Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7

07 Jun 2010   #50
toughbook

 
 

By reading the Disk info under System Components, See Screenshot please-How can you tell by the numbers if your offset it correct? What numbers am I looking for?




Attached Images
SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7-capture.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jun 2010   #51
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Partition starting offset (1MB) - 4th from the bottom.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2010   #52
lightningltd

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Your offset is 1MB, which is correct for the Samsung
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2010   #53
Ramesh Rawat

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Sir,
with reference to : Optimizing Windows 7 for the SSD and TRIM part 2
Among the Startup Event, I find UBPM, when I try to unmark the Enabled, it prompts "Access Denied"
Where am I going wrong?
Please.

2nd point is about the startup time, it varies between 56 to 59 seconds.
Can this be further decreased. Just out of curiosity.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jun 2010   #54
lightningltd

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ramesh Rawat View Post
Sir,
with reference to : Optimizing Windows 7 for the SSD and TRIM part 2
Among the Startup Event, I find UBPM, when I try to unmark the Enabled, it prompts "Access Denied"
Where am I going wrong?
Please.

2nd point is about the startup time, it varies between 56 to 59 seconds.
Can this be further decreased. Just out of curiosity.
UBPM is necessary for task manager, etc... Leave it enabled. see folllowing link for info on it.
http://www.ditii.com/2009/10/05/unif...erver-2008-r2/

56 seconds total or from the time BIOS releases control to the boot device?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2010   #55
Ramesh Rawat

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Thanks for the reply, Lightning.
Now after reading your reply, I again checked up and found that the UBPM was disabled, though that time it was denying access, it was disabled. So First I enabled it, and again it says Access denied, but it got enabled.
I am pleased.
Total time from the time I press the Power On till I get the desktop and the response of rightclick it takes between 56 to 59 seconds.
I also tried "Restart-Time Check" software it shows 56 and some times 59 seconds time taken to start.
The sequence of activities that appears on the screen I will note and again post the details. I see the LogOn screen twice i.e. it appears for a few seconds and again the black screen and then appears. The time taken for the POST Flash screen to appear is about 24 to 30 seconds (not very precisely measured) After 'Windows Starting" screen same amount of time is taken for the desktop to appear.
And I am not satisfied!! Expecting less than 40 seconds.
regards Lightning.
RR
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2010   #56
lightningltd

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ramesh Rawat View Post
Thanks for the reply, Lightning.
Now after reading your reply, I again checked up and found that the UBPM was disabled, though that time it was denying access, it was disabled. So First I enabled it, and again it says Access denied, but it got enabled.
I am pleased.
Total time from the time I press the Power On till I get the desktop and the response of rightclick it takes between 56 to 59 seconds.
I also tried "Restart-Time Check" software it shows 56 and some times 59 seconds time taken to start.
The sequence of activities that appears on the screen I will note and again post the details. I see the LogOn screen twice i.e. it appears for a few seconds and again the black screen and then appears. The time taken for the POST Flash screen to appear is about 24 to 30 seconds (not very precisely measured) After 'Windows Starting" screen same amount of time is taken for the desktop to appear.
And I am not satisfied!! Expecting less than 40 seconds.
regards Lightning.
RR
The amount of time it takes mine (laptop with OCZ Vertex LE) to boot from the end of POST to the desktop is 20-22 seconds. There is no tweak that I know of to make POST faster, short of turning off hardware detection, etc. As far as Windows 7 boot times (after POST), the fastest I have ever gotten was 14 seconds and that was with everything disabled (and therefore unusable in real life).
Boot times at least for me are not very important when compared to running times.. All my tweaks are geared to making Windows 7 faster running with SSDs after it boots.

FWIW, there is a lot of house keeping that is done during boot:
POST: check memory amount... Verify quickly RAM is functional... Check BIOS CRC.. Look for drives and mice, etc.. (the less drives plugged in, the faster POST gets! My wife has 24 USB drives plugged in and it takes 10 minutes to POST! I now have her unplug the main USB cable till after boot).
Windows Boot: Load statrup code.... get all the DLLs and stuff in memory... Look for critical hardware changes, etc...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2010   #57
Ramesh Rawat

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Understood Lightning,
Will stop bothering about the boot time.
I am forgetting how to put in the QUOTE here now, so copied here.

"Windows 7 boot times (after POST), the fastest I have ever gotten was 14 seconds and that was with everything disabled (and therefore unusable in real life).
Boot times at least for me are not very important when compared to running times.. "

Ramesh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #58
guibao

Win7_64
 
 

hey Lightning

Thank you very much for your great tutorial. It's the best compilation on the net so far.

BTW I wanted to ask you: the gadget you said was the most useful was Drives Meter. But it only shows disk info like free space and such, not I/O.
The one that shows I/O is Drives Monitor, under Tools and Utilities.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again! Great job!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2010   #59
lightningltd

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by guibao View Post
hey Lightning

Thank you very much for your great tutorial. It's the best compilation on the net so far.

BTW I wanted to ask you: the gadget you said was the most useful was Drives Meter. But it only shows disk info like free space and such, not I/O.
The one that shows I/O is Drives Monitor, under Tools and Utilities.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again! Great job!
The one I use is called "Drive Meter" from Hans Olav... It shows all the IO from the drives at the controller level.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Many Registry Tweaks For Windows 7
I have gathered these over the years and have used many of them. Always backup your registry before using any of these. Make a restore point as well if you wish. I hope they come in handy. After Applying any of these tweaks, restart your PC.
Performance & Maintenance
advance tweaks for windows 7
i have tweak my system for performance but i want more tweaks
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 slates "this Christmas," touch optimizations in 2011
More - Windows 7 slates "this Christmas," touch optimizations in 2011
News
Tweaks/Optimizations for a old Win7 desktop?
Hi all, I recently installed the Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day trial on my old Compaq desktop with a 1.7GHz Intel Pentium 4, 1.2GB DDR RAM, 80GB HDD, and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory. The machine is running good, a lot better than I expected, having it...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Optimizations
Bored, Screwing around with Windows 7 Optimizations. Post yours! Any will do, I'll start. Menushowdelay = 1 Start > Regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop
Performance & Maintenance
Tweaks for Windows 7
Hey finally downloaded after 2 hrs ;) Anyone got tweaks for it? where do we turn off the defrag scheduler? Where do we turn off the defender, anything that tends to run in the background and slowing you down without you knowing why?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:47.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App