type stored on the hard drive in Local Folders under AppData. The ones stored in Local Folders are linked files. The ones on desktop are stand alone. For this reason:
I commend you for finding the source of my head banging but the stored email in Local Folders or Storage Folders in AppData are indeed .eml files and can be read easily with a text editor.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poppa bear View Post
- .eml emails saved to desktop can be successfully drag/dropped into the interface of either WinLiveMail.exe or WinMail.exe.
I find that this does not work for me. It's the same duplication factor with arrows routine. Unless, you are saying to hightlight/select all emails within the client, then right click and save. If so, I did not try that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #706
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Question: Does one have to install Live Messenger to be able to change the icon next to the SignIn? You know, the one that looks like Gort from the 1951 SciFi movie The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Windows Mail-untitled.pngWindows Mail-untitled2.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #707
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Question: Does one have to install Live Messenger to be able to change the icon next to the SignIn?
I went to the live.com home page, edited my profile picture from the default, and noticed it did not change the icon in WLM (either on the main page in the upper right corner or within the signed-in contacts list). Guess we'll have to try messenger or search the help files for information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #708
Greg S

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Question: Does one have to install Live Messenger to be able to change the icon next to the SignIn?
I went to the live.com home page, edited my profile picture from the default, and noticed it did not change the icon in WLM (either on the main page in the upper right corner or within the signed-in contacts list). Guess we'll have to try messenger or search the help files for information.
Thanks ron, is that the profile you get to by the drop down menu nexe to the icon? I've changed that icon in that profile, but WLM doesn't reflect the change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #709
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

I have a version of Win Live Mail beta running on a test machine and it does have the same avatar as my live messager has. It will be interesting to see if it can be changed to have two differnt ones on the same account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Mail




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
How can I make Windows Mail message store work in Windows Live Mail
My sister-in-law’s Window Mail is now inoperative and now wants to use Windows Live Mail instead. I have installed a Windows Live Mail POP account for her on my computer which is working satisfactory but she wants her old Windows Mail messages. I managed to have save her Windows Mail message...
Browsers & Mail
windows 7 32bit live mail with time warner wi rr/ sending e-mail
I can receive mail and send mail but the target does not receive it, I get no error message but my sent box says it was sent, this has been going on now for about at least three weeks, I have sent mail out of roadrunner direct with no problem, I have been using this program for about three years...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App