Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

02 Nov 2010   #60
shadowninty

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 RC | Windows XP x86 SP3 | Ubuntu 10.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alaskalady View Post
I am still really confused! I did manage to find the name & location of the sata drivers, but after spending 3 hours online with Dell, I still cannot get the name and location of the .inf file for sata drives. Any ideas on how to find this information out and am I going about this right or wrong? Appreciate any help, but please talk in simple terms as some terminology goes over my head. *grin*
You can open the driver exe's with winrar, thete you will find the inf(s)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Nov 2010   #61
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alaskalady View Post
Am trying to slipstream a sata driver so I can do a dual boot - have new computer with Windows 7, but need to also have XP to run older programs that won't install on 7. This is a great tut, however the pics are so small I cannot makeout any detail so am having a difficult time trying to follow directions. I got down to the section on integrating drivers and am stuck. Please help. I checked the hardware on my system to get driver names, then copied them to the install folder on my hard drive. I found them under system32\drivers - one is named disk.sys and one named partmgr.sys Now it says to locate the sata inf folder - could someone tell me where it is located and what it is named? I located an inf folder with same name as one of the driver files, could this be it? Sorry to be so slow on the uptake and appreciate any help you could give.
1) You can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them.

2) You need to download your Sata Controller Drivers, what Sata Controller do you have?

3) First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.
If your Win XP CD, does not support your Sata Controller, you will need to load drivers to uses at F6.
Load Sata Controller drivers with a floppy disk is the best way.

SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
OR
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs
Dont Know What Hardware You Have..??
VistaForums SysInfo Tool - Vista Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #62
alaskalady

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
You can open the driver exe's with winrar, thete you will find the inf(s)

Do you mean to open the .sys file with winrar? Are you saying that the .inf file is located within the .sys file. Sorry but that does not make any sense to me.

In the instructions on slipstreaming it asks you to copy the sata drivers and the .inf file over to the new setup file. In order to do this you have to locate the driver files and the .inf file. I have found the names and location of my 2 sata drivers. I cannot find the actual name or location of the .inf file.

Sorry if I am just slow and not understanding your explanation or if I did not explain my question good enough. I am elderly and having problems trying to install XP as a 2nd boot system. I need it because Win 7 will not run many of my programs as they are older, but they will run fine under XP. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2010   #63
shadowninty

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 RC | Windows XP x86 SP3 | Ubuntu 10.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alaskalady View Post
Quote:
You can open the driver exe's with winrar, thete you will find the inf(s)

Do you mean to open the .sys file with winrar? Are you saying that the .inf file is located within the .sys file. Sorry but that does not make any sense to me.

In the instructions on slipstreaming it asks you to copy the sata drivers and the .inf file over to the new setup file. In order to do this you have to locate the driver files and the .inf file. I have found the names and location of my 2 sata drivers. I cannot find the actual name or location of the .inf file.

Sorry if I am just slow and not understanding your explanation or if I did not explain my question good enough. I am elderly and having problems trying to install XP as a 2nd boot system. I need it because Win 7 will not run many of my programs as they are older, but they will run fine under XP. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
No I was reffering to the driver exe (self-extracting)
I am afraid my knowledge is limited here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2010   #64
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alaskalady View Post
Am trying to slipstream a sata driver so I can do a dual boot - have new computer with Windows 7, but need to also have XP to run older programs that won't install on 7. This is a great tut, however the pics are so small I cannot makeout any detail so am having a difficult time trying to follow directions. I got down to the section on integrating drivers and am stuck. Please help. I checked the hardware on my system to get driver names, then copied them to the install folder on my hard drive. I found them under system32\drivers - one is named disk.sys and one named partmgr.sys Now it says to locate the sata inf folder - could someone tell me where it is located and what it is named? I located an inf folder with same name as one of the driver files, could this be it? Sorry to be so slow on the uptake and appreciate any help you could give.
1) You can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them.

2) You need to download your Sata Controller Drivers, what Sata Controller do you have?

3) First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.
If your Win XP CD, does not support your Sata Controller, you will need to load drivers to uses at F6.
Load Sata Controller drivers with a floppy disk is the best way.

SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
OR
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs
Dont Know What Hardware You Have..??
VistaForums SysInfo Tool - Vista Forums
What Sata Controller do you have?

SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD-sata.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2010   #65
hedgehoghappy

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Hi Happy here,
Im sorry if this seems really thick but how do i know which driver to copy/paste?

i know that its in system32, but there are 3 files with driver in the file name, all containing what i believe to be drivers, its slightly frustrating as although this is a very good tutorial, theres little detail for the less IT literate among us
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2010   #66
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hedgehoghappy View Post
Hi Happy here,
Im sorry if this seems really thick but how do i know which driver to copy/paste?

i know that its in system32, but there are 3 files with driver in the file name, all containing what i believe to be drivers, its slightly frustrating as although this is a very good tutorial, theres little detail for the less IT literate among us
First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.Check with your tag No:
Dell - Drivers and Downloads
If your Win XP CD, does not support your Sata Controller, you will need to load drivers to uses at F6.

Load Sata Controller drivers with a floppy disk is the best way.
SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
OR
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Your Dell Inspiron 15 has a Intel Sata Controller.
You can download your F6 Sata Controller drivers from here:

Intel Sata Controller Drivers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2010   #67
Daral3

win 7 ultimate x86
 
 
new partition not displayed, Win7 with dual Xp install

The procedure is straightforward, yet the newly created partition is not displayed at install. Should more be slipstreamed into the Xp install disk besides nvstor32.inf? Warmest regards and thanks for the info!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #68
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Daral3 View Post
The procedure is straightforward, yet the newly created partition is not displayed at install. Should more be slipstreamed into the Xp install disk besides nvstor32.inf? Warmest regards and thanks for the info!
Slipsteaming your Sata Controller drivers will not create a new partition.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.
HP Support & Drivers

If your Win XP CD, does not support your Sata Controller, you will need to load drivers to uses at F6.

Load Sata Controller drivers with a floppy disk is the best way.
SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
OR
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

You can download your F6 Sata Controller drivers from here:
General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops - HP Support Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #69
Daral3

win 7 ultimate x86
 
 
Slipstreaming SATA drivers for Xp dual boot with Win7

Thanks, theog! Truly valuable info and advice. I am eager to continue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Create slipstream install usb w/drivers/updates?
I purchased a new SSD and doing a fresh install. I am curious if it would be easier or ideal to create an installation disk/usb with all the added windows updates and drivers for my system(if possible)? Originally I had Windows Vista Ultimate and then upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. So, I have the...
General Discussion
Slipstream SATA drivers into XP setupCD,which driver to be chosen,pls?
Hell All, I am trying to slipstream SATA drivers into Windows XP setup CD for dual boot with window 7 following this tutorial in method two (window 7 is installed first) https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/72185-sata-drivers-slipstream-into-windows-xp-cd.html . at step 12 to...
Installation & Setup
SATA driver for Windows XP Slipstream
I would like to try installing a dual boot of Windows XP Professional x86 with Windows 7 Professional x64 on a single hard drive. I gave up last time but decided to try one last time. My question is about the SATA driver for my Seagate Barracuda HD. Now, the XP Professional x86 I am going...
Installation & Setup
Possible to slipstream all W7 drivers to XP CD?
I'm new to slipstreaming and my question isn't really how to slipstream (there are great tutorials here I've been reading) but rather if it's possible to copy the drivers from my W7 DVD to essentially make XP installable on newer hardware and capable of detecting with newer hardware and devices. ...
Drivers
Slipstream Drivers and N-light.
Ok, I'm currently in the process of setting up xp as a dual boot option on my windows 7 rig. Since im running in RAID I needed to slipsteam the drivers for xp via nlight. (which I did) I slipstreamed them via txt mode and am now currently burning the disc. Do I have to do anything to get...
Drivers
How to slipstream graphics drivers
I have the Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset on my Asus P5Q-EM DO motherboard. Video drivers installed with Windows Beta 7057 worked perfectly but when I clean-installed Windows 7100 RC, the drivers were updated to a newer version and now my desktop and background video gets totally corrupted after...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App